Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Entering homes under construction (Monsey View)
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 7:16 pm
amother Carnation wrote:
I recently called a designer in for advice and told her I want to show her a previously done wing of the house. Her response "I've seen it before you were in" I was flabbergasted and didn't give ehr more work.
That was the cheapest , indecent thing someone could have done.
I'd definitely had called the cops had I know people were trespassing during construction, and professionals at that!

Omg! A designer?! If she’s in the field then she should for sure know better. It’s such a painful topic for homeowners.

Shame on her

amother
Brass

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 7:23 pm
Why don't people put up a lock??

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 7:47 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
It’s bad manners and a violation.
But you’re overreacting op.

Overreacting how?
I'm just astounded that people think it's not that big of a deal.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 7:48 pm
amother Brass wrote:
Why don't people put up a lock??

There isn't always a door on the house at that point, or just a temporary front door & people find a side entrance to enter from.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 8:06 pm
In Lakewood this is a regular thing that ppl. do. The houses that the developers build have locks but its the same combination on all the houses. And its a ez combination all the workers shld rem it. So its ez to figure it out.. I heard back from so many ppl that they went into our house. And, theyre not even emb to admit that they went in. Its what they do Shabbos afternoons. I have cameras I actually saw 2 people that checked out our house.

amother
Maple

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 8:38 am
-d

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 8:47 am
Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised

peace2

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 9:03 am
I don't think you're overreacting. It is really off to do that.
In high school I was walking with a friend in her very wealthy neighborhood and she pointed at one house and said she explored it on a shabbos while it was being built (it was a mega mansion) but she knew it was not okay to do. I can't believe adults would do this and not think it's such a big deal
Also it could be really dangerous - things that look stable that are actually not, stairs that aren't meant to be climbed yet... you could seriously get injured

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 9:08 am
The issue here is that grown adults don’t think this is wrong and there is no convincing them.

I know so many of these humans!

We were so fed up with everyone marching in that we told everyone that we have a massive surveillance system installed. That keeps our acquaintances and extended family away. For the rest of the crazy population we installed that shrieking alarm.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 9:53 am
amother Burlywood wrote:
In Lakewood this is a regular thing that ppl. do. The houses that the developers build have locks but its the same combination on all the houses. And its a ez combination all the workers shld rem it. So its ez to figure it out.. I heard back from so many ppl that they went into our house. And, theyre not even emb to admit that they went in. Its what they do Shabbos afternoons. I have cameras I actually saw 2 people that checked out our house.

Surprised Surprised Puke
Lakewood ihr hakodesh..... embarrassing

watergirl

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 9:58 am
amother OP wrote:
Surprised Surprised Puke

Considering how many machechtas focus on property, it’s even more shocking.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 10:03 am
amother OP wrote:
Surprised Surprised Puke

I don’t think it’s fair to name places and judge like that.

I’ve seen it happen in Brooklyn and Monsey too. It happens everywhere.

It’s not just a Lakewood culture. I don’t live in Lakewood and I’ve seen it way too often

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 10:12 am
amother Slategray wrote:
I don’t think it’s fair to name places and judge like that.

I’ve seen it happen in Brooklyn and Monsey too. It happens everywhere.

It’s not just a Lakewood culture. I don’t live in Lakewood and I’ve seen it way too often

I didn't say that it doesn't happen elsewhere. This was a response to the post that said that it's a regular thing in Lakewood, which I'm really shocked to hear as Lakewood is supposed to be ihr hatorah/ihr hakodesh, & trespassing is definitely not a torah value or a kodesh thing to do.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 10:13 am
Wow this is so weird it would never occur to me to enter somebody’s house!!! My house is under construction now and the reality is anybody could enter. There are over a dozen ppl there at any time, and different workers constantly coming and going. The door is mainly left unlocked all day. There’s no bell, and with so many workers needing access it would be impossible to be letting them in all day. If somebody confidently walked in , even if somebody noticed it (likely they wouldn’t if they are working upstairs or whatever) they would assume it’s somebody who works in the house, there to measure something or what ever . I have decorators, ppl coming to measure for window treatments, kitchen ppl etc— they don’t all know each other and no reason for them to think somebody walking around doesn’t belong unless he hired a full time security guard to stand by the door. Sometimes my mother or sister will pop in to see too. Nobodys job here is to police that. But I can’t believe ppl would have that level of nerve.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 10:32 am
Amarante wrote:
I'm not condoning the practice - merely stating that it is up to the Construction Crew or GC to bar people from entering

No, people need to learn to self-regulate as well. It's up to parents to raise their children with a sense of respect and restraint. It's literally trespassing onto someone else's property. Even if nobody has purchased the home yet, it is still owned by someone and is private property.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 10:33 am
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
Wow this is so weird it would never occur to me to enter somebody’s house!!! My house is under construction now and the reality is anybody could enter. There are over a dozen ppl there at any time, and different workers constantly coming and going. The door is mainly left unlocked all day. There’s no bell, and with so many workers needing access it would be impossible to be letting them in all day. If somebody confidently walked in , even if somebody noticed it (likely they wouldn’t if they are working upstairs or whatever) they would assume it’s somebody who works in the house, there to measure something or what ever . I have decorators, ppl coming to measure for window treatments, kitchen ppl etc— they don’t all know each other and no reason for them to think somebody walking around doesn’t belong unless he hired a full time security guard to stand by the door. Sometimes my mother or sister will pop in to see too. Nobodys job here is to police that. But I can’t believe ppl would have that level of nerve.

I think people mostly go in on shabbos when no one is around. Maybe install cameras so you can see if someone goes in.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 10:36 am
amother Goldenrod wrote:
I gre up doing it -

Whether it was a multi million dollar mansion - new build or just a run of the mill expensive home.

As an adult?
Nope I haven't done it.

The adults I was raised with definitely still do it.
I grew up doing it also, it was considered normal, of course only when the house was bare bones with no front door on it, only the framing was done, never when it had a front door or when walls were up. We just wanted to see the layout. In Monsey, it was a very normal thing to do, regular, socially acceptable. Hard to believe when it sounds like only socially off people would do.
Thank you for bringing out the other aspect to it now.

Rappel

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 10:40 am
I'm gobsmacked

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 10:44 am
amother OP wrote:
I think people mostly go in on shabbos when no one is around. Maybe install cameras so you can see if someone goes in.

As soon as an exterior door is installed, you can put a combination lock on it.

amother
Almond

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 10:47 am
amother Mulberry wrote:
My dh has done it too for the same reason. I wouldn’t because I’m more the cautious type, which dh teases me about. After reading this thread, should I be mortified on his behalf? Divorce him 😙? No he would never listen to me if I told him not to do it.

No but definitely go on birth control ASAP 😁
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette