Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Jobs for Men

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 8:57 pm
My husband has been out of a job for 4 months already. Any job he interviews by it’s given to a women. Don’t companies won’t someone who won’t be going out on maternity leave or out because of their kids being sick/off?

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 9:00 pm
Is he in Lakewood? Most office jobs are given to women there. Other fields work better for men.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 9:03 pm
Yes!!!

amother
Aster

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 12:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes!!!

Yes we are having the same issue. Everyone just wants to hire women or men with lots of experience. But how can he get experience if he won’t get hired in the first place. It’s very frustrating

amother
Lightgray

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 12:03 pm
My husband too had the same issue.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 12:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
My husband has been out of a job for 4 months already. Any job he interviews by it’s given to a women. Don’t companies won’t someone who won’t be going out on maternity leave or out because of their kids being sick/off?

I think they assume that men will quicker want more money. Women, even if they get paid well get slower raises I think.

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 12:04 pm
thats so weird to me.. maybe they prefer women because they pay them less?? I would imagine a man that can work full time would be more valuable.

OP if you're in lakewood there are great recruiting companies.. IZN, candibots, placemint (spelled intentionally)

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 12:07 pm
So interesting. I know so many men and women doing the same job roles. Offices here are more mixed I guess and everyone has to start somewhere.

amother
Charcoal

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 12:27 pm
Maybe he'll have better luck if he looks for a job outside of Lakewood. Many men travel for work.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 12:31 pm
Also, I don't know what kind of experience he has, but it may be worthwhile to work with a career counselor or job agency to find a profession that really suits him. It gives a man more protection and a better income trajectory to have a real career that you can find a niche in.

I have seen some men, really desperate for a job, get taken advantage of by bosses who know they wont quit because they need the money so badly. Becoming a professional at something protects you from that.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 12:38 pm
Maybe because of the office environment?
Are all the other employees female?

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 6:04 pm
Same situation here. Lakewood men cannot find a job in a regular office. They only want women and only will pay 30k.

What do men not in real estate, nursing homes or business do?

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 6:14 pm
amother cornflower wrote:
Same situation here. Lakewood men cannot find a job in a regular office. They only want women and only will pay 30k.

They are dead end jobs, suited for (and compensated accordingly) women who want flexible hours, frequent maternity leave/ pumping breaks, and reduced hours as their family grows. They are not jobs for men looking for full time work with growth potential to support a family.

What do the other men do? Train in something specific so they have a marketable skill. Invest in education, a course, apprentice, etc.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 6:18 pm
amother cornflower wrote:

The ones I know, are CPAs, therapists, creative fields like web design and graphics, the trades, I know a few male nurses. Some who wanted the schooling are attorneys. My friends father is a paralegal for many years and very well paid. Computer programmers. There are so many options.

amother
Phlox

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 10:10 am
30k?? that is not the norm in lakewood..

40-45K would be more standard starting salary. even for a low end office job.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics