Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Bar mitzvah gift- only invited to kiddush

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 3:57 am
I don’t know if they’re making a weekday event but we were only invited to the Shabbos kiddush. Is chipping $10 for a group gift enough or do I need to give separately? We are friendly.
If group gift is not enough can you suggest something appropriate?

amother
Clematis

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 4:07 am
amother OP wrote:
I don’t know if they’re making a weekday event but we were only invited to the Shabbos kiddush. Is chipping $10 for a group gift enough or do I need to give separately? We are friendly.
If group gift is not enough can you suggest something appropriate?

What is your relationship with this person?

I dont think people do group gifts plus something else, so that should suffice. But again, whats your relationship?

In my neighborhood in Lakewood even chipping into a group gift is not a given. Im invited to every kiddush in my shul. I only know about a group gift if its on my block. For people off my block I give a $15 to $20 sefer (they can return, its essentially a big gift card) if we are particularly friendly.

amother
Clematis

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 4:13 am
To elaborate on "relationship". For example, If this is a coworker's bar mitzva - if its someone who is especially helpful to you you may want to consider a more significant gesture. If its simeone you nod to in the hall this is very generous.

Re the seuda, most people I know invite very few non family members the seuda. Like one table max of literally their super close friends/neighbors.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 4:15 am
amother Clematis wrote:
To elaborate on "relationship". For example, If this is a coworker's bar mitzva - if its someone who is especially helpful to you you may want to consider a more significant gesture. If its simeone you nod to in the hall this is very generous.

Re the seuda, most people I know invite very few non family members the seuda. Like one table max of literally their super close friends/neighbors.

In my circles if there’s an event they often invite friends and neighbors for a dessert reception if not for the whole thing.

We are friendly because she lives nearby , not actual friends. (She’s nice! Just the friendship never took off)

Like we say hi and good Shabbos but not shmoozing a lot. In the summer I’ll chat with her for a few minutes while watching our kids- in the winter we say good morning and that’s it

jflower

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 6:23 am
A group gift sounds perfect to me.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 6:32 am
amother OP wrote:
In my circles if there’s an event they often invite friends and neighbors for a dessert reception if not for the whole thing.

We are friendly because she lives nearby , not actual friends. (She’s nice! Just the friendship never took off)

Like we say hi and good Shabbos but not shmoozing a lot. In the summer I’ll chat with her for a few minutes while watching our kids- in the winter we say good morning and that’s it

Based on your relationship, $10 for a group gift is perfect

amother
Marigold

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 6:35 am
I think the group gift is perfectly fine. (I’m also from Lakewood)

amother
Alyssum

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 6:35 am
A group gift sounds perfect, but by the way OP if you want to give another gift then don’t let us stop you! I’ve never seen anyone ever go “oh that’s so strange they sent us a gift”

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 6:40 am
amother Alyssum wrote:
A group gift sounds perfect, but by the way OP if you want to give another gift then don’t let us stop you! I’ve never seen anyone ever go “oh that’s so strange they sent us a gift”

I did get that reaction when I gave a gift and was only invited to a dessert reception. It wasn’t a mean comment they were very appreciative just surprised because it’s not common to give a gift unless you’re invited to the meal. It was helpful to me to learn what the norms were here because where I grew up my parents gave gifts for everything.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 5:30 am
Can someone suggest something nice to send to bar my mitzvah kiddish in Lakewood if I don't have whom to chip in with (different circles)

Thinking the 30/35 dollar range if possible

UQT

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 5:32 am
Any do the cakes from the cookie corner, a peanut chew log or miniatures from shuck are all nice options

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 5:37 am
Thanks!!
Do you if these can be delivered?

amother
Marigold

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 6:39 am
I often order a fruit platter. It can be delivered for a fee.

marvinkay

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 6:52 am
amother Brunette wrote:
Can someone suggest something nice to send to bar my mitzvah kiddish in Lakewood if I don't have whom to chip in with (different circles)

Thinking the 30/35 dollar range if possible

Confection collection has all price ranges and delivers

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 7:08 am
Siegelmans has cakes and miniatures and they deliver

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 7:27 am
amother Yellow wrote:
Siegelmans has cakes and miniatures and they deliver

Not for $30/$35 though....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries