Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Solar Eclipse 2024
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Birch

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 6:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
Because if you didnt see the total eclipse, you didnt see anything... We traveled 10 hrs last time.

I'm so curious what stage of life you are in? I don't think I'd do something like this till my youngest is in high school and that will probably be in about 20 years

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 6:54 pm
I missed the major eclipse in August 2017 because I was sick with an HG pregnancy, stuck in bed with an IV and completely non-functional. I had a mother's helper for my toddler and I just told her to keep her indoors during that time. My older children were in day camp and I don't think they did anything with them. I was disappointed to miss it, but I'm not going to drive anywhere to catch the next one. Iy"H one day there will be another one over NY that I'll catch or E"Y if mashiach comes first.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 7:51 am
amother Garnet wrote:
Okay, I feel really stupid. I must have been living under a rock, and I didn't plan ahead for this. There is a city that will be in the direct line of the eclipse that's about 4 hours from me.

All hotels/airbnb/vrbo within like a hundred mile radius are booked. So I could take my kids and drive the morning of, but my question is: how do I find a place to actually view the eclipse? just pull into the walmart parking lot and daven that there is room?

Yes! Plan to drive in the early am hours like 5-6 am.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 7:55 am
amother Birch wrote:
I'm so curious what stage of life you are in? I don't think I'd do something like this till my youngest is in high school and that will probably be in about 20 years

You do you. But my youngest at that time was 16 months old and my oldest was under 10. My older ones were really into it and are already excited for the next one. IMO it depends on YOUR attitude. DH and I were so interested and invested that the kids caught onto it.
This time around my youngest will be younger but obviously my oldest is older.

amother
Mocha

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 8:08 am
When is this solar eclipse?

amother
Birch

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 8:29 am
amother OP wrote:
You do you. But my youngest at that time was 16 months old and my oldest was under 10. My older ones were really into it and are already excited for the next one. IMO it depends on YOUR attitude. DH and I were so interested and invested that the kids caught onto it.
This time around my youngest will be younger but obviously my oldest is older.

I wasn't trying to sound judgmental.... I was just curious.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 9:03 am
amother Mocha wrote:
When is this solar eclipse?

April 8

jeg

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 12:58 pm
ad removed. If you want to sell for profit, please contact Yael for permission -mod

miami85

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 1:16 pm
amother Floralwhite wrote:
We live in the NY/NJ area. My sibling is flying to Dallas to see it.
Cannot for the life of me understand why it interests someone THAT much (I remember the one from a few summers ago it was cool but not thaaaaat exciting) but to each his own.

We were REALLY close--in the 99% range in 2017, and there are real changes to life and the environment when there's a total eclipse. It is really something to behold. We are about 2 hours from a totality zone and we are motivated to go get there because we were SO close last time but it wasn't enough.

Really made me understand "M'at min haor docheh harbeh min hachoshech"

amother
Stone

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 1:52 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
I missed the major eclipse in August 2017 because I was sick with an HG pregnancy, stuck in bed with an IV and completely non-functional. I had a mother's helper for my toddler and I just told her to keep her indoors during that time. My older children were in day camp and I don't think they did anything with them. I was disappointed to miss it, but I'm not going to drive anywhere to catch the next one. Iy"H one day there will be another one over NY that I'll catch or E"Y if mashiach comes first.

I thought my memory was playing tricks on me! Thanks for letting me know I’m not crazy…
August 2017 eclipse, I joined many doctors and nurses and patients in the hospital garden! My baby was in the NICU and whoever was able to go out then did! I think someone lent me their glasses, but I’m hazy on the rest of the details! Just remembered watching something from the garden and you just confirmed to me it was an eclipse!

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 2:32 pm
I remember every local grocery sold those disposable glasses for a few dollars. I don't remember actually seeing anything in the sky in 2017? Will anything be visible in NY?
No, I can't put my life on hold to travel, nor would I want to, but kol hakavod to the adventurous imas who will.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 2:46 pm
So annoyed we are nowhere near it. And it would take HOURS to get anywhere near totality.
I live in Los Angeles. I would have to drive to Texas to see it.
I am the nerd that likes seeing planets, stayed up once to see a meteor shower (only saw 1 where we were though), and enjoy these weird phenomenon.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 3:03 pm
That’s do sunny because I live in Dallas and barely know about it. Tell me why it’s worth leaving work for a few min 🙈

amother
Peony

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 9:41 pm
with purim behind, I'm getting excited for this.

I really want to take my kids. What do I need to know? Just drive out 5 hours and.....? Stop at a random place?

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 9:48 pm
Will it be visible at all from NJ?

amother
Sunflower

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 10:24 pm
I’d love to go stay somewhere within driving distance to 99-100% but my kids are too little to trust to keep the glasses on or not look and I am too worried about eye/vision damage so I’m not going.
For anyone who is going that will be pretty amazing.

giftedmom

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 11:06 pm
amother Coral wrote:
I remember every local grocery sold those disposable glasses for a few dollars. I don't remember actually seeing anything in the sky in 2017? Will anything be visible in NY?
No, I can't put my life on hold to travel, nor would I want to, but kol hakavod to the adventurous imas who will.

We were upstate and it got pretty dark for 2-3 hours. We’ll have 89% here in Brooklyn. Probably more further upstate.

amother
Ebony

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 9:54 am
amother Hotpink wrote:
Will it be visible at all from NJ?

Not really. You might get something partial, but the main event that everyone is getting excited about for total 100% darkness will not be in NJ.

amother
Jasmine

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:09 am
In 2017 I was working in a daycamp and because they were scared of liability to campers, they made everyone including staff stay inside. I had been looking forward and was so disappointed.

Tzutzie

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:18 am
I think it'll be around 90% were I am (monroe)
Good enough for me.
Dh ordered the glasses 2 weeks ago. Kids are so facinated and excited too. My oldest is 10 and she remembers the last one!!!!!
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics