Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
14 mo biting

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 7:19 pm
My baby is 14 months and has been biting for quite some time now, anytime he’s upset/wants a toy a different sibling is holding/I say no etc. I say no sternly when he does, sometimes hold his face, but he just giggles and bites harder. I’m at my wits end, his siblings are actually scared of him and beg me not to leave him on the floor near them

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 1:21 pm
Bump

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 1:54 pm
My DD bit. I told her that animals bite and Hashem gave her a mouth to do mitzvahs like daven and eat immune food. Does she want to wear a muzzle like a doggy and eat doggy food? (She was very verbal)

Alternatively you can tell him that if he is going to bite people he will have to wear a (Covid) mask.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 2:00 pm
It’s a common stage.

Don’t give a reaction, that’s why they keep doing it again and again.
Janet Lansbury has a blog and you can probably find something on biting, but if you can’t, she encourages to separate and say ‘I won’t let you bite’ or ‘biting hurts I can’t let you do that’ and no big reactions.

It’s not a very quick fix but it takes care of it and the kid gets the message.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 2:15 pm
amother Orchid wrote:
My DD bit. I told her that animals bite and Hashem gave her a mouth to do mitzvahs like daven and eat immune food. Does she want to wear a muzzle like a doggy and eat doggy food? (She was very verbal)

Alternatively you can tell him that if he is going to bite people he will have to wear a (Covid) mask.

14 moths is way too young to explain that to a kid

amother
Maple

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 4:35 pm
Often biting is due to teething

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 4:41 pm
amother Orchid wrote:

Really? Your child understood all this at 14 months? Not sure my 2 year old would even.
OP I think you have to just keep removing her immediately when it happens. So she'll see she can't play if she bites. But it might take a while until the stage passes.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 6:08 pm
Yeah my 14 mo is not understanding any of that, not even sure he understands “No!”. I thought it was teething when it started but it’s been months by now! I guess I need to just keep not reacting, but it makes it harder cuz the other siblings shriek (and jump up so he gets his toy or whatever he was after anyway) . Would love more ideas if anyone has
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics