Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Would you Help me find DH a new field
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 5:21 pm
Would you please help me find DH a new field / line of work? He has been working for a failed family business for the past three decades, and really need out.
Here is some info that may be important:
*He's in his early 50's.
* Smicha that he never used formally but no college degree.
* Smart but not very articulate
* Some basic computer skills (but not more than that)
* Some difficulty with more complex reading/writing comprehension skills (I suspect possibly some learning disability that wasn't diagnosed as a child / or ever)
* Really good with his hands and can fix almost anything (think plumbing, gardening etc)
* He is creative, high energy and quick
* Likeable (pleasant, knows how to joke with people, and get along for the most part)
As you can imagine, his inability to to find gainful employment has put a strain on his self-esteem, our finances as well as on our marriage. It's only recently that he became open to looking for other jobs, but his prospects at this point are poor. He lacks skills and training and is not a good candidate for most jobs, and doesn't get many job interviews.

If he were 15 years younger, plumbing would make a lot of sense for him. But at this point, he is more frail and not strong enough for heavy duty manual labor. (And to get to a point where he can hire someone under him takes time and experience).
Agudah did not have any good suggestions for him, and actually discouraged him from going for computer system / cyber training. They told him that even if he gets through all the training, there's a bias for hiring younger people.

So we are looking for something he can learn in a couple of months (some certificate training) that would yield a decent income either part-time or full time. It's ok if I am the higher income spouse, but I just want him to have a purpose and feel that he's contributing. (And OK, if I'm being honest, it would be nice to have him become a better provider. It is not an easy load to carry...)

I appreciate any leads / ideas suggestions you may have.

amother
Aconite

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 5:25 pm
Construction management

Kitchen cabinet design

oneofakind

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 5:38 pm
Appliance repair
Handyman - people need someone willing to do small jobs, not major construction. He should charge $50 an hour and could do well

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 5:43 pm
Cellphone repair.

Bleemee

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 5:49 pm
oneofakind wrote:
Appliance repair
Handyman - people need someone willing to do small jobs, not major construction. He should charge $50 an hour and could do well

The handyman I hired charged closer to $100 an hour.

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 5:50 pm
Was thinking along the lines of repairman as well

Also along the construction field, cutting wood, flooring installation, plumbing installation etc

Salesman, especially for a construction/building/repairing company

He could work for a company as well as do these things freelance

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 5:52 pm
Designer, architect, drafting. there are some good Heimish courses

amother
Darkblue

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 5:58 pm
If this can be helpful at all, AIM Hire assists with finding jobs for middle-aged individuals

pinkflowergirl

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 5:59 pm
Building manager

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 6:04 pm
oneofakind wrote:
Appliance repair

Several of you suggested appliance repair. Is there such training/ a course he can take?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 6:05 pm
amother Strawberry wrote:
Was thinking along the lines of repairman as well

Also along the construction field, cutting wood, flooring installation, plumbing installation etc

Salesman, especially for a construction/building/repairing company

He could work for a company as well as do these things freelance

How would you get started with any of these?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 6:06 pm
amother Darkblue wrote:
If this can be helpful at all, AIM Hire assists with finding jobs for middle-aged individuals

What's AIM? Can you please tell me more?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 6:10 pm
pinkflowergirl wrote:
Building manager

How do you get hired as building management without prior experience in property management? Do you need a degree for it?

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 6:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
Several of you suggested appliance repair. Is there such training/ a course he can take?

I believe hands on training is the best . Is he willing to work for someone for the first year at a very low rate so he could get trained on the job and then as he’s able to go out on jobs on his own his wage increases and eventually he can do this on his own? He’s not young though . My sons do this type of work , and worked for very low wages at first .

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 6:23 pm
amother Gold wrote:
I believe hands on training is the best . Is he willing to work for someone for the first year at a very low rate so he could get trained on the job and then as he’s able to go out on jobs on his own his wage increases and eventually he can do this on his own? He’s not young though . My sons do this type of work , and worked for very low wages at first .

I was thinking about that. But why would someone want to train an older guy, just so that they can then leave and work on their own?

pinkflowergirl

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 6:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
How do you get hired as building management without prior experience in property management? Do you need a degree for it?

No degree is needed, he can start with a smaller building or like a school

amother
Aconite

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 6:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
What's AIM? Can you please tell me more?

https://www.aim-hire.org/

amother
NeonPink

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 6:37 pm
He should sell kleenex tissues and become a plumber.
I just had a stuffed toilet. Plumber said it was because the newer toilets can’t get the Kleenex down properly. I was thinking if a plumber sold Kleenex on the side he would have so many clients LOL

amother
Clover

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 9:14 pm
FBA----- most of it is sitting in front of the computer. For lifting the boxes he could hire an assistant. He can do retail arbitrage ebay to amazon and never leave the house (schedule pickups) or he could go out with his assistant once a week with a scanner. There's a learning curve but you don't need a lot of computer skills other than learning a few softwares and he could make his own schedule and work mostly at home.

Start with a free course. Bookselling is the only course currently available but it's an easy way to start FBA. http://starthumble.com

amother
Caramel

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 9:17 pm
amother Aconite wrote:
https://www.aim-hire.org/

Do you need to be unemployed for this? My DH is employed but can use an upgrade/change
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics