Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How to make my child not terrified of strangers????

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 3:05 pm
I have a 15 month old baby with special needs, she is in urgent need of various therapys but is so scared of people that she resists everything and no one wants to work with her. in her daycare as well as private.
I am in urgent need of advice how to make her not scared and happier I have to hold her all day...
The special needs has nothing to do with her being scared of strangers...

amother
Peachpuff

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 3:39 pm
Ot will help with transition issues like this...

With ds, slow exposure worked. Therapist came in sat in corner quietly for several days no interaction then bit more each day ...put down toys and let her touch it without therapist giving her attention

You also want to look in if there's attachment issues and see what could be done there

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 4:42 pm
For my baby, the PT demonstrates with an almost life size doll, and then guides me from a distance while I do it with my baby.

Aside from that, we are trying to just generally socialize her. Go visit people, I stay with her. Go to public places with light crowds. Ride public transportation. Lather rinse repeat. It seems to be improving slightly, but it is taking time, but at least it is getting better.

oneofakind

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 7:17 pm
Of course it has what to do with the special needs - either because they've had more unpleasant experiences with strangers or because they don't process things the same way as other children. Anxiety goes hand in hand with any disability.
Exposing her to positive experiences with strangers could help.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 2:14 am
Thank you so much.
I would love to get the therapist to just play and sit with her but private costs a fortune and I dont think the therapist in the daycare would agree.
when I say it has nothing to do with the special needs im saying that its not a regular thing for children with this to be afraid of people.
It's not only the therapists if a cousin or someone she does not know takes she yells.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 2:42 am
Most babies go through a natural "stranger danger" age, somewhere around a year old. In a normative child, it lasts a few months. The key to resolving it is... Holding your child, and not passing her off to people she feels uncomfortable with. Reaffirm her decision that you're her parent, and she'll eventually relax.

Success10

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 2:49 am
How do you feel about the strangers in the room? My first baby was very afraid of all strangers and even regular babysitters. She was only a few months, too young for stranger anxiety. We couldn't go out for shabbos meals, stores....It took me time, but I realized she was feeding off my own nervous vibes in new situations.

teachkids

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 3:40 am
A good therapist, especially one who regularly does early intervention , should know how to get through to a child of that age. With my daughter we did the first 2 sessions from the safety of my lap (or her daycare teacher she trusted) and eventually she was willing to work with the therapist alone

tweety1

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 7:16 am
amother Peachpuff wrote:

With ds, slow exposure worked. Therapist came in sat in corner quietly for several days no interaction then bit more each day ...put down toys and let her touch it without therapist giving her attention

You also want to look in if there's attachment issues and see what could be done there

I think they call desensitizing. I had a kid that was like this. We had DC evaluated but wasn't approved. At the evaluation we were told this is what the process is called.

Bleemee

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 7:18 am
amother Peachpuff wrote:

How does someone check for attachment issues in a baby?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics