Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Endocrinologist for osteoporosis, New York

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 2:24 pm
Looking for a good endocrinologist who specializes in bone health/osteoporosis (who takes Medicaid).
Need someone who is willing to consider not prescribing standard meds. I know that’s hard to find, but I’m told there are some out there…

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 3:05 pm
Would you mind explaining why you are not comfortable taking regular meds ?

I took forteo and bh bear no side effects whatsoever and way better now.
The other option my doctor prescribed on the side was weight bearing exercises

oneofakind

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 4:15 pm
Looking same in NJ Amerihealth. Heard many negatives about medication in addition to the fact that it doesn't build good bones anyway. If I'm wrong, please educate me.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 12:28 pm
There is a lot of information out there about the negative effects of osteoporosis medications. Of course there are people that benefit from them and don’t suffer side effects. That being said, in the long term you don’t know the harm they might be doing.
With all medications, there will always be many arguments for and against. It’s a personal decision to educate myself as much as possible. I still have much to learn, but for right now I very much want to avoid medications. BUT I also need to be far more proactive in other ways of helping treat it than I have been. Correct diet (I don’t mean for weight loss), weight bearing exercises, specific physical therapy, etc.

There are many helpful videos on YouTube if you want to educate yourself more. Some to start with:
- Sarah Meeks
- Optimal Bone Health with Dr. Doug Lucas

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 12:39 pm
Just to add, regarding Forteo, Dr Doug Lucas (who I mentioned above) does state that (although he seems to be not a fan of most of the osteoporosis meds) Forteo is one of the ones he prefers, although he prescribes rarely. I have not watched all his videos though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries