Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Link?? Recipe?? Bus??
1  2  3  Next

Does this bother you??
No, under 30  
 6%  [ 7 ]
No, over 30  
 19%  [ 20 ]
Yes, under 30  
 31%  [ 32 ]
Yes, over 30  
 42%  [ 43 ]
Total Votes : 102

bp1234

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 8:50 am
What is with these one word questions on group chats etc? What happened to “can I please have the recipe?” “Does anyone know where the bus is?” “Would you be able to send me the recipe?” Is your time too precious that you can’t send the extra few words? Is this just my pet peeve or any other imas with me on this one?

Last edited by bp1234 on Tue, Jan 09 2024, 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 9:02 am
Yes! I'm with you

watergirl

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 9:57 am
It’s one of the reasons I avoid the “whats for dinner” thread here; I like it for dinner inspiration. But seeing someone say “sweet and sour meatballs with rice” and then someone else write “recipe?” really irks me. Also why I don’t like posting about a good solution product - the “link?” comes off as so rude.

Which brings me back to the thread about using AI on this website. We are PEOPLE! Not a search bar. It feels like people forgetting that each screen name is a real human.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 10:10 am
Personally I don't get the big deal. People are messaging throughout their day while doing other things, maybe cooking or talking to their kids or holding a baby. Sometimes they're doing it with one hand while juggling everything else. There's no need to sit down and compose an entire megillah for every simple message. No one wants to read a megillah, either.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 10:18 am
bp1234 wrote:
What is with these one word questions on group chats etc? What happened to “can I please have the recipe?” “Does anyone know where the bus is?” “Would you be able to send me the recipe?” Is your time too precious that you can’t send the extra few words? Is this just my pet peeve or any other imas with me on this one?

Is it the lack of a “please” that bothers you, or the abbreviated writing in general?

Sadly all writing in texts, WhatsApps and casual emails has become abbreviated… it seems no one has time for anything any more (except spending hours playing with their phones, ironically).

There’s a meme I saw recently that said, “I wonder what those people who write ‘u’ instead of ‘you’ are doing with all their extra time.”

Just a sign of our times…

Last edited by Cheiny on Tue, Jan 09 2024, 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total

watergirl

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 10:19 am
amother Aquamarine wrote:
Personally I don't get the big deal. People are messaging throughout their day while doing other things, maybe cooking or talking to their kids or holding a baby. Sometimes they're doing it with one hand while juggling everything else. There's no need to sit down and compose an entire megillah for every simple message. No one wants to read a megillah, either.

Saying “ If you have time, I’d love the recipe or link” is a megillah?

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 10:21 am
Is it an age thing? Irks me too, but so does all that kind of stuff. I’m in my 40s.

Queen Of Hearts

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 10:23 am
Recipe please? or Link please? is definitely better than Recipe? or Link?
Personally I would probably write Sounds Delicious! Can I have the recipe please?

Eta Or if I'm really pressed for time I'll write Sounds delish! Recipe please? Wink

Last edited by Queen Of Hearts on Tue, Jan 09 2024, 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 10:29 am
watergirl wrote:
Saying “ If you have time, I’d love the recipe or link” is a megillah?
If they're swiping with one thumb while nursing and trying to deal with a toddler with the other hand, then yes, every extra word is a megillah.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 11:01 am
amother Aquamarine wrote:
If they're swiping with one thumb while nursing and trying to deal with a toddler with the other hand, then yes, every extra word is a megillah.

If they're nursing a baby and trying to deal with a toddler, they should not be texting!

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 11:13 am
I won’t answer to ppl who post rudely like that. And if you are dealing with a baby and toddler,
sorry, but focus on them and put down your phone and ask for a link or recipe later.
People will always come up with excuses to be rude but I don’t need to respond or help them out.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 11:22 am
amother Cinnamon wrote:
If they're nursing a baby and trying to deal with a toddler, they should not be texting!

Touché. I get particularly upset when I see a mother wheeling her baby across a busy street while looking down at her phone. Are we that addicted that it can’t wait?

bp1234

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:57 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Is it the lack of a “please” that bothers you, or the abbreviated writing in general?

Sadly all writing in texts, WhatsApps and casual emails has become abbreviated… it seems no one has time for anything any more (except spending hours playing with their phones, ironically).

There’s a meme I saw recently that said, “I wonder what those people who write ‘u’ instead of ‘you’ are doing with all their extra time.”

Just a sign of our times…

No I don’t care about the please. It’s just so rude imo. Imagine if people would talk like that in the streets.

bp1234

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:58 pm
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
Is it an age thing? Irks me too, but so does all that kind of stuff. I’m in my 40s.

I’m in my young 30s Smile

amother
Brass

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:59 pm
Queen Of Hearts wrote:
Recipe please? or Link please? is definitely better than Recipe? or Link?
Personally I would probably write Sounds Delicious! Can I have the recipe please?

Eta Or if I'm really pressed for time I'll write Sounds delish! Recipe please? Wink

Exactly! Not looking for a megilla! 1-2 extra words make a huge difference in the delivery.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 2:45 pm
amother Cinnamon wrote:

Some of us do that for many hours a day...while we're trying to wait for the bus or cook the recipe or order the item.

ddmom

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 3:19 pm
amother Bottlebrush wrote:

Totally an age thing!
I would say above 30 or under....(maybe 40)
Someone should make a poll! LOL

bp1234

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 3:22 pm
ddmom wrote:
Totally an age thing!
I would say above 30 or under....(maybe 40)
Someone should make a poll! LOL

Added

DreamerForever

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 5:02 pm
Low thirties here too, and it annoys me to no end. If you're asking me for a recipe, that takes minimum two mins to type out; the least you can do is ask politely.
And say thank you.

Perhaps I'm sensitive, but it really upsets me on here when I give advice, recipes, or links and no thank you is forthcoming TMI .
I find it a rude symptom of the young entitled generation. And I'm pretty young myself.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 5:30 pm
I’m voted yes it does bother me but I thought you meant the double question mark.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette