Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Jack and Jill bathroom - yes or no?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 12:47 pm
I am making plans for our second floor. I have six kids. 2 girls. I am considering putting in a Jack and Jill bathroom between their two bedrooms and have two questions.

1. The toliet and shower will be behind a second door so they can't walk in on each other and there will be a small foyer area where both the doors from their bedroom open up to. Should the sink go with the toliet and shower or the small foyer area. It is nice to have it with toliet and shower so they can immediately wash up after using bathroom and no germs go on door (I suppose I can keep a hand santizer there though) Or, the sink can be in the foyer area so one girl can be in the shower but the other one can still use the sink to brush her teeth wash up etc.

2. The second option is to not have a Jack and Jill at all but just have two kids bathrooms on the bedroom floor. I can make say one is girls and one is boys but everyone can technically access both. I would have one of the bathrooms have two doors, one from a bedroom and one from the hallway that way in the future if somoene with a new baby or whatever comes we have the option of giving them a private bathroom.

Do you have a Jack and Jill bathroom, do you love it, do you hate it, did you not make one and regret it?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 12:50 pm
I personally like the sound of option 2. Makes more sense for the future.

BH Yom Yom

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 12:58 pm
If you do option 1, maybe put in 2 sinks, one by the toilet and shower, and one in the foyer. That way they can each be washing up at the same time if needed. (Plus it solves the germ issue.)

Chayalle

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 12:59 pm
I like option 1 actually. My sister has something like that and I sometimes think I should convert the girls' bathroom and put a door in past the sink, before the toilet and shower. You should here the goings on here some mornings ("When are you coming out of the shower?" "MAAAA, she's taking so long, I'm gonna miss my bus and I can't brush my teeth!")

However if you can do two separate bathrooms that's even better.

mha3484

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 1:03 pm
My mother had a house with an L shaped bathroom. It had a sink toilet with a door then the shower in the middle and then a door and another sink/toilet. I dont know if this is called jack and jill but it let two people use the toilet and sink at the same time or someone could be showering while another person used bathroom. It was great for a small space. Also it let the guests use the half off the hallway and the other half was attached to her room and no one used it.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 1:04 pm
I would make it a second bath off the hallway. You never know when your boys NEED to use it. (Or even you need to use it)

tichellady

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 1:07 pm
2 bathrooms for 6 kids is better than one but I’m not sure what you will lose by having two bathrooms

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 1:12 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I like option 1 actually. My sister has something like that and I sometimes think I should convert the girls' bathroom and put a door in past the sink, before the toilet and shower. You should here the goings on here some mornings ("When are you coming out of the shower?" "MAAAA, she's taking so long, I'm gonna miss my bus and I can't brush my teeth!")

However if you can do two separate bathrooms that's even better.

This is what I have for my three girls and it is amazing, when they're all teens iy"H it will cut out a lot of bathroom-related tension! I have two sinks, one in the "foyer" area and one in the toilet/shower area. Win-win.

amother
Oleander

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 1:16 pm
Jack and jills can be great for girls to feel like they have their own bathroom, especially since they can take longer in there (hair, makeup, etc)

Definitely have a sink in the foyer area. If you can put an extra one in the bathroom part great, if not I think the most important is to have a seperate sink room/toilet shower room.

One girl can do her hair and makeup while the other is in the shower, otherwise youd just have one two girls fighting over a bathroom all day

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 7:17 pm
I grew up with a Jack and Jill bathroom and always hated it. Whoever is sleeping in that attached bedroom gets to hear a bit too much. And if you plan on putting up couples there in the future, it's a complete lack of privacy for them as you hear what's going on in bedroom...

amother
Trillium

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 7:23 pm
My friend has a J&J between two small girls rooms.
Each room opens onto a room with wide vanity, two sinks, huge mirror, lots of drawers, and then in that, is a room to toilet and shower/bath

GLUE

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 7:27 pm
mha3484 wrote:
My mother had a house with an L shaped bathroom. It had a sink toilet with a door then the shower in the middle and then a door and another sink/toilet. I dont know if this is called jack and jill but it let two people use the toilet and sink at the same time or someone could be showering while another person used bathroom. It was great for a small space. Also it let the guests use the half off the hallway and the other half was attached to her room and no one used it.

That sounds like a Japanese style bathroom

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 7:46 pm
I don't know if you can configure it so that the "foyer" area has a sink (two even better) a huge mirror and plenty of storage. I don't know how old your girls are now but there comes a time when they spend a lot of time in front of the mirror doing their hair and other beauty rituals and it's very nice when it doesn't prevent the other from being able to use the toilet or shower.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 7:49 pm
I hv one with a double sink by the 'foyer'.
I LOVE IT.

I hv 3 boys who share it.

The br closets are on either side of the bathroom wall so that must muffle the sounds because I've never heard it through.

Personally, I find that when kids friends are over, if you have bathrooms that open up into the hallway they would come upstairs and use it if the downstairs one is not available but if the bathrooms are actually in the bedroom, noone ever asks to use it.

mfb

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 7:53 pm
Just something to think of
I stayed by someone who has the first option with a sink out of the toilet/bath area.
The problem with their set up is that the doors to the sink area lock into that area so you can’t lock the bedroom.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 7:54 pm
mfb wrote:
I stayed by someone who has the first option with a sink out of the toilet/bath area.
The problem with their set up is that the doors to the sink area lock into that area so you can’t lock the bedroom.

The doors can lock any way you want them to. You just need to order the right locks.

mfb

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 8:48 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
The doors can lock any way you want them to. You just need to order the right locks.

I know that I was just pointing that out.

bp1234

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 9:10 pm
mfb wrote:

This always bothers me too!!

mommy2b1

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 9:51 pm
I would see if there’s a way to make the two girl rooms + bathroom a suite. The bathroom won’t be attached directly to either room.
The bathroom will be between both room but accessed from the hallway. You can section the two bedroom and bathroom off with a pocket door.
That way, the girls feel like they have their own space, the bathroom can be used by others in case of need and down the line, it’s a great private space for 2 couples or a couple with kids.
The jack n Jill is locking yourself into only letting those 2 bedrooms use it.

amother
Hunter

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 10:40 pm
Jack and Jill gives me so much anxiety. I use it when I am company at my sister's house and I'm always having to check to make sure the other door is locked and then unlock afterwards. It's the worst when I'm half asleep in the middle of the night.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics