Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What side hustles do you or DH do?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 6:50 pm
I need ideas

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 6:57 pm
I sell on ebay/poshmark

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 7:15 pm
We do what we do at work but on the side for hourly pay. I'm an interior designer; my husband works in the trades. We can each get paid 3-4 times what we make per hour at work when we take private side jobs.

amother
Mint

I've also done haircuts in the past

amother
Mulberry

amother NeonBlue wrote:
I sell on ebay/poshmark

Would you share how one can source products?

Is it easier than Amazon (as being less restricted what you are allowed to sell)?

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 7:18 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:
Would you share how one can source products?

Is it easier than Amazon (as being less restricted what you are allowed to sell)?

I started recently and still trying to find what to source. For now I buy things on sale and flip it. It's easier than Amazon because you can sell whatever you want. But you can earn more on amazon.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 7:24 pm
Selling high end designer items/personal shopping

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:37 am
amother NeonBlue wrote:
I started recently and still trying to find what to source. For now I buy things on sale and flip it. It's easier than Amazon because you can sell whatever you want. But you can earn more on amazon.

Are you actually making money with this? Between shipping and laying out the money for the items?

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:40 am
I don't know about poshmark but on ebay my buyers pay me a shipping cost, then I purchase a shipping label for less than they paid me so I even make a buck on the shipping. So yes I make money on ebay.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:42 am
TwinsMommy wrote:
I don't know about poshmark but on ebay my buyers pay me a shipping cost, then I purchase a shipping label for less than they paid me so I even make a buck on the shipping. So yes I make money on ebay.

Can you give me one example of something you’ve bought and then sold and the $ you made?

amother
NeonBlue

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:57 am
amother Navy wrote:
Can you give me one example of something you’ve bought and then sold and the $ you made?

Shoes, handbags, makeup

I make between $5-50 typically. If I think I can make money il sell it I don't stress about making tons. It all adds up.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 12:05 pm
Overnight babysitting
Sunday clubs

amother
Dimgray

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 12:08 pm
None. I don’t know anyone who does. BH 40
Hours out of the home is plenty for me and while of course more money is nice so is a balanced life.

amother
RosePink

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 12:10 pm
DH edits a very niche industry publication. The pay is only a few thousand dollars per year, but it doesn't take much of his time and as a perk he gets a certain essential subscription service for free that would otherwise cost him tens of thousands of dollars per year. There is also a reputational benefit for him in being the editor of this publication.

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:01 pm
amother Navy wrote:

My husband has a ton of Hebrew/English artscroll Gemaras but is now upgrading to the all Hebrew as his Hebrew gets much more fluent (we're BT but he's been in Daf Yomi for many years now). So I've sold/ am selling the old ones he no longer needs.

vintage Judaica items for a neighbor (we shared the profit)

gifts I bought thinking I was going to give but never did

lots of inventory from a business I no longer own

books

dvds

etc etc etc.

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:04 pm
Tutoring bh my husband can charge 100 an hour but I’m trying my to start too even though I don’t want to but we need more money

amother
Mocha

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:07 pm
When I was building up my main business, I sold various sourdough items on the side. I definitely didn't lose money as I really had very little investment. My business now takes up alot of my time and makes more money so I only do a few orders for people with advance notice.

amother
Fern

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 12:31 pm
My DH runs a sports league as a side hustle. If you have the space (court/field) depending on sport, it is great, low operating costs and flexible. You can make a really nice amount of money doing it. We hire high school kids to run most of the games/practices.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 12:57 pm
Dh - Serves on boards (elected and non elected)

I'm a sahm.
Me - mostly trying to be a jack of all trades to save money.
Like cooking from scratch. (Doing it for health benefits for one if my kids mostly but it does save a pretty penny. Since I started, grocery bill is with at least 1-1.5 k less per month.
Cutting my one and kids hair. (I took a course and am actually really good at it.) I used to cut other people's hair but have since stopped. I got too grossed out.
I also keep our babies home with me as long as I possibly could. Even though they are usually the only 2 and 3+ year old kids not in gan in my neighborhood
Do those things count?

Selling random items on ebay that we don't need anymore/couldn't return....
Like I ordered on sale an item for $25. Original price was $60. But it's now out of stock amd in high demand so I sold it for $85!
I have a large garage and a shelf where I keep all the sellable items and every now and then I check what is worth selling then, and I list it.

amother
Daisy

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 12:58 pm
Is there a steep learning curve to learn how to sell regular stuff on eBay? Any tutorials or YouTube you recommend?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics