Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
I’m going back to school ….

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 9:47 pm
Not sure the right thread to put this on…
I just decided I want to go to college and get a degree & a masters. I make ok money now not nearly enough to really contribute which I would like to do. I am so stressed about how I will do this! I wish I did this years ago but I couldn’t see clearly then. Now I can and I want to further my education. I am not a school person. I hate studying. I hate everything about school and I want to cry. But I have to do this for my family. I also kind of want to. But for the end result not for the time I’m in school. I know it will be worth it down the road when I am making nice money. Any other moms go back to school? How did u do it? Any tips? I hate studying but want to do well. If I fail a test I’m miserable and sad and dissapointed in myself for not studying harder. I am already dreading all the studying I will have to do… but I signed myself up and there is no backing out now

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 9:48 pm
Just wanted to wish you luck!

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 9:53 pm
Hi, I am currently getting my masters with a toddler / pregnant and working. I hated school and I never did well either. I find college to be very different from school in a good way also if you go into a field that interests you it is very enjoyable!!! Good luck!!!

hodeez

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 9:54 pm
Yes it's sad and miserable and taxing and seemingly impossible, but if you work hard there is a payoff at the end iyh!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 9:56 pm
amother Ruby wrote:
Hi, I am currently getting my masters with a toddler / pregnant and working. I hated school and I never did well either. I find college to be very different from school in a good way also if you go into a field that interests you it is very enjoyable!!! Good luck!!!

I feel like masters is different bc that’s focused on career -college ( ba) is stupid ; math, science

justforfun87

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 10:39 pm
Do you have a specific path in mind? Degrees can be useless unless you are going for a specific career.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 10:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
I feel like masters is different bc that’s focused on career -college ( ba) is stupid ; math, science

Figure out what masters you want and work backwards. For example I went to a very good in person college with a degree from TTi so my ba was cobbled together from my seminary credits, clep and coopersmith tests and then I took GED and went straight for my masters. I didn't waste time on the ba part

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 10:45 pm
I’m doing ba through one of the Jewish programs so it’s easy ish I’m really not good at test taking and I’m not smart so it’s not going to be easy for me.. my friends who do it all cheat and say that’s what everyone does…ma

worknights1313

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 11:21 pm
You can do it, but try to take only a few classes a semester. Don’t set yourself up for failure. I went back to school with many kids. It was tough, but I was not going to quit. Take it one step at a time. You may find you are a much better student now, because it will mean more to you (especially if it’s a subject you enjoy). You signed up, now do it. It does take a few weeks to settle into schoolwork and assignments again—so expect this.

Tips: get organized. Set reminders. Study while doing laundry, etc. find quiet time for yourself. Give yourself rewards if you keep up with your schedule. Do a lot of positive self-talk. Find a study partner if that will help. Don’t sweat the small stuff. If your house is usually very organized, let go a little.

Princess23

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 12:49 am
amother OP wrote:
Not sure the right thread to put this on…
I just decided I want to go to college and get a degree & a masters. I make ok money now not nearly enough to really contribute which I would like to do. I am so stressed about how I will do this! I wish I did this years ago but I couldn’t see clearly then. Now I can and I want to further my education. I am not a school person. I hate studying. I hate everything about school and I want to cry. But I have to do this for my family. I also kind of want to. But for the end result not for the time I’m in school. I know it will be worth it down the road when I am making nice money. Any other moms go back to school? How did u do it? Any tips? I hate studying but want to do well. If I fail a test I’m miserable and sad and dissapointed in myself for not studying harder. I am already dreading all the studying I will have to do… but I signed myself up and there is no backing out now

It’ll be very hard. You may need to take a break shortly after giving birth. But if you put your mind into it and even if you take a break from having kids until you’re done so you can focus and you can complete it. It doesn’t have to be a long break. It can just be a year and a half gap between both kids or 2 years.

amother Forestgreen wrote:
Figure out what masters you want and work backwards. For example I went to a very good in person college with a degree from TTi so my ba was cobbled together from my seminary credits, clep and coopersmith tests and then I took GED and went straight for my masters. I didn't waste time on the ba part

Why did you take the ged subsequently? Normally you take it prior to college instead of a high school diploma.

amother OP wrote:
I’m doing ba through one of the Jewish programs so it’s easy ish I’m really not good at test taking and I’m not smart so it’s not going to be easy for me.. my friends who do it all cheat and say that’s what everyone does…ma

I wonder what college lets them get away with cheating? Normally theirs serious repercussions for cheating and they put a lot of effort into stop cheating.

amother
Oleander

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 11:29 am
Hatzlacha OP!

My advise is to make sure whatever you are getting a degree in is really worthwhile and has a high earning potential with room for growth

Some of the helping fields like certain therapies are NOT worthwhile

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 11:30 am
amother Forestgreen wrote:

Which school did you go to? I live in Brooklyn. I have a HS diploma but working on my BA same way.

Cheiny

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 11:35 am
amother OP wrote:

That’s horrible. How will they have any self respect knowing they didn’t earn their degree not to mention how dishonest that is?

And no, it’s not what “everyone does.”

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 11:37 am
amother OP wrote:

It’s not what everyone does. I’m doing my Ba credit by credit on my own. (I’m not even sure how I’d cheat?)

amother
Red

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 11:47 am
amother OP wrote:

Hi op can I ask what Jewish program you’re doing ? I’m interested in starting working towards a degree but I’m not from the USA and I feel really out of my depth.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 11:57 am
amother Oleander wrote:
Hatzlacha OP!

My advise is to make sure whatever you are getting a degree in is really worthwhile and has a high earning potential with room for growth

I wish someone told me this when I was starting out.
I'm almost done OT school and the career doesn't sound as promising anymore. But I can't quit now. I'm so close to the finish line and lots of student debt... Of course I love what I do but I definitely thought we make more.

Cheiny

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 12:04 pm
amother Blush wrote:
It’s not what everyone does. I’m doing my Ba credit by credit on my own. (I’m not even sure how I’d cheat?)

I’m hearing that with AI now, people are having their papers done that way but the colleges have been warning students that it will get them kicked out. Also if they don’t properly cite their sources clearly and it appears they’re trying to claim whole paragraphs as their own, which were taken from somewhere else, they’ll be failed and thrown out as well. I guess only Ms. Gay of Harvard is permitted to plagiarize….

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 12:52 pm
amother Oleander wrote:
Hatzlacha OP!

Ex of which therapies don’t make money?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics