Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
By request: AMA I played Clothilde in A Light for Greytowers
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 9:47 am
Filmed in the summer of 2004, it will soon be 20 years since A Light for Greytowers was made. It’s always an honor and a joy to hear how this film has touched women and girls around the world and become a “classic frum movie”.

I played Clothilde, aka “that clumsy girl who wore the mask thing” 😷

backstage photo, it’s legit cuz I wore my glasses between takes:

I love watching the behind-the-scenes/making-of documentaries about the films I love. I’ve watched all 4 commentary tracks on the Lord of the Rings films multiple times… movie making magic is something I’m passionate about, and I can talk about that for hours! I wish I could make a commentary track for Greytowers 😆

I feel sooo cringy starting an AMA, I don’t think of myself as any sort of celebrity, but I got several private messages asking for one.

So here I am!
🎬
And… action!

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 9:51 am
How did you get the role? Was filming fun or stressful?

peace2

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 9:53 am
That is so cool! On average, how many takes were needed to get a scene done?

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 9:55 am
Hi!!!
The friend who knew you since you were a baby

amother
Bellflower

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 9:56 am
Where is it filmed? New York? Are the actors paid?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 10:00 am
Kol Neshama started as a performing arts summer program for frum girls in Los Angeles in 2000.

For 6 weeks we had classes in acting, dancing and singing, mixed with rehearsal for a show in week 7. Every single camper was included in the performance, though of course some got bigger parts than others.

2000-2003 were all stage shows at a theater in Los Angeles. Summer 2002 was a stage version of the musical that would eventually become the film A Light for Greytowers. I played Clothilde in that one too (Anya and Emma were also played by the same actresses), though not all campers returned from year to year. At this point, most campers were still from Los Angeles, though we had a few girls who would board with families in town for the summer. (Eventually, like the by the time we filmed the Camp Bnos Yisroel series, we actually had enough girls from out of town to have a dorm!)

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 10:05 am
I saw it live in Los Angeles! My best friend at the time was one of the poor girls in a Light for Greytowers.
I remember her practicing the whole curtsey movement...
But I don't believe she went back the year it was filmed.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 10:10 am
Quote:
How did you get the role?

Every camper who attended the Kol Neshama summer program got a role in the film. We spent the first two weeks or so of camp taking general classes and going through an audition process.

Like I said, I had originated the role of Clothilde in the stage play version, so I was pretty hopeful I would get to play her again!

After we got our parts, we learned and rehearsed the scenes, songs and dances in a dance studio. We made some blocking (blocking = how people move around the space while they’re acting) decisions and adjustments once we got to the filming locations, but we learned a lot in about 2 weeks.

Quote:
Was filming fun or stressful?

Filming was hard work. We filmed for 12 hours a day for about 3-4 weeks. It was exhausting but also a lot of fun.

For example, setting up the lights and cameras could take a while, or they’d be filming a scene with just a few people in it, so we had to wait around quietly while being ready to go as soon as we were needed. The Harry Potter books were a popular pastime, as were crocheting and Set. We played so much Set.

Filming can also mess with your sense of the passage of time. All of the “nighttime dormitory scenes” were filmed during the day time. The windows were covered with a special bluish gel to make it look like nighttime outside. So we would get to set at 7am in the summer time when it was light out, film in the “dark” for hours, and come out at 7pm in the summer time when it was still light out!

Since we would show up and immediately change into our costumes, I (as one of the counselors) would organize silly clothing themes, like coming to camp in pajamas or clashing clothes. Silly little things like that helped us bond and get our energy out without disrupting the tight filming schedule.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 10:23 am
ooooh I love the work of Robin Garbose, really professional Jewish movies.
I would enter any raffle or giveway to win an hour lunch with her, just have so many questions on the process. Good for you that you got a chance to use your talents in a frum environment, you did a great job I watched the initial screening in Brooklyn as well as the DVD.
What would you tell frum parents who have children with a talent/interest in performing arts?

NechaMom

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 10:27 am
amother OP wrote:
Quote:
How did you get the role?

Every camper who attended the Kol Neshama camp got a role in the film. We spent the first two weeks or so of camp taking general classes and going through an audition process.

Like I said, I had originated the role of Clothilde in the stage play version, so I was pretty hopeful I would get to play her again!

After we got our parts, we learned and rehearsed the scenes, songs and dances in a dance studio. We made some blocking (blocking = how people move around the space while they’re acting) decisions and adjustments once we got to the filming locations, but we learned a lot in about 2 weeks.

Quote:
Was filming fun or stressful?

Filming was hard work. We filmed for 12 hours a day for about 3-4 weeks. It was exhausting but also a lot of fun.

I spy my favorite game!
So cool! And I also found 2 sets on that board! Very Happy

Rappel

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 10:37 am
There's a movie??

Where can I see it?

Rappel

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 10:37 am
Have you gone on to do other performing arts in life, or was this just summer fun?

NechaMom

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 10:38 am
Rappel wrote:
There's a movie??

Where can I see it?

It’s on a dvd. I should watch it again and find OP.

ftm1234

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 10:39 am
NechaMom wrote:
I spy my favorite game!
So cool! And I also found 2 sets on that board! Very Happy

lol was just gonna post this.

Wow this game is old

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 10:41 am
Did you meet little Ben Shapiro?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 10:41 am
Rappel wrote:
There's a movie??

Where can I see it?

https://toveedo.com/programs/a.....f25bd

https://mostlymusic.com/produc.....owers

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 10:43 am
amother Jetblack wrote:
Did you meet little Ben Shapiro?

Yes, I’ve been to his childhood home, as two of his sisters are in the movie 😄

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 10:51 am
Did you dream that one day we'd all be going around with masks like that? Wink

amother
Banana

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 10:53 am
amother OP wrote:
Yes, I’ve been to his childhood home, as two of his sisters are in the movie 😄

Ohhh cool! Now you can say that you and a celeb go 'way way back' Smile

peace2

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 10:57 am
I never actually saw the movie (but maybe I will after watching the trailer!) but it looks very professional for a frum film! Do you have any clue what the budget was?
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics