Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Are you going away mid winter vacation?
1  2  3  4  Next

Are you going away mid winter vacation?
Yes even though we can't afford it  
 2%  [ 6 ]
Yes and can afford it  
 19%  [ 46 ]
No can't afford it  
 27%  [ 67 ]
No can't take off work/kids have different schedules  
 32%  [ 78 ]
Other  
 18%  [ 44 ]
Total Votes : 241

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 5:01 pm
See poll

amother
White

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 5:10 pm
Kids have different schedules. IY"H will send older on a flight to family and take off work to spend time with younger.

Genius

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 5:12 pm
Just no is not an option?

amother
Stoneblue

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 5:13 pm
I voted other. We are going away, but we are going to see our parents and grandparents and we are driving many hours to multiple places to do so. Besides gas, the biggest expense will probably be taking a hotel for a night or two mostly due to the logistics of having BH 3 different groups of people to see in 3 different states a significant distance away from one another.

I'm currently a SAHM and DH can work remotely to a degree. That's the only reason that we can do it. The years that I was working we didn't do anything.

amother
Mocha

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 5:21 pm
No. I work and can't take off.

amother
Cognac

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 5:25 pm
We're taking our 5 kids to Universal Studios Harry Potter world for the first time and then on to Miami for Shabbos. We're so excited! We rented an adorable looking Airbnb with a fabulous private pool. Thank God, we can afford to take a vacation. There are other luxurious we choose to forgo (no cleaning help, very basic clothes and food), but we love and prioritize traveling and having joyful experiences with our kids.

amother
Banana

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 5:28 pm
Not all my kids have the same winter break schedule, so DH staying home to work with some kids in school, while I take others to visit family. Not too expensive since staying with family (except for flights).

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 5:29 pm
Genius wrote:
Just no is not an option?

This. Just no.
No explanations as if it's a must to go away & we need an valid reason why we're not going away.
I voted other.

amother
Jasmine

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 5:36 pm
Other
We don’t have midwinter vacation. And thank god seeing all this pressure.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 5:59 pm
amother Dandelion wrote:
This. Just no.
No explanations as if it's a must to go away & we need an valid reason why we're not going away.
I voted other.

Same

amother
Burntblack

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:33 pm
I voted no, we can't afford it, but also dh can't just take off from work, and I have kids in different schools with different vacations.

amother
Mimosa

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:43 pm
We're going away for one night. About 2 hour drive. Kids are under 10 and the summer is always busy with dh job so this is our one time a year that we take a fun trip. No major destination. We take a hotel with pool so that's a big treat and do a local attraction.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:44 pm
I voted other. We are two working parents with one toddler. We went away for Chanukah because my husband and I had vacation days to use up Smile

amother
Thistle

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:47 pm
Wish we. Oils but no one’s schedules align . Mesivta boys doesn’t have off at all. Elementary boys have off Thursday afternoon and Sunday and girls and preschoolers have off Friday and Monday and I have off the week before !

Seems like family time isn’t valued around here. Just a bunch of days with everyone complaining that either they do t have off or they do but they can t go away because the others don’t .

Either the school should coordinate schedules or not give off at all

amother
Tulip

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 6:54 pm
Other

We r having a simcha iyh, so we r home.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 7:03 pm
I'm the only one who chose option 1.
But I'm not paying for the vacation. In laws are paying for us to travel and visit them.

amother
Holly

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 7:07 pm
amother Mimosa wrote:
We're going away for one night. About 2 hour drive. Kids are under 10 and the summer is always busy with dh job so this is our one time a year that we take a fun trip. No major destination. We take a hotel with pool so that's a big treat and do a local attraction.

Same here. Just one night away using hotel points and we'll do local attractions during the day. Really looking forward!!

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 7:11 pm
No, because we don’t feel the need to. We can afford it but it’s not necessary. We don’t want to show our kids that they need to run away every chance! We’ll have nice quality time at home with some fun day trips and they’ll be thrilled.

amother
Jean

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 7:24 pm
amother Grape wrote:
No, because we don’t feel the need to. We can afford it but it’s not necessary. We don’t want to show our kids that they need to run away every chance! We’ll have nice quality time at home with some fun day trips and they’ll be thrilled.

I wish I was good with this. How do you deal with the constant fighting, mess, constant need to eat, and be entertained for a week straight? (Despite having trips planned).

We cannot go away and I am dreading, or rather DREADING the week. I'm going to go nuts. 4 kids (ka"h, I'm so grateful) at each other's throat for a week.

shev143

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 7:35 pm
Nope. My brothers and sisters are being held hostage. And are fighting for our right to survive and exist. I would only go if I could go and spend my money in Israel. Since that isn't feasible we stay home
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics