Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Non Jewish neighbor

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 6:41 am
I have a non jewish neighbor that goes out of her way for me and my family constantly she always sweeping the leaves and taking in our packages and putting out our garbage before I even get a chance to do it. For Chanukkah she got my kids toys all wrapped up in chanukkah wrapping paper we were so appreciative. Is it appropriate to give her a gift today for her holiday Xmas?

amother
Moonstone

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 6:45 am
We were told we can't give specifically for x-mas, but we can give for new years/holiday season. We write on the card happy holidays & we give closer to new years.

amother
Watermelon

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 6:49 am
I, personally, would give her one before. being too late for that, I would do it tomorrow or this coming week.
but that is entirely my own personal comfort opinion. I just wouldn't feel comfortable giving an Xmas gift in such a one-to-one way. (like I would give my mail person a "holiday thank you" around this time or pool into a fund that might be given out today, but a hand off feels very much celebratory imo)

I think for some religious xtians the period until new years is still in the "holiday season" so I think that would still read as a holiday gift without being too xmassy

Tzutzie

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 6:50 am
amother Moonstone wrote:
We were told we can't give specifically for x-mas, but we can give for new years/holiday season. We write on the card happy holidays & we give closer to new years.

This!

TravelHearter

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 6:55 am
Ask a shaila. There are actually halachos about giving gifts to non Jews.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 7:06 am
Thank you! I knew I wasn't so comfortable with it! It wasn't sitting well with me will definitely ask a rov. I just felt I had to reciprocate back because she went out of her way to go my kids gifts for
Our holiday

amother
Moonstone

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 7:10 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you! I knew I wasn't so comfortable with it! It wasn't sitting well with me will definitely ask a rov. I just felt I had to reciprocate back because she went out of her way to go my kids gifts for
Our holiday

Definitely reciprocate. Just ask your Rav how to go about it.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 7:28 am
We did give our neighbor a gift on x-mas (and it was usually a x-mas themed gift) but we’d write on the note that it was for being the best neighbor or something like that. Not mentioning the holidays at all.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics