Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much do u spend on groceries a week?
Previous  1  2  3

Grocery costs a week
100-250  
 23%  [ 37 ]
250-350  
 24%  [ 39 ]
350-500  
 29%  [ 47 ]
500-700  
 14%  [ 22 ]
700-900  
 4%  [ 7 ]
900+  
 3%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 157

amother
Grape

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 9:45 pm
amother Ruby wrote:
We spend $5-$6...

We drink grape juice! Lol

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 9:49 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
We have food stamps. I'm feeding 13 people Kah. Yes I make a protein every single day. If I would guesstimate I would day aprox $650 a week. This doesn't include the protein. It does include breakfast and fruits/vegetables.

Why is the protein that you eat every day not included in your grocery bill? That must add up to quite a lot for 13 ppl.

amother
Heather

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 9:53 pm
No government help. Family of 5. Hardly ever have guests. We don’t keep cholov Yisroel. We don’t go out to eat. We mostly have dairy dinners during the week or Shabbos leftovers. We spend around $300-$350 a week on food.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 9:57 pm
amother Grape wrote:
We drink grape juice! Lol

We use grape juice but I splurge on sparkling grape juice some weeks. We also buy a few cases of wine at a time and that lasts a while. Usually a mix of different sweet and bubbly and some dry.

amother
Heather

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 9:57 pm
amother Moccasin wrote:
Honestly, I was pretty surprised myself when I calculated the average for 2023, but that's what it was. (actually lower, but I added a bit because I probably missed something).
I think it's because of some of these factors:
no cholov yisrael costs. little kids. naturally not big spenders. walmart-type prices for the foods that can be found there. lack of kosher store: so if I finish the case of chicken cutlets that I bought in the last bulk order, I just don't have chicken cutlets for a few months-I can't just go buy more-so we'll have maybe more eggs instead, let's say. there's no such thing as kosher takeout, barely any premade foods at all. also, any challah, cakes...are homemade.
possible inaccuracies: could be something was missed in my calculation, but I do think my adjustment accounts for that. also, if I have only the total for a shopping trip that's more than food (let's say walmart food+toys in one order) then I sometimes include those in my total and sometimes not, and hope that it evens out. I do think my spending has increased gradually throughout the year, so maybe at this point I'm really spending $150 or so per week.

Do you buy much produce? We eat so much produce and even with Walmart prices it still adds up so quickly!

amother
Moccasin

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 10:34 pm
amother Heather wrote:
Do you buy much produce? We eat so much produce and even with Walmart prices it still adds up so quickly!

I wouldn't say we eat so much... but also, I don't find walmart prices that great for produce compared to other stores near me, except for a few things, like lettuce, mushrooms, and cucumbers.

aria3578

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 7:56 am
amother Grape wrote:
Definitely. Wine alone I’d spend $15 a bottle. That’s $100 saving a month

Dh and I have expensive wine taste. $20-$30 bottles are not enjoyable for us. Rather no wine. I don’t get flowers for shab. I rather wine

aria3578

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 7:59 am
amother Kiwi wrote:
I have the same sized family. My husband is a foodie. I still don’t think we spend over 200.00 a week when it’s just us. And I’m not very budgeted when it comes to food. We both work full time and buy what we need and don’t run around finding deals. If we have guests we’ll buy a larger piece of meat and a nicer wine. There are some foods that I have ingrained in me not to buy because they are pricey like fruits and vegetables that are already cut up.

Is that including shab shopping?
Bec when I go away for shab I spend less

I buy pre-checked lettuce
And sometimes cut squashes

amother
Steelblue

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 8:50 am
amother Blueberry wrote:
That's very good management, would you mind sharing what you typically serve for meals in a day?

That doesn't include proteins though and includes food stamps. I'm curious to hear what the full amount spent is.

amother
Steelblue

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 9:36 am
Family of 4. We spend about $150-250. Fleishigs are 2 maybe three meals a week, usually consiting of Shabbos leftovers/repurposed leftovers for one and a half meals. We use cheese/dairy and beans and eggs as protein for other meals. No govt programs. We keep cy.

amother
Kiwi

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 9:46 am
aria3578 wrote:
Is that including shab shopping?
Bec when I go away for shab I spend less

I buy pre-checked lettuce
And sometimes cut squashes

Yes it includes shabbos. I do a big shabbos shopping on Wednesday that usually totals up to 150. And then during the week I spend an additional 50 on things I forgot or need to be bought fresh like fish. I make my own dips for shabbos because we enjoy fresh more than store bought. I buy pre checked lettuce and the weeks I eat salads for lunch I probably spend a bit more on lettuce. We happen to have lots of chicken and meat in our freezer that we stocked up on when it was on sale so often we don’t need to buy cholent meat or cutlets. And if it’s just us and my husband wants meat for shabbos he’ll buy a cheaper piece for around 20.00.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics