Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Dress
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 1:43 am
Can an 18 month old wear a Shabbos dress or is that weird?
Monsey area.

lovecouches

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 2:57 am
As opposed to pants? Or those weird outfits that look like you forgot to put your kid on their skirt or pants. I can't wait for my baby to start walking so I can put her in cute little short dresses.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 3:32 am
My daughters wear dresses since they are born. I put whatever is cute on them. They have a mix of dresses and pant outfits in the summer (usually more pants in winter) until they switch to only dresses/skirts

amother
Kiwi

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 3:48 am
It’s not really done. Keep her in rompers until she’s toilet trained

amother
Birch

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 3:49 am
amother OP wrote:
Can an 18 month old wear a Shabbos dress or is that weird?
Monsey area.

It’s weird

amother
Nasturtium

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 5:35 am
Ya kinda weird.
I totally get wanting to get to the dress stage already- you'll get there soon iyh!

lovecouches

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 6:29 am
LovesHashem wrote:
My daughters wear dresses since they are born. I put whatever is cute on them. They have a mix of dresses and pant outfits in the summer (usually more pants in winter) until they switch to only dresses/skirts

I don't put on dresses when crawling cuz they ride up. Though I did have a few dresses. I'm just glad I don't live in america and don't feel the need to put my baby on clothes that I don't like. I have seen babies in every type of outfit.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 12:08 pm
She’s very reliably walking. Not crawling at all. So that’s why I asked. But I hear-I’ll stick to the two pieces and rompers! Want to stay normal!

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 12:12 pm
I actually think cute very short dresses with tights are adorable on young toddlers!!

As long as they are steady walkers.

I think rompers look stupid on babies past the crawling stage.

amother
Strawberry

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 12:13 pm
I have two boys and then a girl so I put her in dresses right away! Mostly for Shabbos not weekday. As long as they were cute dresses at a good length (not too long) it looked adorable

amother
Thistle

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 12:14 pm
Really short dresses with tights can be cute. Ones that barely cover her diaper. Once they are walking you can go either way. Enough people in monsey do it that it’s not “weird”.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 12:14 pm
I love dresses on little girls!

I don't do it for crawling babies because it makes it harder for them, but once they are walking it's adorable!

amother
Maple

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 12:17 pm
I put my walking dd in a dress at that age for shabbos or special occasions
Super short lol but so cute
I did also use either a diaper cover or tights depending on the season, because you don't want the diaper showing...

I also put her in a dress at 3 mo for a very close wedding. The "dress" barely covered her thighs and omg was it the cutest thing ever
(Yeshivish/jpf in lakewood)

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 12:19 pm
I don't think I would until 2. It can look cute but rompers or sets is really the look now

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 12:43 pm
I totally disagree. I dress my daughter very nicely (and up to date) and she looked adorable in short dresses starting at about 12 months. She was walking from 10 months and has a slender/tall body type. By 18 months rompers pretty much looked ridiculous. I really think it depends on the kid, but most kids will look cute in a short dress by 18 months.

amother
Tuberose

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 1:01 pm
[quote="amother OP"]Can an 18 month old wear a Shabbos dress or is that weird?
Monsey area.[/quote
Yes a dress with tights is fine for an18 month old- that’s a toddler already. Is she walking? 12 months and under I would say no. But 18 months isn’t a little baby anymore. Dresses and tights and sweater sets are cute still.

amother
Tuberose

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 1:02 pm
[quote="amother Ghostwhite"]I don't think I would until 2. It can look cute but rompers or sets is really the look now[/quote
Rompers is too immature for 18 months in my opinion. Especially for winter kinda inconvenient

amother
Tuberose

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 1:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
She’s very reliably walking. Not crawling at all. So that’s why I asked. But I hear-I’ll stick to the two pieces and rompers! Want to stay normal!

No if she’s walking go with dresses! And two pieces too.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 1:03 pm
My 18m old wore a dress. So cute!!

zaq

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 2:27 pm
Why not, as long as it's not long enough to trip her up when she walks?

Fascinating fact: As late as the 1920s, children of both genders wore dresses until the age of three to make diapering easier. So if you're confused looking at a photo of four cute little girls in Great-Grandma's photo album when you know she had two boys and two girls, two of those "girls" are Great-Uncles Harry and Maurice.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics