Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Entering homes under construction (Monsey View)
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:41 pm
Last week, someone wrote in a letter to the Monsey view that she see's strangers & passersby entering homes under construction to see the house, and how wrong that is and it's not allowed.
This week, someone wrote back a letter saying that yes, she goes in to homes under construction because IT'S THE ONLY CHANCE SHE GETS TO SEE THE HOUSE because once the new neighbors move in, she won't get to see the house anymore!!!
I'm so dumbfounded and flabbergasted over this, and hoping that it's a joke. I'm speechless!
Do people really do this????

cnc

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:42 pm
I didn’t read it but I hope it’s satire .

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:43 pm
That's creepy.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:46 pm
Omg it’s my pet peeve. We put on combination locks as soon as we had doors on because ppl are absolute yentas and creeps.

amother
Yolk

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:47 pm
I've done it but I'd never ever publicize it!
I'm talking about new construction with no owner yet, not my neighbors addition

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:47 pm
It would be up to the construction people to limit entry and frankly I am surprised that a GC is letting people on a construction site for liability purposes.

However, the reality is that people essentially do this all the time when the go to Open Houses of homes - especially when they go to their neighbors.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:48 pm
I gre up doing it -

Whether it was a multi million dollar mansion - new build or just a run of the mill expensive home.

As an adult?
Nope I haven't done it.

The adults I was raised with definitely still do it.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:49 pm
Amarante wrote:
It would be up to the construction people to limit entry and frankly I am surprised that a GC is letting people on a construction site for liability purposes.

However, the reality is that people essentially do this all the time when the go to Open Houses of homes - especially when they go to their neighbors.

Except an open house is literally an invitation. For liability and privacy reasons it’s awful to walk into homes under construction.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:51 pm
amother Coral wrote:
Except an open house is literally an invitation. For liability and privacy reasons it’s awful to walk into homes under construction.

I'm not condoning the practice - merely stating that it is up to the Construction Crew or GC to bar people from entering and I am shocked that they allow people to do so - simply from their liability potential if someone trips over a piece of wood or similar.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:56 pm
I did this once when I was about 10 or 11 years old and Shabbos with a friend who said they did it all the time. The police came and put a stop to it that real quick.

Aside from trespassing, the construction zone as a hazard. Contrary to what many people think, permits and safety checks exist for a reason aside from making money for the municipality.

Last edited by watergirl on Wed, Jan 03 2024, 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 5:05 pm
Amarante wrote:

It's mostly on shabbos that people do it, when no workers are around.
I cannot believe that people are saying that adults do this! That's just unbelievable.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 5:06 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
I've done it but I'd never ever publicize it!
I'm talking about new construction with no owner yet, not my neighbors addition

It has an owner, even if no one bought the house yet. It's not yours to enter. That's just wrong.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 5:30 pm
It’s actually in the Boro park view too, I wonder if they did it purposely and if it’s a real letter or just made up. It did get my blood boiling though.

amother
Yolk

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 5:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
It has an owner, even if no one bought the house yet. It's not yours to enter. That's just wrong.

I didn't think there was anything wrong about it
In retrospect it wasn't super safe, but I don't think it was so terrible...

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 5:36 pm
When we bought our current home 16 years ago, we did a gut renovation inside. One of the neighbors, not even a frum person let me know that she enjoyed walking through the house and seeing the work we were doing. I was shocked and asked her not to do that again.
It is dangerous and I think I would’ve been liable for any injuries.
What a chutzpah

Rubber Ducky

Another reason homes under construction should be locked up is theft. Yes, people really do steal pipes, fixtures, appliances, and doors/windows.

amother
OP

amother Yolk wrote:

If it's not your home or you're not the builder, then it's wrong and terrible to enter.
This shouldn't have to be explained to an adult. I can't believe anyone would think this is an ok thing to do.

amother
Whitewash

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 5:39 pm
amother Yolk wrote:

Besides the safety issue, it’s trespassing. You’re going onto someone’s private property and into their house (even if no one lives there yet). Yes, it’s wrong,

amother
Yolk

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 5:47 pm
I haven't done it in years, and won't do it again...

amother
Yolk

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 5:50 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
Besides the safety issue, it’s trespassing. You’re going onto someone’s private property and into their house (even if no one lives there yet). Yes, it’s wrong,

Doesn't really feel that way when it's just rows of frames owned by some big developer
Vs neighbor down the block building a custom home
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette