Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Why collect if there is an organization exactly to prevent t
1  2  Next

foreverone

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 8:32 pm
Why are there so many different tzedakah campaigns for almonos? Didn't they start Arevium for exactly this?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 8:36 pm
The organizations (as a whole. Not talking abt one specific one) must not help like we think they do.
I came to this conclusion because way way to often I see ads collecting for family about to get evicted and I think aren't there organizations for this??
Ads collecting for a family who doesn't have enough money for yom tov and I think aren't there organizations for this??

zigi

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 8:41 pm
The pricing structure of the program. If you are living pay check to paycheck. There is zero extra money, not everyone is aware of the program

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 8:43 pm
I think it pays to marry off the kids, not enough for day to day

happyone

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 8:55 pm
Not everyone has areivim. ( if you can't afford life insurance , YOU SHOULD !)
Areivim pays 100k per child under 18. That doesn't cover food, tuition, marrying off etc.
Which organization supports families that lost a parent? I cannot think of one. They provide support, some yo. Tov assistance, shabbatons etc. But daybto day expenses , who actually assists those families?

amother
Brickred

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 8:55 pm
Another way of making money. If you can collect, why not? It's sick honestly

amother
Hydrangea

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 9:00 pm
amother Brickred wrote:

Thats not really very nice, most of the time it's family members or others who see the situation but are unable to help themselves.

amother
Brickred

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 9:03 pm
amother Hydrangea wrote:
Thats not really very nice, most of the time it's family members or others who see the situation but are unable to help themselves.

Why aren't we pushing ppl to get life insurance when they are younger? It should be part of getting married/having your first baby. It's so cheap then for most ppl and can really help in this situation. And yes life insurance should be reevaluated as needed. The campaigns have completely gotten out of hand.

amother
Foxglove

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 9:03 pm
foreverone wrote:
Why are there so many different tzedakah campaigns for almonos? Didn't they start Arevium for exactly this?

Some of the organizations for almonos provide emotional support, get togethers etc and not financial assistance

As far as areivim, unfortunately not everyone is prepared for a worse case scenario. It's not our place to judge after the fact. No one is forcing you to give if you don't want to

amother
Foxglove

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 9:06 pm
amother Chartreuse wrote:
The organizations (as a whole. Not talking abt one specific one) must not help like we think they do.
I came to this conclusion because way way to often I see ads collecting for family about to get evicted and I think aren't there organizations for this??
Ads collecting for a family who doesn't have enough money for yom tov and I think aren't there organizations for this??

Which organization helps families who are evicted? I never heard of one.

And as far as yom tov, it's very hard to get from a lot of the organizations. Many if them only cater to chinuch/kollel families. One year dh and I were struggling a lot before pesach and none of the organizations agreed to help us. In the end our shul rav helped us out.

amother
Milk

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 9:08 pm
amother Brickred wrote:
Why aren't we pushing ppl to get life insurance when they are younger? It should be part of getting married/having your first baby. It's so cheap then for most ppl and can really help in this situation. And yes life insurance should be reevaluated as needed. The campaigns have completely gotten out of hand.

The untimely deaths have gotten out of hand

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 9:10 pm
amother Brickred wrote:

Im going to comment on this
We got a plan the week my oldest was born- a 30 year plan. Paying around $600 a year
She's just about 20 now, but we have a 5 year old.
We're trying to buy a new plan (and cancel the old one) but we're 20 years older. We have medical history, diagnosis, meds.
The cheapest we can get for a million is $300 a month (3600 a year).
That's not necessarily money that we have
We're probably going to do it but I'm not sure we're we'll find the money from
But just because we bought cheap affordable plans when we were 25 doesn't mean we're set until our youngest gets married.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 9:13 pm
happyone wrote:
Not everyone has areivim. ( if you can't afford life insurance , YOU SHOULD !)
Areivim pays 100k per child under 18. That doesn't cover food, tuition, marrying off etc.
Which organization supports families that lost a parent? I cannot think of one. They provide support, some yo. Tov assistance, shabbatons etc. But daybto day expenses , who actually assists those families?

It's now $150,000 per child.

But the reason there is often another fundraiser is that there won't be a second chance. That money will run out and they will be stuck. Now people will give out of Rachmonus and they can put away the money for then.

workout geek

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 9:15 pm
Some people have preexisting conditions that make it hard to get life insurance.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 9:16 pm
amother Brickred wrote:

Making money? They've lost either the primary breadwinner or half their income, and sometimes they're not eligible for life insurance. Can you neven imagine what it means to lose your spouse suddenly and also have to panic about feeding your family and paying your bills? I can understand choosing not to contribute, but this is heartless and cruel.

amother
Dimgray

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 9:20 pm
I know a family with 10 children whose father died after a long battle with a complicated cancer lo aleinu. He had a good life insurance policy. But 10 young children after a long period of time where neither parent was able to earn and savings were eaten up by medical expenses? They needed the money that was raised for them just to stay afloat and to deal with their horrific loss.

We shouldn’t know from such terrible tragedy.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 7:06 am
amother Brickred wrote:

I used an online estimator to see how much insurance I should get based on my family size and current income. It told me over $5 million. That much life insurance would have cost over $400 per month for me and DH when we were first married, and over $1000 a month if we got it today (both amounts which would not be sustainable on our income level).

So even if we had gotten a million dollar policy, we still wouldn't have enough. Even the fundraising campaigns are not enough.

The best advice is not to pass away.

amother
Daylily

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 8:13 am
This thread is heartless. If you don't want to donate, by all means DONT. You have no idea of pre- existing issued didn't allow for life insurance , such as in my father's case where he died young. No policy in place minimal funds for day to day house full of children.
A half million dollar policy for a family of children goes very fast of mother can't afford a mortgage or rent, food , tuition, weddings etc.
Not everyone is aware of areivim.
Areivim doesn't just hand over the funds. It goes into an account and is monitored by a vaad. Most is for weddings , not everyday use or to pay a mortgage or debt.
You have no idea the financial debt of a parent that died young due to Illness.
I know someone who lost a parent due to suicide- insurance refused to pay out.
Sometimes lots of therapy is needed for families grieving with sudden loss or prolonged illness.
All I can say is daven to never be on the receiving end.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 8:25 am
Areivim paid for my siblings weddings. They were amazing.

But everyday life was a struggle. With the life insurance money they had. Daily life is so expensive when you have kids.

Giving money for yesomin is one of the greatest tzedakahs. But please please don’t contribute. We will leave it for the people that care and want to give

amother
Sage

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 9:55 am
amother DarkCyan wrote:
Areivim paid for my siblings weddings. They were amazing.

But everyday life was a struggle. With the life insurance money they had. Daily life is so expensive when you have kids.

Giving money for yesomin is one of the greatest tzedakahs. But please please don’t contribute. We will leave it for the people that care and want to give

THIS TOTALLY

seriously OP
you're done with all the issues in the world and this is the last one?!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics