Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Are you going away mid winter vacation?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Are you going away mid winter vacation?
Yes even though we can't afford it  
 2%  [ 6 ]
Yes and can afford it  
 19%  [ 46 ]
No can't afford it  
 27%  [ 67 ]
No can't take off work/kids have different schedules  
 32%  [ 78 ]
Other  
 18%  [ 44 ]
Total Votes : 241

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 7:38 pm
This is only the second year that all my kids schools actually coordinate except for one who has a couple less days than the other ones. I was actually not planning on going away but I realize it's the last time I can fly before I iyh have a baby. I decided to go away... But it's honestly really not costing me money. I booked tickets on points and I'm staying in a family-owned house. Only expense was car rental which was $150.

Eta: going with family

amother
Hosta

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 7:39 pm
other.
no, we are traveling to a bar mitzvah the shabbos after vacation so we're spending vacation at home Smile

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 7:44 pm
Yes we can afford it BH. We are going to visit a great-grandparent. More like. a family trip than a vacation.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 7:46 pm
We are going to visit family. Some family members are elderly and can't travel to us. Flights are mostly points and we're staying with family.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 7:53 pm
Regarding working and not being able to take off days, if your kids are on vacation and too young to stay home alone you have to take off anyway. That’s why many families do take vacation for midwinter.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 8:08 pm
amother Coral wrote:
Regarding working and not being able to take off days, if your kids are on vacation and too young to stay home alone you have to take off anyway. That’s why many families do take vacation for midwinter.

So 1 parent takes off, instead of both.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 8:21 pm
Plain No. It's just not something we do. Why is it the default to go away just because kids have off of school? It's not our lifestyle to go vacationing.

amother
Mimosa

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 8:23 pm
I'm very thankful that my kids only have 2 days off, not a week or even a long weekend. It gives the feeling of vacation from school without the pressure of actually going on vacation.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 8:25 pm
We had a wedding in Florida on Chanukah, so we probably aren’t going away.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 8:29 pm
amother Jasmine wrote:
Other
We don’t have midwinter vacation. And thank god seeing all this pressure.

Many families in all of my kid’s schools go away, many of our friends go away, but I don’t feel pressure to go. I know for myself that I need to get away in the winter and in the summer, but that’s my own thing not a pressure from others. I feel no pressure to go away just because others are.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 8:29 pm
I voted no because we can't afford it. But the truth is, if our schedules allowed for it and everyone including dh had off at the same time, we would probably go somewhere to visit family.

If that wasn't an option, we would stay home. We don't believe in running away from home every time the kids have off. Once a year we try to do something like camping as a family because it creates great memories, usually in the summertime. Winter break isn't great for camping, so we find other ways to make it fun. It has gotten harder as the older kids have become teens and we still have little ones. It takes creativity, but if I keep my older kids mainly in mind while making sure that it's doable for the younger kids, we're usually okay...Even just a trip to the local Judaica store can count as "something to do," and my kids of all ages enjoy it.

amother
Jean

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 8:30 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
Plain No. It's just not something we do. Why is it the default to go away just because kids have off of school? It's not our lifestyle to go vacationing.

What do you do then to keep the kids busy?

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 8:31 pm
amother Seafoam wrote:
I'm the only one who chose option 1.
But I'm not paying for the vacation. In laws are paying for us to travel and visit them.

I hate that you feel the need to justify or qualify. You are going away. Good, enjoy! The rest is no one’s business.

amother
Garnet

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 8:52 pm

amother
Birch

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 8:53 pm
Yes, to a family simcha, using credit card points.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 8:56 pm
Too hard to go away with my autistic toddler, so my husband is going to take the older kids skiing while I stay home.

amother
Daisy

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 8:56 pm
We generally go to visit family for one shabbos. My husband tries to get himself sent to one of the more distant but drivable ones "on business", and the rest of us tag along, otherwise we go to the ones an hour away.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 9:20 pm
Yes. Bh, we're going somewhere exotic and warm as a family.

amother
Holly

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 9:20 pm
amother Grape wrote:
No, because we don’t feel the need to. We can afford it but it’s not necessary. We don’t want to show our kids that they need to run away every chance! We’ll have nice quality time at home with some fun day trips and they’ll be thrilled.

I dunno, we don't "run away at every chance." We go away twice a year-2 days for mid-winter vacation, and about 5-6 days at the end of the summer.

We drive (no flights), use points for hotels, and do museums and local attractions , nothing extravagant. No eating out in restaurants.

It builds such wonderful memories and it's really beneficial for us as a family to get away from all the just hustle and bustle and stress for a little bit

amother
Azalea

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 10:00 pm
Yes Bh. family travel is something we’ve always prioritized even while we forgo lots of things that others consider necessities. we are doing a driving trip and I’m really looking forward ro a fun and relaxed week. it’s a lot of work and even with using points etc it still adds up BUT it’s important to my husband and I. and also given that the yomim tovin were on weekends I haven’t taken vacation since late summer and I NEED it (work FT with generous PTO) to avoid burnout
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics