Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How to cut screen time

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 11:55 am
My kids have limited screen time- Fridays and Sundays only for the most part. I have the hardest time with my almost 4 year old. She’s hard to entertain and ends up watching for hours on Sundays and then throws tantrums when I take it away. I should really bite the bullet and eliminate the tablets altogether but that’s pretty unrealistic. I work very full time and need some time on Sundays to get things done. Need help with ideas for entertainment and ways to limit screens without major meltdowns if possible.

amother
Canary

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 12:01 pm
At that age I told my daughter if she loses it when I take it away then she can’t have it the next week. Yes it punishes me too but she learned from that.

amother
Stonewash

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 12:04 pm
Start by setting a screen timer so it turns off automatically and you're not the bad guy.

my mama

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 12:08 pm
Do audio stories on either Spotify or one of the Jewish apps. It cuts down on the actual screen time while still keeping them occupied.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 12:33 pm
Do you have a TV? I rarely let my kids watch things on tablets since there's something about them that's more addictive and harder to take it away. We do tv and beforehand we talk about how they're only watching 1 show and then we'll do x. We're clear about a stopping point before we start and if they give us a hard time they might not get to watch stuff again.

Highstrung

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 12:37 pm
amother Canary wrote:
At that age I told my daughter if she loses it when I take it away then she can’t have it the next week. Yes it punishes me too but she learned from that.

That’s what I did . I noticed a pattern . The longer the screen time the bigger the tantrum afterward .
I told her how unhealthy it is and used the tantruming as an example . I showed her how intense her reaction becomes after she watches too much . So we start off with strict rules and when I say it’s done , there are no more “just one more “, or “just until it finishes”, done means done and she needs to shut the power off. If she doesn’t , she doesn’t get to watch at all the following week. And keep your word. When you are consistent with keeping your word they know you mean business.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 12:44 pm
Any ideas for home entertainment on these long cold Sundays

giftedmom

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 12:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
My kids have limited screen time- Fridays and Sundays only for the most part. I have the hardest time with my almost 4 year old. She’s hard to entertain and ends up watching for hours on Sundays and then throws tantrums when I take it away. I should really bite the bullet and eliminate the tablets altogether but that’s pretty unrealistic. I work very full time and need some time on Sundays to get things done. Need help with ideas for entertainment and ways to limit screens without major meltdowns if possible.

At that age, if you can’t be available for her then your options are limited.

Highstrung

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 12:47 pm
Painting

, making play dough and then using play dough toys to play with it.

Reading books

Baking and decorating (cookies , cupcakes etc)

Arts and crafts - making puppets out of paper bags and arts and crafts supplies

Play dates

giftedmom

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 12:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
Any ideas for home entertainment on these long cold Sundays

Baking, crafts, toys, going out for errands…

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 1:29 pm
A set time everyday and a timer and no exceptions.

amother
Dimgray

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 1:33 pm
We have the Kidslox filter.

I set the timer and it shuts off automatically. It works the best for addicted children.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics