Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Entering homes under construction (Monsey View)
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 5:51 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
Doesn't really feel that way when it's just rows of frames owned by some big developer
Vs neighbor down the block building a custom home

It doesn't matter how you feel, it's trespassing nevertheless & not yours to enter.

amother
Yolk

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 5:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
It doesn't matter how you feel, it's trespassing nevertheless & not yours to enter.

I got it. You made your point

amother
Chestnut

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 5:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
Last week, someone wrote in a letter to the Monsey view that she see's strangers & passersby entering homes under construction to see the house, and how wrong that is and it's not allowed.
This week, someone wrote back a letter saying that yes, she goes in to homes under construction because IT'S THE ONLY CHANCE SHE GETS TO SEE THE HOUSE because once the new neighbors move in, she won't get to see the house anymore!!!
I'm so dumbfounded and flabbergasted over this, and hoping that it's a joke. I'm speechless!
Do people really do this????

I’m speechless too.
The low level people would stoop to just to satisfy their curiosity!
Why would they even print this?!?

A neighbour of mine did this in my new construction house and wasn’t even ashamed to tell me about it after I moved in. Rolling Eyes

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 6:09 pm
amother Chestnut wrote:
I’m speechless too.
The low level people would stoop to just to satisfy their curiosity!
Why would they even print this?!?

A neighbour of mine did this in my new construction house and wasn’t even ashamed to tell me about it after I moved in. Rolling Eyes

I'm literally scratching my head at this weeks letter. She says the she see's workers taking in tiles & windows & she wants to see the house & she knows that once the owners move in, they won't let everyone in to see the house, so she has to see the house before they move in. She also says that owners not letting in, causes jealousy & competition.....
I seriously cannot wrap my brain around this!

happy7

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 6:11 pm
People do it all the time. They don’t even realize that it is wrong.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 6:12 pm
happy7 wrote:

Good old fashioned yenta's...
We need to realize that if it would be a non jews property, they'd most likely call the police.

amother
Yolk

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 6:13 pm
happy7 wrote:

Like I didn't realize it was so wrong. I'm sure tons of others did it as well
But this letter sounds crazy entitled

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 6:16 pm
I do this and still would.
To me it’s not a yenta thing it’s just cool to see a house being built- the frame work and to imagine what rooms they’re making based
On what’s up and then building of a house
I don’t think people are doing it to be yentas..

amother
Firethorn

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 6:53 pm
amother Gray wrote:
To me it’s not a yenta thing it’s just cool to see a house being built- the frame work and to imagine what rooms they’re making based

If you're walking into someone else's property and checking it out - even if its cool to see - what else would you call it?

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 6:55 pm
amother Gray wrote:

They are and it's also entering someone's private property! If someone's front door is unlocked would you go inside just because you're curious? Go inside someone's car because it looks nice?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 6:56 pm
amother Gray wrote:

Of course it's yenta, you're curious to see what they're building.
It's not cool to trespass & enter others homes. It's no different than entering a home that's lived in already.

amother
Mulberry

amother Gray wrote:

My dh has done it too for the same reason. I wouldn’t because I’m more the cautious type, which dh teases me about. After reading this thread, should I be mortified on his behalf? Divorce him 😙? No he would never listen to me if I told him not to do it.

amother
OP

amother RosePink wrote:
They are and it's also entering someone's private property! If someone's front door is unlocked would you go inside just because you're curious? Go inside someone's car because it looks nice?

This. It's the same thing. It's private property & you can be jailed for trespassing.

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 6:57 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
I've done it but I'd never ever publicize it!
I'm talking about new construction with no owner yet, not my neighbors addition

Well someone owns it!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 6:57 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:
My dh has done it too for the same reason. I wouldn’t because I’m more the cautious type, which dh teases me about. After reading this thread, should I be mortified on his behalf? Divorce him? No he would never listen to me if I told him not to do it.

Don't be mortified on his behalf, you can't control his actions.

amother
Daylily

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 7:04 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
I didn't think there was anything wrong about it
In retrospect it wasn't super safe, but I don't think it was so terrible...

I’m literally in shock!!!!
Homes under construction are PRIVATE PROPERTY
Why in the world would you think it’s allowed?????
Safety is not even the issue here (although it’s a big one!)
Like what would go through someone’s hands to just go into someone else’s house Surprised

Even if it’s not bought by anyone, it’s owned by the developer
It’s not a free museum
I literally can NOT wrap my head around this

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 7:07 pm
Our builder just showed us a video on someone’s surveillance system of a family coming to check out their neighbors house on a shabbos afternoon.

They hadn’t realized that the neighbors had moved in and they giving all their opinions on what they hate and what they would do differently, all while the new neighbors were eating their shabbos meal.

Needless to say they were mortified when they entered the dining room and found them around the table. I hope they learned their lesson.

It’s a typical Shabbos entertainment in our circles. Going around breaking into peoples construction sites to check them out.

It makes my blood boil!

We installed an alarm system that legit shrieks when someone enters. We hope that will keep people away

amother
Daylily

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 7:07 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
Doesn't really feel that way when it's just rows of frames owned by some big developer
Vs neighbor down the block building a custom home

That’s along the same lines as “it’s ok to steal from target cuz their a multi-billion dollar industry, but I’d never steal from a poor person”
As yidden we know stealing is wrong. Period
And trespassing is a form of stealing

amother
Carnation

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 7:11 pm
I recently called a designer in for advice and told her I want to show her a previously done wing of the house. Her response "I've seen it before you were in" I was flabbergasted and didn't give ehr more work.
That was the cheapest , indecent thing someone could have done.
I'd definitely had called the cops had I know people were trespassing during construction, and professionals at that!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 7:16 pm
It’s bad manners and a violation.
But you’re overreacting op.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette