Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Reorganizing- Where do you keep these…
1  2  Next

GrowingUp

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 8:06 pm
I’m currently reorganizing some spaces in my home. Curious where and how people store the following:

Wrapping paper/cellophane
Reusable shopping bags
Full body pillow
Greeting/thank you cards
Out of season purses/bags
Shaimos

TIA!

amother
Ultramarine

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 8:18 pm
GrowingUp wrote:
I’m currently reorganizing some spaces in my home. Curious where and how people store the following:

Reusable shopping bags
Full body pillow
Greeting/thank you cards
Shaimos

TIA!

I only keep 1 roll of wrap paper at a time. Something generic can be used for all.
Reusable shopping bags get kept in the small space behind the pull out trash.
Don't have a full body pillow but if I did I'd either keep it on the bed and use it or get rid of it if I wasn't using it.
I don't store greeting cards but always have a small supply of generic note cards that can be used for anything in my desk drawer.
Out of season bags go in my closet on shelves.
Shaimos is immediently dropped of at shul by DH for rabbi to deal with.

happy chick

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 8:23 pm
GrowingUp wrote:

Wrapping paper/cellophane - on top of the china closet (behind the design so its not noticeable from the front)
Reusable shopping bags - in a narrow space in the kitchen between a wall and a big pantry
Full body pillow - on a top shelf in my closet
Greeting/thank you cards - in a small cabinet on top of my stove (near cookbooks)
Out of season purses/bags - on a top shelf in the coat closet
Shaimos - in a shopping bag on bottom of my coat closet and when it gets full, husband takes it to shul

TIA!

my home is not majorly organized - I wish it was. but this is how we roll.

mom!

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 8:44 pm
I’ll only comment on the ones applicable to me.

Reusable shopping bags: I have a command hook on the inside of pantry door and use a very large bag to hold the small ones.
Body Pillow:assuming you don’t use it often (only during pregnancy or the like) top shelf of my closet or the attic.
Shaimos: I have a bag on the top shelf of my guest room closet. We get rid of it pesach time usually.

amother
Melon

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 8:48 pm
Wrapping paper/cellophane--in a closet that also has Purim costumes and gift bags for MM
Reusable shopping bags--in a small set of plastic drawers that also contain garment bags of the kind men carry suits in.
Full body pillow--don't own one, but if I had one, it would be either on my bed or on the sofa.
Greeting/thank you cards--in my "home office", a cabinet containing stationery, checkbooks, tax records and similar items
Out of season purses/bags--don't own such a thing. The few evening bags I use on formal occasions are in a box on a shelf in my closet. My collection of tote bags is inside another tote bag on the floor of my closet.
Shaimos--in a plastic shopping bag on our coat rack.

GrowingUp

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 9:52 pm
Thanks all.

To clarify a few things, the thank you cards are custom cards with my kids names on them that I used to thank people for their baby gifts. As I’m typing that out I’m thinking I should probably get rid of them 😂 If they need to write a card they can use my generic ones, or make their own out of construction paper.

Reusable shopping bags I need handy as I live in NJ and use them weekly. I just have way more than I need. Like three of them stuffed with more bags.

Full body pillow I use during pregnancy. I initially had it in my closet on a top shelf, but it was taking up so much real estate. It’s now under my bed, but it’s getting quite dusty. Need to figure out a better place.

Out of season bags, I mean like evening bags, summer color purse, day camp bags, smaller knapsacks that kids outgrew (that I would like to hand down to my younger kids). Right now my kids each have some bags on top of their closets.

I guess the minhag with shaimos is the plastic bag. Which I currently have, but it’s been piling up. I don’t think I ever offloaded any shaimos since I got married. Do most Shuls collect shaimos?

zaq

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 8:18 am
Wait, you still have cards that say "Thank you for your beautiful gift on the occasion of Tzvika's birth"??? Get rid of them for goodness' sake! OTOH if they just have the kid's name and are blank, give them to the kid and let him/her use them to thank people for birthday gifts, sleepovers, Chanuka gelt and whatnot. For Bar Mitzvah gifts if they're that old.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 8:26 am
Wrapping paper/cellophane- I have a box in my laundry room
Reusable shopping bags - I have a hook on my basement door- I shove them all into 1 bag and hang that bag there. Easy to grab when I’m going shopping
Full body pillow- in use or not? We have one on our playroom couch, one on the floor of my kids room for when one of us ends up sleeping there, and my pregnancy one is either on my bag or bagged up in the attic or the back of my closet.
Greeting/thank you cards- in a box in the storage part of my husbands desk
Out of season purses/bags- in a box on the top of my closet
Shaimos - we have a box under my husbands desk for it

realtalk

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 8:39 am
Only going to comment on the reusable bags

If you have 3 bags full that mean you aren't reusing them so often. I keep a stuffed bag in my trunk so I remember to take them into the store and another stuffed bag on a hook in the kitchen for when I need to pack something for the kids or a day trip or something. Anything more than that gets used as garbage liners or just thrown out

SuperWify

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 8:41 am
GrowingUp wrote:

Reusable shopping bags
Full body pillow
Greeting/thank you cards
Shaimos

TIA!

Wrapping paper and cards together in kitchen with the crafts
Shopping bags in the car
Body pillow give away no room to store
Out of season bags in a bin in my coat closet
Shaimos I have a special container for it no great place though it’s on top of my fridge

amother
Hyssop

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 9:10 am
During seasons when you aren’t using the body pillow, store it in a vacuum seal garment bag. It’ll save space under your bed and protect it from dust.

dankbar

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 7:56 pm
Cards in drawer in my China closet

Gift wrap standing in hidden corner of my coat closet. It's next to a hanging thing that holds all Gift wrapping objects like ribbons, silk flowers, tags, mm stickers.

Shopping bags on a hook in a shopping bag inside laundry closet door or hanging on hanger in a big tote or reusable zippered/shopping bag holding other reusable bags and totes

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 8:01 pm
I vacuum pak my pregnancy pillow between babies. I live in a tiny space. I also only keep 5 reusable shopping bags at a time and the rest either in the trunk of car or throw out.

GrowingUp

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 8:09 pm
zaq wrote:
Wait, you still have cards that say "Thank you for your beautiful gift on the occasion of Tzvika's birth"??? Get rid of them for goodness' sake! OTOH if they just have the kid's name and are blank, give them to the kid and let him/her use them to thank people for birthday gifts, sleepovers, Chanuka gelt and whatnot. For Bar Mitzvah gifts if they're that old.

No no just the kids names. But most of them are childish designs. My son can’t write bar mitzva thank you cards on baby blue elephant cards. I will get rid of them or rehome them.

Now my question is if I keep the envelopes they came with. Plain card size envelopes.

GrowingUp

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 8:11 pm
realtalk wrote:
Only going to comment on the reusable bags

If you have 3 bags full that mean you aren't reusing them so often. I keep a stuffed bag in my trunk so I remember to take them into the store and another stuffed bag on a hook in the kitchen for when I need to pack something for the kids or a day trip or something. Anything more than that gets used as garbage liners or just thrown out

This is true. I have too many.

I like the idea of keeping them in the car. (The reason I have so many, is because often I forget to bring any with me and have to buy more.)

Thanks

GrowingUp

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 8:12 pm
amother Hyssop wrote:
During seasons when you aren’t using the body pillow, store it in a vacuum seal garment bag. It’ll save space under your bed and protect it from dust.

Love this idea. Thanks

zaq

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 8:43 pm
GrowingUp wrote:
No no just the kids names. But most of them are childish designs. My son can’t write bar mitzva thank you cards on baby blue elephant cards. I will get rid of them or rehome them.

Now my question is if I keep the envelopes they came with. Plain card size envelopes.

Yes if you have use for them like sending notes to kids' teachers, or if you would cut out paper to make your own greeting cards or TY notes. I drop off in- person donations to local tzedakas like my shul and the day school, so I would use those envelopes for the checks.

If I had no other use for such envelopes, I'd open them up and write my grocery lists on them. If they are too small for that, and you have no use for them, ask your kids' teachers if they can use them. If the answer is no, put them in recycling.

amother
Opal

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 10:43 pm
I'm also in NJ, I keep a box with folded reusable bags in my trunk for when I go to the store. But if you find that you always buy new ones at the grocery (most have available except for bingo) then you. Ay only want to hold on to a few. I do have some in the kitchen that we use when we need one to carry things out of the house or sometimes for small trash cans but most are in the car

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 12:47 am
GrowingUp wrote:

I always send in my questionable bedikas in an envelope, just an idea Very Happy

happy7

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 12:56 am
Shaimos is an expense. Most shuls have to pay to bury shaimos. You can’t just drop off shaimos at a shul. We pay $30 a box for shaimos burial.
We get a box and fill it up and then pay $30 to have it taken care of.
We are out of town, so where we send it won’t help anyone. But Shuls are not the right place for you to drop your shaimos.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics