Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Solar Eclipse 2024
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 12:15 pm
Anybody planning on going? Where do you live and where do you plan to travel?

I'll start:
We live in tristate area and plan on traveling to Buffalo/Niagara.

MrsDash

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 12:51 pm
I live in the midwest, but I don't think it'll be passing with a good view. I can always wait until the next one in 2044! Laugh I need to travel more south for a better view, which I might end up doing.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 1:07 pm
We live in the NY/NJ area. My sibling is flying to Dallas to see it.
Cannot for the life of me understand why it interests someone THAT much (I remember the one from a few summers ago it was cool but not thaaaaat exciting) but to each his own.

scintilla

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 1:09 pm
I've been saying for years that I'll travel to Niagara for it, but it's 2 weeks before Pesach! Not sure how that will work! I would really love to though.

Anywhere else on the east coast that people are traveling to for it?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 8:39 pm
scintilla wrote:
I've been saying for years that I'll travel to Niagara for it, but it's 2 weeks before Pesach! Not sure how that will work! I would really love to though.

Anywhere else on the east coast that people are traveling to for it?

You can just go straight up north to the area near Ausable Chasm

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 8:41 pm
amother Floralwhite wrote:
We live in the NY/NJ area. My sibling is flying to Dallas to see it.
Cannot for the life of me understand why it interests someone THAT much (I remember the one from a few summers ago it was cool but not thaaaaat exciting) but to each his own.

Because if you didnt see the total eclipse, you didnt see anything... We traveled 10 hrs last time.

scintilla

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 10:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
You can just go straight up north to the area near Ausable Chasm

That's a good idea, though I have a place to stay in Toronto so it may be worth the shlep up a few more hours... You're getting me into this!! Someone bump this thread in 2 months so I can think about it for real!

OP, what are your plans?

I've never seen a total eclipse but just the taste of it last time was enough to get me into it. I remember lining up at B&H for glasses with hundreds of other people - it was the last place in NYC that had them in stock and no one was selling them online. Then of course the morning of somehow the local coffee shop had some on the counter for $30 each 😂

GLUE

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 10:59 pm
Is this the one that is suppose to go over Philadelphia?

amother
Foxglove

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 12:54 am
scintilla wrote:
I've never seen a total eclipse but just the taste of it last time was enough to get me into it. I remember lining up at B&H for glasses with hundreds of other people - it was the last place in NYC that had them in stock and no one was selling them online. Then of course the morning of somehow the local coffee shop had some on the counter for $30 each 😂

They're available on amazon for a lot less than that, so anyone making plans can stock up now, and not have to worry.

scintilla

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 6:19 am
amother Foxglove wrote:
They're available on amazon for a lot less than that, so anyone making plans can stock up now, and not have to worry.

You don't need the glasses to view a total eclipse, just a partial one, although I suppose it's still useful for viewing when it's approaching totality.

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 7:08 am
Haven't decided yet, but we might. Is there anywhere else in upstate NY other than Buffalo or it has the be that area?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 7:39 am
scintilla wrote:
That's a good idea, though I have a place to stay in Toronto so it may be worth the shlep up a few more hours... You're getting me into this!! Someone bump this thread in 2 months so I can think about it for real!

OP, what are your plans?

Toronto might not be in the path of totality. See this map https://eclipse2024.org/eclips......html

Last time we spent under $10 for those glasses, don't remember exactly and when we got to the viewing place, there was someone handing them out for free. He told us that he thought people would snatch them up, but not a SINGLE person took one Smile Everyone had come equipped.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 7:42 am
GLUE wrote:
Is this the one that is suppose to go over Philadelphia?

Philadelphia will probably see it partially but will not be in the path of totality.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 7:45 am
scintilla wrote:
You don't need the glasses to view a total eclipse, just a partial one, although I suppose it's still useful for viewing when it's approaching totality.

Totality is approximately 3 minutes or less (or a bit more depending on your location). For the whole rest of the time before and after, you need the glasses to follow the progression of the sun.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 7:47 am
amother Linen wrote:
Haven't decided yet, but we might. Is there anywhere else in upstate NY other than Buffalo or it has the be that area?

Sure! Check out the linked map. The whole shaded area is the path of totality. Closer to the center line indicates a longer time of totality. https://eclipse2024.org/eclips......html

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 7:51 am
http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site.....;LC=1

This map, when you click on any city, tells you the start time and end time of the eclipse and total time of totality. (For some reason my browser is telling me it's not a secure site, so beware.)

Rappel

Post Fri, Jan 05 2024, 7:55 am
The eclipse won't be visible from Israel - by us, it will already be the eve of RH Nissan.

Hmmm...

amother
Garnet

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 6:24 pm
Okay, I feel really stupid. I must have been living under a rock, and I didn't plan ahead for this. There is a city that will be in the direct line of the eclipse that's about 4 hours from me.

All hotels/airbnb/vrbo within like a hundred mile radius are booked. So I could take my kids and drive the morning of, but my question is: how do I find a place to actually view the eclipse? just pull into the walmart parking lot and daven that there is room?

scintilla

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 6:27 pm
amother Garnet wrote:
Okay, I feel really stupid. I must have been living under a rock, and I didn't plan ahead for this. There is a city that will be in the direct line of the eclipse that's about 4 hours from me.

All hotels/airbnb/vrbo within like a hundred mile radius are booked. So I could take my kids and drive the morning of, but my question is: how do I find a place to actually view the eclipse? just pull into the walmart parking lot and daven that there is room?

From what I recall hearing last time, there may be a lot of traffic and the actual city is likely to be crowded, yeah even the Walmart parking lot. You are better off finding somewhere a little out of the city where you can stop and see it. Leave extra time in case there is traffic, you don't want to miss it by a few minutes for a silly reason like that.

Disclaimer: I have no actual information about this time around.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 6:43 pm
Rappel wrote:
The eclipse won't be visible from Israel - by us, it will already be the eve of RH Nissan.

Hmmm...

Solar eclipses always happen at the on the last or first day of the Jewish month, when there's no visible moon. Lunar eclipses always happen in the middle when it's a full moon.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics