Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Philadelphia

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 10:19 pm
Anyone can give some insight into this community? Tried looking online for names of schools, shuls etc and had a hard time getting a feel for the area.

Looking at elementary schools for boys and girls. Plus soon high schools... what are the schools like?
Zip codes for housing?

Left wing yeshivish family (so DH doesn't wear black and white but I cover hair completely, girls in knee socks, not in kollel.)

shanie5

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 10:30 pm
There are more than one area of jewish communities in philly. Do you know which area you are looking in?
DD lives in the northeast and would be happy to talk to you. If you pm me I can give you her number.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Mon, Dec 25 2023, 10:39 pm
Philadelphia is a wonderful frum community. There are multiple options of neighborhoods.
The neighborhoods are quite a distance from each other. Start by exploring Bala Cynwyd or Northeast Philadelphia. There are also multiple schools. But for your description, start with these
Elementary school options for boys
Politz, caskey Torah Academy, or Yeshiva Ketana
For girls: Politz or Caskey Torah Academy
High school: Girls: KTA Kosloff Torah Academy
Boys: the mesivta

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 2:46 am
Not sure about any area. Just trying to get ideas of places we might be comfortable moving to. Friend recommended we look into there but they don't have recent information...
So any info on a community you think fits... I know, vague- right?
I can't ask anyone else in real life because don't want people to know we are thinking of leaving.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 2:58 pm
Bump. Anyone know about Phili?

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 5:56 pm
The Northeast might fit you (Ahavas Torah shul) but you should visit for Shabbos and talk to people there.
shul website

amother
Hawthorn

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 5:26 pm
Would you consider Cherry Hill?

saralem

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 5:52 pm
Bala Cynwyd has multiple Shuls. LMS is huge and definitely MO. There’s also Chabad, kollel, Young Israel yeshivish. And more. The schools are high quality overall. Wonderful place to live.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 6:06 pm
What's the cost of living?
Cost of 3 or 4 BR home? What is a zip code to check zillow?

Can someone describe the schools? Any have smaller classes? Or wiling to work with kids who have different needs such as enrichment or modifications? I have 1 of each type of learner- one who reads 4 grade levels above and one who needs help.

amother
Vanilla

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 6:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
Anyone can give some insight into this community? Tried looking online for names of schools, shuls etc and had a hard time getting a feel for the area.

Looking at elementary schools for boys and girls. Plus soon high schools... what are the schools like?
Zip codes for housing?

Left wing yeshivish family (so DH doesn't wear black and white but I cover hair completely, girls in knee socks, not in kollel.)

Can you please explain left wing yeshivish more? I never heard of this term before.

I'm not from Philly but considering the Somerton community in Philly.
The zip code is 19116

amother
Hawthorn

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 6:15 pm
Cherry hill zip code is 08002 but there's a specific area where most frum ppl live (in the eruv) - this is the eruv map but most live north of chapel ave. very few below that https://www.google.com/maps/d/.....;z=15
Most houses are between 350 and 500 but market has been pretty slow - very slow trickle of houses.
There's one elementary school with small to mid size classes (under 20) but some families send to schools in philadelphia (30-45 minutes away)

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 11:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
What's the cost of living?
Cost of 3 or 4 BR home? What is a zip code to check zillow?

You're talking about many communities spread apart. There's the Northeast, Elkins Park, Bala Cynwyd, Lower Merion, and probably one or two more I can't think of right now. There's not one zip code

amother
Lightgray

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 3:18 pm
amother Purple wrote:
You're talking about many communities spread apart. There's the Northeast, Elkins Park, Bala Cynwyd, Lower Merion, and probably one or two more I can't think of right now. There's not one zip code

Which community has the lowest price for houses?

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 3:41 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:
Can you please explain left wing yeshivish more? I never heard of this term before.

When I hear it, I assume it is a family that generally aligns itself with the yeshivish world and asks its shailas to a yeshivish rav, but is less insular and may not dress totally in the box. YMMV. I don't know exactly what OP meant.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 3:42 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:

I'm not from Philly but considering the Somerton community in Philly.
The zip code is 19116

That's what I was told the term was. Some of the values of Yeshivish (monitoring outside influences, wanting strong Torah education) without the "must go to Kollel" vibe, the "men only wear black and white", and certain other in town mindsets.

I am not MO- I definitely don't fit in there. But maybe "OOT yeshivish"? I am more open minded and flexible than the kollel/yeshivish families I know well. I am too yeshivish for my MO friends but too left and modern for my yeshivish friends.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 3:44 pm
amother Lightcoral wrote:
When I hear it, I assume it is a family that generally aligns itself with the yeshivish world and asks its shailas to a yeshivish rav, but is less insular and may not dress totally in the box. YMMV. I don't know exactly what OP meant.

This too. I ask shailas to shtark rabbanim and follow halacha strictly. But at the same time I don't believe every single person belongs in kollel. Maybe I am yekkish at heart as isn't this R' Hirsch's derech? I do like to be on time too LOL.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 3:45 pm
You might want to try the Northeast, Ahavas Torah
Or Elkins Park, Young Israel
These two are going to be the most affordable arras’s
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating