Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Healthy weight question

miami85

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 9:42 am
So I've been on a health and weight-loss journey for a year+ now, and despite my best efforts I can't seem to get beyond--according to BMI measurements--10lb overweight. Now I know that BMI is overrated, and I have a big bust so that probably does factor in to some degree. So how do I know if I am at a "healthy weight"? According to my "smart scale" my skeletal muscle is "low" even though I exercise 2-3 times a week and get 10K steps most days.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 9:51 am
I've heard that being in the "overweight" BMI range is really just as healthy as being in the "healthy" range.

Walking doesn't build much muscle even though it's good for you. If you want to build muscle/strength you need anaroebic exercise. You can join a gym and get a personal trainor if you have time & money, but for me personally I've seen huge benefits (not weight loss, but visible muscle and more strength) just doing a 15 minute workout every other day. My workout is 2 kinds of pushups, squats, sit ups, and leg lifts.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 9:54 am
IMO:

If you suffer foot pain, knee pain, or back pain, it MAY be helped by losing more weight. Or if you do not like how your body looks, it is legitimate to try to lose more weight.

But if you don't have pains and are happy with how you look, there's no reason to lose weight just because your BMI is 25 - 27.

miami85

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:49 pm
amother Gold wrote:
I've heard that being in the "overweight" BMI range is really just as healthy as being in the "healthy" range.

Walking doesn't build much muscle even though it's good for you. If you want to build muscle/strength you need anaroebic exercise. You can join a gym and get a personal trainor if you have time & money, but for me personally I've seen huge benefits (not weight loss, but visible muscle and more strength) just doing a 15 minute workout every other day. My workout is 2 kinds of pushups, squats, sit ups, and leg lifts.

I do 2-3 exercise classes per week, one is cardio, one is low-intensity and the 3rd I don't always get to but it is strength training. I like the class but it doesn't always work with my family's schedule.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 1:08 pm
The BMI is not a magic number. There are many things it does not take into account. If I was in the healthy weigh on the BMI chart I would emaciated. I am thin when I'm in the overweight category. Healthy is about healthy habits and blood work not a number on the scale. . Sounds like you have the habits in check.
Now if you want to lose what they call " vanity pounds" ie weightloss for a look and not health thats another story. The looks number is always less than the health number.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 1:15 pm
I think your body is telling you it found it's happy place. It must not be good math. Surprised
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise