Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Bais Yakov of Pomona
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 10:58 pm
How to get in there?

I heard it's more modern.
Whats the difference of this school and a bais yaakov other schools.

amother
Zinnia

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 4:39 am
More modern than what?

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 4:43 am
Pomona turned out more of the wanna be's and modern chassidim/ex than a nice mix of a population. The school accomodates that clientel.
More modern than the local BY. dogs, TV homes etc.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 6:06 am
amother Vermilion wrote:
Pomona turned out more of the wanna be's and modern chassidim/ex than a nice mix of a population. The school accomodates that clientel.

There has got to be a nicer way of expressing yourself- come on

amother
Darkblue

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 6:10 am
amother Taupe wrote:
There has got to be a nicer way of expressing yourself- come on

We’re all anonymous here, she isn’t attacking any individual person in particular, she’s just being honest and open about the clientele, which is what the OP is looking for. It’s hard to get accurate information about so many things because people are so scared about being honest. This is obviously l’toeles. I think it’s great.No sense beating around the bush.

But for the record I know some very very nice stable great middle of the road frum families (JPF) who send to BY Pomona and are super happy there.

amother
Dustypink

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 6:14 am
amother Vermilion wrote:

I don’t think the school itself is a reflection of Pomona. People from all areas send there and the school didn’t even start in Pomona

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 6:17 am
amother Darkblue wrote:
We’re all anonymous here, she isn’t attacking any individual person in particular, she’s just being honest and open about the clientele, which is what the OP is looking for. It’s hard to get accurate information about so many things because people are so scared about being honest. This is obviously l’toeles. I think it’s great.No sense beating around the bush.

But for the record I know some very very nice stable great middle of the road frum families (JPF) who send to BY Pomona and are super happy there.

Thank you. I appreciate honesty. That's what I want.
Do they accept easy? Who r the ppl in charge?

amother
Dustypink

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 6:27 am
amother OP wrote:

Are you looking for a school that the parent body was originally heimish/Chasidish? The reason I ask , is Because Bnos Leah Prospect Park is similar (most kids from BY of Pomona started in Bnos Leah until this school was established) . So the two schools are very similar.

I think the difference is that you don’t really have lots of Chasidish/ heimish parent body anymore in Bnos Leah,(since they went to BY of Pomona , though a few families stayed in Bnos Leah) my DH wears a shtreimel and we send to Bnos Leah and I’m very happy with the school. I do dress differently than most mothers ,ex. I wear stockings and most (not all) mothers dont, and we are makpid with Cholov Yisroel where most aren’t etc. Little things like that . But I feel very much accepted there and love the fact that it’s a small and very warm school and I like everything else about the school.

YSV would probably be the other school that’s most similar to these two.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 6:41 am
amother Dustypink wrote:
Are you looking for a school that the parent body was originally heimish/Chasidish? The reason I ask , is Because Bnos Leah Prospect Park is similar (most kids from BY of Pomona started in Bnos Leah until this school was established) . So the two schools are very similar.

I think the difference is that you don’t really have lots of Chasidish/ heimish parent body anymore in Bnos Leah,(since they went to BY of Pomona , though a few families stayed in Bnos Leah) my DH wears a shtreimel and we send to Bnos Leah and I’m very happy with the school. I do dress differently than most mothers ,ex. I wear stockings and most (not all) mothers dont, and we are makpid with Cholov Yisroel where most aren’t etc. Little things like that . But I feel very much accepted there and love the fact that it’s a small and very warm school and I like everything else about the school.

YSV would probably be the other school that’s most similar to these two.

Isn't Bnos Leah more RW than Bais Yaakov Pomona? And more selective regarding which chassidish/shtreimel families they accept.

amother
Zinnia

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 6:43 am
BY of Pomona is not part of the Pomona community. Does Yeshiva of Spring Valley service the Hispanic community?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 6:51 am
[quote="amother Cadetblue"]Isn't Bnos Leah more RW than Bais Yaakov Pomona? And more selective regarding which chassidish/shtreimel families they accept.[/quo

What qualifications do chassidish families need to get in.

amother
Dustypink

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 6:53 am
amother Cadetblue wrote:
Isn't Bnos Leah more RW than Bais Yaakov Pomona? And more selective regarding which chassidish/shtreimel families they accept.

I can’t imagine it being more RW than BY of Pomona , the parents, teachers and principal are more or less the same people that were in Prospect .
I don’t know about them being selective in terms of Chasidish families. They are probably not looking for people who want to go left . But they had no issue accepting us two years ago. They are able to figure out how genuine someone is. They are very serious about yiddishkeit and ehrlichkeit . But again , I think the Chasidish parents they accept are people who didn’t go to extremes, are not looking to be cool, just want to be JPF.

amother
Poppy

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 6:57 am
Sounds lovely like some of the regular frum schools in London.

amother
Dustypink

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 6:58 am
[quote="amother OP"]
amother Cadetblue wrote:
Isn't Bnos Leah more RW than Bais Yaakov Pomona? And more selective regarding which chassidish/shtreimel families they accept.[/quo

They didn’t give us qualifications . When we are interviewed it was still when Mrs. Rube was the principal. (She’s the current principal of BYOP now). We were accepted right away.

Rabbi Kelman has since told my DH they are looking for more parents like us to join the school. We are open minded Chasidish but have always been that way. So it’s not like we changed our lifestyle. I went to a BY school myself. We are more heimish/JPF and don’t belong to any chasiddus. DH wears a Chasidish levush on Shabbos. Most of my boys did not attend Chasidish mesivtas.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 7:00 am
amother Dustypink wrote:
I can’t imagine it being more RW than BY of Pomona , the parents, teachers and principal are more or less the same people that were in Prospect .
I don’t know about them being selective in terms of Chasidish families. They are probably not looking for people who want to go left . But they had no issue accepting us two years ago. They are able to figure out how genuine someone is. They are very serious about yiddishkeit and ehrlichkeit . But again , I think the Chasidish parents they accept are people who didn’t go to extremes, are not looking to be cool, just want to be JPF.

What means Jpf?

Also what's this right wing thing?

amother
Tanzanite

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 7:00 am
amother OP wrote:

They accept pretty easy and that’s why people end up there they are not interested in begging

amother
Tanzanite

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 7:01 am
amother Dustypink wrote:

The money donors run the school the principal is just a principal she doesn’t choose who gets accepted.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 7:02 am
[quote="amother OP"]
amother Cadetblue wrote:
Isn't Bnos Leah more RW than Bais Yaakov Pomona? And more selective regarding which chassidish/shtreimel families they accept.[/quo

They're not looking for ex/modern chassidish families that just want to do what they want.
They'd rather take a settled erlich serious family that happens to be chassidish but don't fit perfectly in to the chassidish mold. There are many such sincere chassidish families in Monsey. Erlich families. They do their research well.

amother
Dustypink

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 7:04 am
amother OP wrote:
What means Jpf?

Also what's this right wing thing?

Just Plain Frum , meaning. No specific affiliation
but serious about being frum and serious about yiddishkeit

The more Right Wing , usually means more stringencies, rules , hate to use this word but what people consider more “frum” .

BY of Pomona does have more “cool” chasidim . We are not cool. Majority of the kids in my daughters class do live in Pomona and they go to Bnos Leah.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 7:05 am
amother Cadetblue wrote:
They're not looking for ex/modern chassidish families that just want to do what they want.
They'd rather take a settled erlich serious family that happens to be chassidish but don't fit perfectly in to the chassidish mold. There are many such sincere chassidish families in Monsey. Erlich families. They do their research well.

They have mostly ex chassidish families there. Doesn’t mean they are not ehrlich but like previous poster said the wannabes people need to stop misguiding people in schools I’m hearing way to much how people sent to a school and they were fooled and it was now to late
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics