Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Car pedal extenders

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 3:10 pm
Does anyone have experience with them? Are they safe?
Also, any helpful tips for a short driver (4'9")?

amother
Aster

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 3:19 pm
I'm a little taller than your dd. I've never heard of pedal extenders. I just have the seat quite close to the wheel. Certain cars are better than others. I like a higher driving position, where the car sits higher off the road as it's easier to see, also some cars have the pedals closer to the wheel than others, so it's easier to reach.

amother
Dustypink

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 3:35 pm
I'm your daughters height. Never used a pedal extender. I move the seat forward as much as necessary and also raise the height of the seat (most cars allow that). When I started driving I sat on a pillow/cushion in the driving instructor's car since the seat height was not adjustable, but still did not need a pedal extender.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 6:22 pm
Thanks for the replies. She has been driving for some time already. She moves the seat forward & raises it and uses a cushion, but still says her foot hovers in the air. Do yours?

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 8:55 pm
To get good current info about pedal extenders try reaching out to the organizations who service little people. Lots of little people (used to be called dwarves) use pedal extenders. They'd know where you can get them fitted locally. https://www.lpaonline.org/ for instance.

There are also paralyzed people of typical height who use hand controls and don't use their feet at all. So organizations who serve those in wheelchairs might also be of help.

amother
Dustypink

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 7:50 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for the replies. She has been driving for some time already. She moves the seat forward & raises it and uses a cushion, but still says her foot hovers in the air. Do yours?

I don’t have that issue (I'm her height). Is it possible that different cars have different distance to the pedal? Or maybe the dashboard is higher and therefore she needs a cushion which moves her further from the pedal? Has she tried with more than one car?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 12:02 pm
Even though the cushion moves her further, she likes it better with it. The only other car she tried was the driving school car and she found it easier to reach than in our car.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children