Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Greysheet is cult

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 12:46 am
I remember Greysheet from when I was in high school in the '70s. OA was horrible in those days. The sponsors I experienced were emotionaly unsober.

I thought Greysheet was buried in its grave.

I was horrified to see raised its ugly cultish head again.

I have a dear friend who says she gets clarity from it. Losing some weight. But she admits she can't tell her "sponsor" she used sugarless cough drops when she was sick.

What kind of recovery relationship is that??? It seems that nothing changed since the 1970/80"s.

We are all autonomous adults. This black & white thinking just fosters the shame that can trigger secret binging.

This is my experience. OA and Greysheet made me obsess more about food.

I understand food obsession. I understand if someone needs to avoid trigger foods and learn healthy portions. Gd help us with all the fressin at shuls and schools.

And Gd help us with the eating disorders and shame that not only our young women suffer from, but men too.

I see the shaming and mixed messages.

(I refuse to "qualify" by telling my weight. I don't want to feed body dysmorphia that's troubles our community). My eating habits are imperfect. Im not a role model. But I have had a healthy, stable for over 35 years-old.

I love Alanon and ACA. They help me with the core issues. I didn't know what basic needs are until ACA ! I stopped the Religious Bypassing. I think ACA will help me be better role model about food to my adult daughter.

I'm not interested in receiving replies -- cross talk. If you love greysheet, keep it to yourself.

I'm sharing my experience so other Jews who are suffering and ashamed know there are options in recovery.

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 12:59 am
It's not cross- talk, you're not sharing in a meeting here. I'd like to simply suggest being that you were a teenager when you were introduced to oa/greysheet that you may have a different understanding of it all if you review it as an adult. It's beautiful and life changing for true food addicts (also maybe you aren't one?)

If you choose to, maybe the set- aside prayer can help you come to center... I'll post it:

God, today help me set aside everything I think I know about You, everything I think I know about myself, everything I think I know about others, and everything I think I know about my own recovery so I may have an open mind and a new experience with all these things. Please help me see the truth

To be honest, considering you're in al-anon etc I'm surprised at your passionate views...

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 1:01 am
To each her own
May everyone find what works for her

realsilver

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 1:24 am
how is this comparable to the TLC program?

S-HappyMama

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 1:57 am
I really sympathize with the bad experiences you had in OA and graysheet (which are NOT synonymous). However, there are so many different kinds of fellowships today! And even more kinds of sponsors. Sometimes it takes a few tries till you find the right fit, both for the right group and the right sponsor.
ACA gets more to the root of the issues, whether they are eating or other compulsive behaviors, as so much of addiction germinates in the soil of childhood. And though the title says "children of alcoholics" it has a much broader range of who can be helped by it.
In my experience, if someone's been doing any 12 step program for many years and she still feels deprived, she probably needs additional ways to get to the roots so she can feel the freedom the 12 step program is meant to offer. I've found EFT tapping to be exceptional in addressing the deep-seated issues that make us turn to... whatever we turn to, without even realizing it. (EFT is an energy-based method that taps on meridian points to release what the body and unconscious are holding onto.) EFT tapping doesn't just look at those issues, it actually helps us release them, and sometimes without even directly addressing them or understanding what they are. It's perfectly compatible with 12 steps, though some people find that when they really clear the roots, they no longer need the structure of 12 steps. There are also specific EFT tools for overeating.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise