Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Mesivtas- rabbi Weinberger, witty, cohen, greenfield, brus

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 5:02 am
Can anyone compare and contrast? I was thrown these names, some of which I’ve heard bits and pieces of info about and some of which I didn’t. I think it was told to me in this order, what the rebbi thinks is best for my son, but not sure.
Rabbi Weinberger’s yeshiva
Rabbi Witty’s yeshiva
Rabbi Daniel Cohens yeshiva
Rabbi greenfields yeshiva
Rabbi brus yeshiva

My son is bh very smart and great with his learning. We are more yeshivish than not, though my son doesn’t want a yeshiva that’s labeled the most yeshivish in Lakewood. Thanks

amother
Arcticblue

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 7:54 am
Completely new to the mesivta scene. I only recognize two of those names but here goes:
Rabbi weinberger is supposed to be top top. Very high learning level and very good English as well. Nearly impossible to get into. 500 boys apply every year and 28 get accepted. I don't know your son, maybe he is really top and would get in, but keep in mind it's supposed to be difficult.

Rabbi brus I heard is also high level. Still difficult to get into but easier than weinberger. He's supposed to be a great motivator and really builds up the boys, very solid yeshiva.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 1:30 pm
Tysm! Anyone else has other info?
Is it true that Weinberger’s boys pride themselves in being in an unyeshivish yeshiva? I don’t need a particularly yeshivish yeshiva, but I don’t want one that prides themselves in being not yeshivish

NechaMom

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 1:32 pm
I’d choose Witty for sure. Sounds like he’d give great speeches!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 1:37 pm
NechaMom wrote:

lol!! Took me a minute 🫣

amother
Lightpink

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 2:27 pm
NechaMom wrote:

lol he is my relative. Really funny to read this on imamother!

amother
Celeste

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 2:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
Tysm! Anyone else has other info?
Is it true that Weinberger’s boys pride themselves in being in an unyeshivish yeshiva? I don’t need a particularly yeshivish yeshiva, but I don’t want one that prides themselves in being not yeshivish

They’re very good boys. They don’t pride themselves on anything. I know what you’re talking about but it’s not that type of place with attitude and snobbishness. The rabbayim don’t encourage the idea that young people should act as if they’re part of some sort of elite club. Check it out if you think it’s a good place for your son.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:28 pm
Ty. Does anyone else have any info on rabbi witty, cohen, geeenfield, brus, or anything else on Weinberger’s? Tysm!

amother
NeonOrange

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:30 pm
My son is in Witty's. It's a top top school with top notch boys. I find the boys well rounded, healthy and love school. It is very hard to get into though so definitely apply to some place else.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:41 pm
amother NeonOrange wrote:
My son is in Witty's. It's a top top school with top notch boys. I find the boys well rounded, healthy and love school. It is very hard to get into though so definitely apply to some place else.

Tysm. What is the basic parent body?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 5:51 pm
Bump. Now that we’re really ready to apply, looking into any other info in these yeshivas. I heard about one of these that it’s not the right level for my son, he’ll just cruise along without pushing himself, meaning it may be too easy level of learning. Anyone know if these yeshivas are all pretty much the same level? And the same parent body? I think rabbi greenfields is probably the most yeshivish of these all, am I right? And are the rest similar?
Tysm!

amother
Oleander

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 6:17 pm
All great top mesivtas. Rabbi witty and rabbi weinberger are more balabatish crowd. Rabbi Cohen and greenfield a little more yeshivish clientele from what I know. I could be wrong but I think r brus is a drop lower level learning than the other 4 but still very good higg level mesivta.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 6:38 pm
amother Oleander wrote:
All great top mesivtas. Rabbi witty and rabbi weinberger are more balabatish crowd. Rabbi Cohen and greenfield a little more yeshivish clientele from what I know. I could be wrong but I think r brus is a drop lower level learning than the other 4 but still very good higg level mesivta.

Thanks! Very helpful!!
I love what I’m hearing about rabbi Cohens yeshiva, but my son doesn’t want it because he heard they don’t have one earlier night a week, they have every motzai Shabbos, and they don’t have any off Shabbos like other yeshivas do. He’s so against it that my husband feels like it’s not even worth applying. My husband said he heard this too, from one source. Can anyone confirm?

amother
Leaf

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 6:57 pm
Weinbergers- very put together boys. More balebatishe homes. Into styles, with it , smart, many have read Harry Potter for example but are good learners, self motivated, smart. Higher end cars in parking lot by PTA. Boys have hasagos. The rabeim work hard to drive the “balebatishkeit” out of the boys. It is generally a healthy place with good middos with usual grade rivalries. English is still Lakewood English but the boys are smart. Just don’t have high expectations.

If your son is yeshivish but very on socially he may do well there.

By the time the boys get to beis medrash most are very into learning. They go mostly to Pragers for Eretz Yisrael and do have a good name.

Rabbi Witty- more balebatish parent body but less fancy and high end than Weinbergers. Most fathers value learning. Very warm small feel to the place Witty’s and Brus have smart solid boys but too boys willaim for Weinbergers and Cohens. A very smart boy can do very well by Brus. He will be in the upper half of the shiur while by Cohen’s and Weinbergers he may be just another name.

Rabbi Brus is a master motivator. A boy who is smart but doesn’t spend much time learning out of school will gradually begin to learn shabbos, bein hazmanim etc. without overt pressure from Rabbi Brus. He focuses heavily on middos between the boys and spends 9th grade on tools and foundations in learning rather than throwing “Reid” at the boys. Yet smart boys will not be bored in his shiur. He takes boys from different levels and Yeshivos but all are generally smart.

Cohen’s is more in the box yeshivish and his expectations align with that. More pressure for shachris etc. generally top boys and more yeshivish.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 6:59 pm
amother Leaf wrote:
Weinbergers- very put together boys. More balebatishe homes. Into styles, with it , smart, many have read Harry Potter for example but are good learners, self motivated, smart. Higher end cars in parking lot by PTA. Boys have hasagos. The rabeinu to work hard to drive the “balebatishkeit” out of the boys. It is generally a healthy place with good middos with usual grade rivalries. English is still Lakewood English but the boys are smart. Just don’t have high expectations.

By the time the boys get to beis medrash most are very into learning. They go mostly to Pragers for Eretz Yisrael and do have a good name.

Ty!

amother
NeonYellow

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 6:59 pm
amother Leaf wrote:
Weinbergers- very put together boys. More balebatishe homes. Into styles, with it , smart, many have read Harry Potter for example but are good learners, self motivated, smart. Higher end cars in parking lot by PTA. Boys have hasagos. The rabeinu to work hard to drive the “balebatishkeit” out of the boys. It is generally a healthy place with good middos with usual grade rivalries. English is still Lakewood English but the boys are smart. Just don’t have high expectations.

By the time they get to BM they are into learning??

But not in Mesivta because they are only into clothes? Because that's what it sounds like you're saying.

amother
Leaf

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 7:10 pm
amother NeonYellow wrote:
By the time they get to BM they are into learning??

But not in Mesivta because they are only into clothes? Because that's what it sounds like you're saying.

No. What I meant to say is that they outgrow most of the focus on cars, clothes, talk about schrons …. Etc. by beis medrash. Boys learn well in mesivta they are just more into some of the former as well. Winter break will often include a class ski trip for example. They have hasagos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries