Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Birth certificate name change

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 06 2024, 10:34 pm
Hi, I did a name change for my daughter (a 3 year old) and now I have to change the name on her birth certificate. I received my name change certificate, but where do I apply for new birth certificate

amother
Dill

Post Sat, Jan 06 2024, 11:04 pm

blutzabc

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 5:09 am
?

singleagain

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 5:15 am
Assuming you are in the states look up your states office of vital statistics , and find out how to do a legal name change

This is it in NJ

https://www.nj.gov/health/vita.....al/#1
Legal Name Changes
To amend your name on a birth, marriage, civil union or domestic partnership record, mail the following documents to the address listed below.

A letter identifying the vital record to be corrected. Identify the name currently reported on the vital record, the exact date and place where the event occurred, and in the case of a birth record, the mother’s full maiden name and father’s full name, if listed on the vital record.
A copy of the original judgment of name change.
Payment in the amount of $2 to process the legal name change. A certified copy of the certificate can be ordered for $25 for the first copy and $2 for each additional copy of the same certificate. Please remit payment in the form of a check or money order made payable to: Treasurer, State of New Jersey.
New Jersey Office of Vital Statistics and Registration
Attn: – Record Modification Unit
PO Box 370
Trenton, NJ 08625-0370

You would just find the similar type information for your state

If you are not in the states, look for something similar on your local governments website

blutzabc

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 6:56 am
Thank you!

amother
DarkGreen

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 7:35 am
Why does it matter what their legal name is? Just out of curiosity. Most of my kids legal names are not the same as their Hebrew ones. I don’t consider a birth certificate to have any real impact on what their name is
For example, let’s say I have a son named shlomo simcha, his birth certificate says just “Solomon” or a moshe yitzchok, and his birth certificate just says “moshe”
If your reasons for changing the name were Jewish reasons (I’m assuming) then does it matter if it’s changed?

amother
Feverfew

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 7:43 am
amother DarkGreen wrote:
Why does it matter what their legal name is? Just out of curiosity. Most of my kids legal names are not the same as their Hebrew ones. I don’t consider a birth certificate to have any real impact on what their name is
For example, let’s say I have a son named shlomo simcha, his birth certificate says just “Solomon” or a moshe yitzchok, and his birth certificate just says “moshe”
If your reasons for changing the name were Jewish reasons (I’m assuming) then does it matter if it’s changed?

I think she changed the legal name and now wants the birth certificate to reflect that

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 7:47 am
In NJ you need to file with the court to change a person’s name.

See https://www.njcourts.gov/self-.....minor

amother
Thistle

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 8:03 am
amother DarkGreen wrote:

A birth certificate doesn’t have any religious impact but it’s the name that’s on all your papers for doctors, work etc. So to use your names as examples if you planned on calling your son Shlomo so you put Solomon on the birth certificate but ended up calling him Moshe it makes sense to want them to change the birth certificate so they ‘match.’ Dh’s Hebrew name and his legal name don’t match at all and it’s caused confusion and some paperwork mixups.

blutzabc

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 8:27 am
I already went through the court system for the name change . I received it .. now I want it to reflect on birth certificate too .

blutzabc

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 8:29 am
And yes I’m trying to avoid the confusion and paperwork mixup Smile I figured now is the time to change it.. or never

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 8:29 am
Your last 2 posts aren't anon

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 8:40 am
blutzabc wrote:
I already went through the court system for the name change . I received it .. now I want it to reflect on birth certificate too .

When my husband became a Rabbi, he legally changed his name from his English to his Hebrew name. He did not change his birth certificate. Any time he needs to provide his birth certificate for something he needs to provide his birth certificate with old legal name, name change documentation, and current Identification with new legal name.

We have 4 kids whose birth certificates show his English names. There have been times I've had to give their birth certificates, his current ID and his name change documentation to show it's really him.

blutzabc

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 8:49 am
So why not change the name on birth certificate as well?

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 9:09 am
blutzabc wrote:
So why not change the name on birth certificate as well?

Legally that could not be done. That was his given name at birth.

The laws may be different for a child or in the state you are in.

singleagain

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 9:11 am
amother Bisque wrote:
Legally that could not be done. That was his given name at birth.

The laws may be different for a child or in the state you are in.

I've heard lots of stories about ppl getting birth certificates reissued with name changes.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 1:09 pm
singleagain wrote:
I've heard lots of stories about ppl getting birth certificates reissued with name changes.

The state we lived in at the time said it couldn't be done. I don't recall the reasoning behind it. Perhaps it was because the birth certificate was issued in a different state than the name change. I really don't remember, but he was told he couldn't do it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics