Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Single mom: Help me find a tefillin bag

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:08 pm
My son will have his bar mitzva soon and I am looking for a tefillin bag that is nice, inexpensive and up to date

I feel kinda lost in this process

Anyone have links of tefillin bag that could fit this description?

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:08 pm
Do you live near a seforim store? Generally most have a catalog and you can order straight from them.

amother
RosePink

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:12 pm
I recently bought a gorgeous tefillin bag from the “judaica leathers” website.
I am on a budget so I priced out a few places and they were the best price for what I was looking for …

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:18 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
I recently bought a gorgeous tefillin bag from the “judaica leathers” website.
I am on a budget so I priced out a few places and they were the best price for what I was looking for …

Saw them online, they do look beautiful
Was hoping to find something less expensive, but maybe it’s not realistic?
Everything was above $120

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:19 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
Do you live near a seforim store? Generally most have a catalog and you can order straight from them.

I love out of town and they didn’t have anything up to date

amother
DarkGreen

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:27 pm
Just got my son one from mefoar . $100 but it's velvet. Leather was way more expensive

amother
Fern

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:29 pm
You can probably find on Ali express though I don't have links.
I bought dh a nice leather one a few years ago, I think it was $45. I imagine they will personalize with a name for additional cost.

theoneandonly

You can check out https://keterjudaica.com/tefillin-bags
It looks like their website list isn't complete and is only showing their expensive leather ones. They should have cheaper ones (not necessarily leather but still nice). See if you can contact them for their full price list and ask if they will ship to you.
Good luck!

amother
Whitesmoke

A bunch of options on Ali

https://www.aliexpress.us/item.....Adapt

You can start a thread here asking for feedback but I know I've seen somewhere that people had ordered it

theoneandonly

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:33 pm
Also, can DS ask a classmate where they got theirs? That's what we did before our first bar mitzvah when we were very lost.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:36 pm
Please take my words to heart.
My husband is a rebbi.
One day, his student came to school without tefillin.
The next day he came to school without tefillin.
After a few days, the mother told the Menahel that her son refused to come to school because he did not have a leather tefillin bag like his friends.
The family is on a very tight budget.
Before the menahel had a chance to offer to pay for the “right kind of bag”, she told him that they had already ordered a new bag and that they were not going to repeat the mistake with their next son who was soon to be BM. They stretched their budget (by a LOT of money) so their children would have pride in their tefillin.
I guarantee you, these kids are NOT spoiled. This is a beautiful family with priorities.
But they underestimated the need for their child to fit in.
I would really make sure your son is happy with the bag you are getting.
(I have a few nephews who recently had BM and they are perfectly happy with velvet bags. Some kids are. Just be careful not to skimp on this part. It’s not worth it.)

mushkamothers

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
Saw them online, they do look beautiful
Was hoping to find something less expensive, but maybe it’s not realistic?
Everything was above $120

Prestige embroidery looks like 115 for a basic leather embroidered one

https://prestigeembroidery.com.....-bags

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 9:42 pm
theoneandonly wrote:
You can check out https://keterjudaica.com/tefillin-bags
It looks like their website list isn't complete and is only showing their expensive leather ones. They should have cheaper ones (not necessarily leather but still nice). See if you can contact them for their full price list and ask if they will ship to you.
Good luck!

My recent experience is that keter is significantly more expensive than malchus or mefoar.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 10:02 pm
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
Please take my words to heart.
My husband is a rebbi.
One day, his student came to school without tefillin.
The next day he came to school without tefillin.
After a few days, the mother told the Menahel that her son refused to come to school because he did not have a leather tefillin bag like his friends.
The family is on a very tight budget.
Before the menahel had a chance to offer to pay for the “right kind of bag”, she told him that they had already ordered a new bag and that they were not going to repeat the mistake with their next son who was soon to be BM. They stretched their budget (by a LOT of money) so their children would have pride in their tefillin.
I guarantee you, these kids are NOT spoiled. This is a beautiful family with priorities.
But they underestimated the need for their child to fit in.
I would really make sure your son is happy with the bag you are getting.
(I have a few nephews who recently had BM and they are perfectly happy with velvet bags. Some kids are. Just be careful not to skimp on this part. It’s not worth it.)

I agree with this 100% . I'm the one who got my son the velvet bag and only because he was perfectly happy with it. . if his friends all got leather and he'd be embarressed to have velvet, would have gotten him what he needs to be comfortable.

theoneandonly

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 10:39 pm
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
My recent experience is that keter is significantly more expensive than malchus or mefoar.

Oh really? I only mentioned them because I thought that's where we bought for DS recently. I just confirmed though that we actually got from a store with no website so I can't link it. Feel free to ignore my suggestion, OP!

tree of life

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 10:52 pm
Hi please reach out to any of the single mum organisation if u are struggling to buy tefillin bags then maybe you need help with the seuda or clothing for the family don't be shy to ask for help
Just last week a got a message from someone from the community also a single mum
She posted she's making a barmitza and could anyone help
She posted what she needed and the price
Chose something from my budget
Wishing you mazal tov people want to be part of a simcha so don't be shy to ask

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 7:12 am
OP, have you asked your son what he has in mind? Velvet, leather, fur? If velvet, does he have an idea what design he wants on it? You can go to malchut's website, mefoar and others (google tefillin bag) and go through their selection with your son, and see which he prefers. That's what we do with our kids.

workout geek

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 7:32 am
Look at Prestige Embroidery. Have a wide price range but nothing super cheap although competitive and great quality.

SYA

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 7:50 am
Very happy with my boys’ prestige embroidery bags.
Check out their website. They have a wide range of pricing. They have more than 4 collections.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics