Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Chicken soup & vegetable

smile

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 2:55 pm
My family prefers chicken soup without any vegetables, so that it will have a chicken and not vegetable taste.
However, I find it bland.
So I was wondering is there, just the 1 vegetable that will enhance the chicken flavour in the chicken soup but not make it taste like vegetable soup.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 2:57 pm
I don't serve the vegetables in the soup on shabbos and it still tastes like chicken soup. The vegetables are what actually bring out the chicken flavor.

Lemonade 2323

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 2:57 pm
smile wrote:
My family prefers chicken soup without any vegetables, so that it will have a chicken and not vegetable taste.
However, I find it bland.
So I was wondering is there, just the 1 vegetable that will enhance the chicken flavour in the chicken soup but not make it taste like vegetable soup.

Celery. Enhances the taste without giving a veg taste.

Queen Of Hearts

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 3:03 pm
If you put enough chicken, bones, wings your soup will not taste like vegetable soup despite how much vegetables you put in.
If you want to put in the least possible I wouldn't skip onion and parsnip.

Brit in Israel

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 3:06 pm
Onion.
But put alot of the chicken bones- necks and soup packs (what my grandmother would call chicken skeletons) it is what gives the chicken flavour. and then you can add veg like carrots and zuccuni without affecting the taste.
Whites / breast and browns dont add anything. Wings a very little.

ap

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 7:23 pm
Garlic and carrots. Tastes delicious
Anything else and my family taste it

eduardo

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 7:32 pm
You can add all the vegetables but also lots of chicken (I do a broiler chicken plus necks in netting). I add onion, pepper, carrots, garlic, turnip and zucchini, parsley/dill (in net).

It tastes like chicken soup, not veggie soup. I happen to not like vegetables so I throw them out before serving

Lovable

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 8:27 pm
Knob celery
Gives the soup a delicious hearty flavor

care4u

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 8:30 pm
The trick is to put in a ton of Bones and then if they like chicken, you can also put in some whites or a whole chicken cut up.

Growing up, my mother's soup tasted very chickeny and she would put in just a few carrots, celery and at least 3 onions & years ago before they started selling chicken bones she would put in two whole chickens cut up but when they started selling the bones which were cheaper she would put in one whole chicken cut up and one pack of Bones for a bigger pot, and a half a chicken cut up for a smaller pot.

I like when it has more flavor from the vegetables so I put in parsnip and turnip and squash also but she did not and my soup tastes a little different than hers.

Levtov

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 8:33 pm
What you are supposed to do is: put all the vegetables in net bag (wrap n boil). cook it with soup and then discard . Soup will be delicious and no veggies will be seen.

smile

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 3:52 am
It's not about seeing the vegetables, I would not serve that.
But they would STILL taste the vegetables flavour.

But just plain chicken, makes it too plain.

DrMom

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 4:26 am
smile wrote:

So your family wants boiled chicken in water, and the idea is to add vegetables so that your family still thinks it is eating boiled chicken in water but you are actually eating something with vegetable flavor in it that they cannot detect?

Sounds tricky.

(BTW, what does everybody have against vegetables?)

care4u

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 8:10 am
smile wrote:

yes I'm repeating what I said - my mothers soup tastes very chickeny but take the idea of what different poster said and put these vegetables in a bag- assuming an 8 qt pot:
2-3 carrots, 2 stalks celery, 2 onions.

After you cook for at least 5 to 6 hours remove the bag.

And again you must put in a lot of chicken bones and chicken.

I find that garlic is a very strong flavoe and so is squash/zuchinni and those two things used to change the taste of my mother's soup dramatically.

yachnabobba

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 5:45 pm
How about herbs? Parsley? Dill? I use loads of that. Healthy and delicious

Brit in Israel

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 5:58 pm
OP what chicken do you use to make the soup?
It's the only thing that can give it a chicken taste but you have to use the correct type and amount.

Can you get soup packs in your butcher or grocery store? Put in the equivalent of 2 chickens and its guaranteed to taste like a good chicken soup.
You can add to that onion and a 2-3 carrots with definitely not affecting the taste.
If you like the chicken from the soup add as an addition which ever peices you want.

Eta a drop of sugar helps bring out the taste approx 1 tsp
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics