Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
S/o your favorite Jewish videos growing up
1  2  Next

GrowingUp

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 3:01 pm
I found myself getting so nostalgic from the "favorite novel as a teenager thread" so decided so start this.

There was very little in the way of Jewish videos when I was growing up in the 90's.
Wondering what everyone's favorites were.

As a kid, of course Uncle Moishy. And 613 Torah Avenue, we had the amusement park one. Don't know if there were others.

As I got older, I enjoyed the Hasc concerts, especially the year where they did a play with lots of acting. I don't remember the story line, but there was a lot of snow.

Please add yours!

GrowingUp

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 3:02 pm
Oh I almost forgot Uncle Yossi's stories. Sarah pick up the dime, and the chandelier story. The animations were so rudimentary compared to the standards today, but we loved them and rewatched them all the time!

tigerwife

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 3:04 pm
We knew the Miami Experience concerts (1991-1995) cold. The Hasc concert that was a play (maybe Hasc 8?) was also amazing.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 3:12 pm
The Oorah shmorg DVDs!

amother
Apple

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 3:13 pm
I grew up in the 80's.

Lights- the Chanukah animation we watched every year in school. It wasn't Chanukah without it.

Does anyone remember Barba Abba and Barba Ima? They were blobs....

(Add albums and I have a ton, but there were no Uncle Moishy videos when I was a kid. We got our first VCR when I was in elementary school- it was a beta. Before that, we rented a machine with the video if we wanted to play something.... )

ETA I found Lights on YouTube! Who knew it was narrated by Judd Hirsch and has voices by Leonard Nemoy. Those floaty flitty glowy letters have stuck with me.

https://youtu.be/Pm0NEeWDZqc?s.....5A1dj

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 3:15 pm
I think I was around 11 or 12 but I remember loving From Outside the Camp (BYDM's play one year).

We didn't really watch too many Jewish ones besides the Shmorg and Hasc concerts.

Hashemlovesme1

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 3:17 pm
613 Torah Ave- we had beraishis and shemos. We loved them!

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 3:18 pm
Life for Greytowers was my favorite! The same producers also made some camp centered videos that were awesome.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 3:20 pm
Miami Boys Choir
Light for Greytowers
The Heart that Sings

Plonis bas Plonis

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 3:45 pm
The ones that are only shown on chol hamoed Smile

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 3:50 pm
Torah tots concerts
Punchkees

Not my favorites lol but very memorable

menu22

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 3:50 pm
Middos machine
Uncle pinchy

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 3:53 pm
When zeidy was young.

coffee icecream

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 3:56 pm
Punchkees
Someone's watching
I'm a chossid
Hand in hand
Bubbies boarding (or as we said it , boring) house Smile

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 4:01 pm
amother Emerald wrote:
Life for Greytowers was my favorite! The same producers also made some camp centered videos that were awesome.

I’m in all of those!!!! It’s always weird to realize that people actually watched them!

It’s insane that as of summer 2024, it will have been 20 years since we filmed A Light for Greytowers 😅

(Updated to switch from posting under my username to anonymous. If you know me, you know me 😉)

Last edited by amother on Wed, Dec 27 2023, 4:52 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 4:11 pm
I have very vague memories of a video of a boy named Shabsi, who was sick in bed and people came to visit him. It was animated. Anyone know what I’m talking about?
I think at some point there was something flying by the ceiling, but maybe I’m mixing it up with something else.

SYA

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 4:38 pm
Quoting: I’m in all of those!!!! It’s always weird to realize that people actually watched them!

It’s insane that as of summer 2024, it will have been 20 years since we filmed A Light for Greytowers 😅

(Gonna edit and go anonymous in 24 hours) / end quite

Quoted from a poster above who wishes to change to anonymous.

They’re on toveedo now.
Light for Greytowers, the heart that sings, operation candlelight, young detectives of tzfas 1 & 2, portraits of faith, roots journey home and 5 camp Bnos Yisroel girls

amother
PlumPink

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 4:42 pm
Don’t really remember having any Jewish videos when I was growing up. I vaguely remember watching rechov sumsum. The Hebrew Sesame Street.

amother
Chambray

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 4:47 pm
The Marvelous Middos Machine! Those were the best. We only had the audio tapes but my friend had the video tapes which were even better.

We also had Lamdeini about the alef bet, though that may have been late 80s.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 4:48 pm
tigerwife wrote:
We knew the Miami Experience concerts (1991-1995) cold. The Hasc concert that was a play (maybe Hasc 8?) was also amazing.

Hasc 7 was the play. We loved that concert and watched it over and over. It came on 2 CDs as DVDs weren't a thing then. It had I think 3 stories-the main one running through was the boy with his grandfather, who at the end turned out to have the brother with special needs, and that was when they all sang hamalach and possibly who am I with abie rotenberg. The first story was MBD at the time of the spanish inquisition and something about them missing the boat. Then was the main one with Von Tippish and the boy rabbi. Then was the one set in the snow with the russian or german and MBC came on as soldiers and did the milchoma song.
That was the same year that Miami did their play-on the road to yerushalyim about the boy who davened too fast and messed around and got sent to Israel for the summer and found himself and yiddishkeit. I just remember the song about being a mentsch.
There was a couple of israeli films that we had-one was something about a false moshiach and something to do with a factory.
We also had all the other hasc concerts. There was a couple of Ohel concerts as well.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics