Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Favorite kitchen garbage can?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 8:46 am
My current one broke. And it had so many crevices that would get dirty and collect little pieces of garbage always. Looking for something very very easy to clean that doesn't have crevices. (Also the cheaper the better). Links would be great

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 11:01 am
Bump

Amarante

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 11:33 am
Simple Human have great cans. They ski have all kinds of great household stuff.

https://www.simplehuman.com/

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 11:36 am
Amarante wrote:
Simple Human have great cans. They ski have all kinds of great household stuff.

Wow that is a lot of money for a garbage can. And also I can't really tell, but from the pictures they seem to have a lot of crevices for garbage to get stuck. Do you have a specific one you like?

Amarante

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 11:41 am
amother OP wrote:
Wow that is a lot of money for a garbage can. And also I can't really tell, but from the pictures they seem to have a lot of crevices for garbage to get stuck. Do you have a specific one you like?

I had a very basic model and cleaning wasn’t a problem as I used liners.

They are practically indestructible as I used mine for a long time and then when I remodeled I had pullout ones installed and I gave away my freestanding one.

I have their mirror which is great because it lights up when it senses yiur face is near. Very Happy

mha3484

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 11:47 am
I like simple human and I also have two Kohler cans that I got on amazon for less by buying like new or used.

I like that the liner comes out because I find that being able to shlep the liner around while I clean up is so much easier then holding a garbage bag or pushing the heavy can around the room.

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 11:49 am
Can you explain this liner to me? I have a simple human can and don’t know what you mean.
Mine is gross I just asked my cleaning lady to clean it 🙈

mha3484

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 11:50 am
My cans have a plastic inner can that goes in the larger can. Its called a liner.

amother
Zinnia

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 11:54 am
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bet.....63964

I don't love love love but it does the trick, if you're looking for a more affordable option.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 11:57 am
mha3484 wrote:
My cans have a plastic inner can that goes in the larger can. Its called a liner.

Even so, the area around that can have crevices that get garbage. Or the bottom.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 11:58 am
mha3484 wrote:
I like simple human and I also have two Kohler cans that I got on amazon for less by buying like new or used.

I like that the liner comes out because I find that being able to shlep the liner around while I clean up is so much easier then holding a garbage bag or pushing the heavy can around the room.

I used to have a Kohler. It used to get really yucky, stuff would fall down in the crevices.

Now I have a simple Rubbermaid and it has a lift option and under there some crevices that get gross.

Ema of 5

amother OP wrote:
My current one broke. And it had so many crevices that would get dirty and collect little pieces of garbage always. Looking for something very very easy to clean that doesn't have crevices. (Also the cheaper the better). Links would be great

I have a Rubbermaid 19gal garbage can. No crevices, step-on pedal to open, and the lid can lock in the open position. It’s great, because my baby can’t open it. I don’t remember where I got it though….for sure online, but evidently not instacart or Amazon. If I find the link for it I’ll send it.
Edit: found a link

Rubbermaid Premier High-Capacity Step-On Trash Can, 19 Gallon, Charcoal, Stainless-Steel Rim, Lid Lock, Quiet Lid, for Home/Kitchen/Common Space https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CF.....ss_tl

I have it in black. Looks like I got it from Amazon after all!

Last edited by Ema of 5 on Mon, Jan 15 2024, 12:01 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Hyssop

I stay away from liners, sensors, compressors or anything else that supposed to enhance your trash can.

The simple, smooth plastic, rectangular, not too narrow opening, light colored cans are the best imo. I like on with a lid that goes OVER the edges rather than INSIDE.

I can dunk them in the bathtub and there are no surprise hiding places.

I bought in a local houseware store.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 12:02 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
I have a Rubbermaid 19gal garbage can. No crevices, step-on pedal to open, and the lid can lock in the open position. It’s great, because my baby can’t open it. I don’t remember where I got it though….for sure online, but evidently not instacart or Amazon. If I find the link for it I’ll send it.
Edit: found a link

Rubbermaid Premier High-Capacity Step-On Trash Can, 19 Gallon, Charcoal, Stainless-Steel Rim, Lid Lock, Quiet Lid, for Home/Kitchen/Common Space https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CF.....ss_tl

I have it in black

That's the one I have.
. It gets filthy. So much garbage gets stuck in the crevices under the first layer (when you step to open there is another layer where the bag goes) at that layer there are open areas that get so yucky

And now it broke also

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 12:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
That's the one I have.
. It gets filthy. So much garbage gets stuck in the crevices under the first layer (when you step to open there is another layer where the bag goes) at that layer there are open areas that get so yucky

And now it broke also

Oh :-( I use 13 gallon bags that cover down the front of the garbage can. I don’t have garbage getting stuck in the back….

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 12:35 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Oh :-( I use 13 gallon bags that cover down the front of the garbage can. I don’t have garbage getting stuck in the back….

So do I. I use Costco bags. But there is an area where the bag does not attach to that gets filthy. Not sure what you are doing differently that it doesn't happen

Tzivia18

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 12:49 pm
Just get a cheap and cheerful one from Target or Walmart. They get the job done and are easy to keep clean.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 1:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
So do I. I use Costco bags. But there is an area where the bag does not attach to that gets filthy. Not sure what you are doing differently that it doesn't happen

I don’t think I’m really doing anything, I just make sure the garbage goes in. But I can totally see how it could get dirty.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 1:04 pm
Tzivia18 wrote:
Just get a cheap and cheerful one from Target or Walmart. They get the job done and are easy to keep clean.

Can you send a link?

Amarante

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 1:06 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:

I am not understanding the issue.

I line my trash bin with plastic bags that go securely over the rim and a bit more.

There are no "crevices to get particularly dirty.

But like everything in a home - especially kitchens and bathrooms - things do need to be cleaned occasionally

Sometimes something would splash on the exterior and I would spray and wipe it down.

The foot pedal when I had a can that sat in the kitchen would become dirty and so occasionally it would need to be sprayed and wiped off depending on how fastidious I felt about the food pedal.

But the interior of the can never became dirty nor did the rim.

I don't even know where these "crevices" are?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry