Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
S/O Ikea and Moving: would you leave it all and buy new?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 9:47 am
Is starting over appealing to anyone else? I think every time we move so much gets broken it's not worth the cost of the movers... is Ikea good enough quality to buy everything instead? many of the things they sell seem good priced.

Please share your Ikea finds?

singleagain

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 9:48 am
If it's still in good condition at the very least, sell your stuff so that way you know to someone local so that way you get back some money

Amarante

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 9:56 am
Why are things being broken? When I moved the movers were very conscientious and wrapped everything so nothing was broken or damaged.

As to whether it pays to leave behind, really that depends on the value and condition of what you have. Good furniture is expensive so most people wouldn't leave it behind. You would determine the cost of moving by REPUTABLE companies versus the value of the furniture and how much it would cost to replace with equivalent.

The quality of IKEA furniture varies. Some of their stuff is junk and some of their stuff is good quality for the price.

Their kitchen cabinets are very high quality.

Some of their sofas are okay quality for the price point as they are better than an Ashley sofa but they aren't as good as a high quality sofa. Of course not every expensive sofa is good quality but in general if you pay more and read reviews and understand sofa construction, you will get a more comfortable longer lasting sofa if you pay more.

amother
Feverfew

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 9:57 am
I can't see myself doing this. We moved a few times and nothing was broken, besides a few dishes that I was too lazy to pack properly.

amother
Mulberry

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 10:03 am
I wouldn't be able to afford to replace everything, especially with all the other costs around moving. Are you moving everything yourself, because professional movers shouldn't be damaging your things. There were some things we gave away as we didn't need, but everything in good shape and needed, we kept.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 10:04 am
Our ikea furniture is 13 years old & went through 2 moves & they're still perfectly intact. I cannot understand why people need to buy all new furniture when they move.

amother
Daffodil

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 10:23 am
Seems like you want to start fresh & looking for a good reason to toss the old. No need to get anyone's approval for that. Try to remove the items.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating