Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Summer and toddlers

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 8:10 pm
I'm a FTM. Putting that disclaimer out there.

My daughter will be 2.5 by the time summer comes around. I will be working and will need childcare.

Do I send her to a summer camp? How does that work? Are there adults watching the kids or young teens?

Do I send her to a babysitter? They seem to have such short hours in the summer. She really needs activities at this point. I think she'd do much better with structured activities rather than free play all day.

Can someone tell me what the norm is?

I live in the Five Towns if anyone has recommendations.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 8:15 pm
What does she do during the year for childcare ?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 8:18 pm
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
What does she do during the year for childcare ?

She goes to a playgroup. She will be grown out of it by the end of the school year. Also, that babysitter has very short hours during the summer, so it wouldn't help me.

Wondering what my options are...

amother
Lightcoral

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 8:57 pm
I don't live in the area anymore so I don't know exact options. But JCC may have full day camp. Or any other day care setting.
Otherwise there are often adult run backyard camps for that age.
In my current town one of the big camps has a bunk for 2s, but idk if that's everywhere else too.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 9:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
She goes to a playgroup. She will be grown out of it by the end of the school year. Also, that babysitter has very short hours during the summer, so it wouldn't help me.

Wondering what my options are...

Maybe the other parents in the group would know? Or moms from shul or the block?

amother
Honey

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 9:14 pm
same situation my dd is being 2.5 in June. I will most likely end up keeping her in playgroup.. no choice
she will start morah after the summer and dont want her to go through so many changes shes still so young

amother
Snapdragon

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 9:28 pm
I'm not sure what you mean by playgroup and babysitter.
Around me, babysitter is usually until 18m or 24m and there is no program.
They have toys and maybe some riding toys, but its easy and relaxed and everyone naps whenever the mother prefers.

A playgroup is a higher ratio children to staff and has a program with davening, crafts, lunch.
A 2.5 year old needs stimulation and semi structure. You need a program with a Morah. Ask around, you may need to find a new place that offers better hours.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 5:23 pm
amother Snapdragon wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by playgroup and babysitter.
Around me, babysitter is usually until 18m or 24m and there is no program.
They have toys and maybe some riding toys, but its easy and relaxed and everyone naps whenever the mother prefers.

A playgroup is a higher ratio children to staff and has a program with davening, crafts, lunch.
A 2.5 year old needs stimulation and semi structure. You need a program with a Morah. Ask around, you may need to find a new place that offers better hours.

Got it. So she is at a babysitter now. She will be going to playgroup next year. Trying to figure out what to do in the summer.

She's really outgrown the babysitter. I think she would benefit from more of a playgroup/cam setting. I just don't know what 2 year old camp looks like. Who watches them? Who is changing diapers (if she isn't toilet trained by then...)?

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 8:21 pm
You need to send her to a playgroup.
little friends gan, jcc, gan chamesh all have summer programs for that age. They’re expensive though just warning you.
I’m sure there are more low key Morah’s that you can send to but idk of any
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics