Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Camp for a shy child

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 6:50 pm
Ds has great friends in school. He ended up in a daycamp with a neighbor who he has since fallen out with , 4 years ago. He went back to the camp with 3 classmates every year since. This year the 3 classmates may not be going back and ds has no other good friends going. He’s somewhat shy, not very athletic but likes to play, cute, funny, clever, smart. I’m not sure what to do. He says he wants to go back anyway. It’s a fun camp but I’m worried about him…
He has younger brothers also going and wouldn’t want to miss out on this camp and all the fun stuff they do

amother
Snow

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 6:52 pm
I'd convince him to go somewhere his classmates are going

amother
Heather

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 6:57 pm
How old is your son?

It sounds like you are socially anxious for him, he doesn't sound concerned.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 7:03 pm
amother Heather wrote:
How old is your son?

It sounds like you are socially anxious for him, he doesn't sound concerned.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 7:04 pm
amother Snow wrote:
Is convince him to go somewhere his classmates are going

He may be very upset because his brothers are going to this camp. I will ask him what he wants to do

amother
Heather

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 7:12 pm
amother OP wrote:

He's been there for a few years. Can you talk to the directors ahead of time?

There is something to be said for giving him a chance to grow, and if this is something he wants I don't think you should interfere. (Except for requesting that he be kept away from the boy he had issues with in the past)

Ten isn't so little.

Are you getting him any help for social skills?

amother
Snapdragon

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 7:22 pm
I have a very socially anxious kid and he doesn’t mind going to new camps! Boggles my mind but I let him make the decisions and I’ve been pleasantly surprised!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 7:23 pm
amother Snapdragon wrote:
I have a very socially anxious kid and he doesn’t mind going to new camps! Boggles my mind but I let him make the decisions and I’ve been pleasantly surprised!

You’re making me feel better. I asked him and he said he wants to go back to that same camp.

I’ll daven really hard…

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 7:25 pm
amother Heather wrote:
He's been there for a few years. Can you talk to the directors ahead of time?

There is something to be said for giving him a chance to grow, and if this is something he wants I don't think you should interfere. (Except for requesting that he be kept away from the boy he had issues with in the past)

Ten isn't so little.

Are you getting him any help for social skills?

Yes I can reach out to the camp, that’s a good idea. What exactly should I say/request?

I took him to a social skills therapy group two years ago and the therapist said he’s doing great and she doesn’t see a single issue. He’s just shy. Like me 🙈
In school he has 4-5 great friends and he’s well liked by all the others and likes them as well.
At home he spends most of his time inside or playing with his younger brothers and their friends.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 7:27 pm
I changed the title from socially anxious to shy

For example this year he went to a sports league not knowing a single boy beforehand. I see he’s smiling around with the boys now. It’s only once a week so he’s not really friends with any of them but he goes back willingly each week

amother
Heather

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 7:37 pm
Just to have his counselor keep an eye out for him.

If you're shy (me too!) you don't even necessarily want to be friends with everyone.

I think he'll be fine. (But I do understand your worry)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children