Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Washing Tzitzis
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 8:09 am
It's it ok to wash Tzitzis in a washing machine (on delicate I assume)?

GrowingUp

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 8:26 am
I wash tzitzis all the time in the washing machine.

I fold the beged with the strings tucked inside, I put each pair in its own mesh bag, and wash on cold. Hang to dry.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 9:36 am
In a regular load? I'm wondering if it would cause long term issues

teachkids

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 9:43 am
We put the strings in the thin mesh made for that and then the whole begged in another mesh bag and wash on delexate and hang

amother
Vanilla

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 9:59 am
Yes I wash it in a regular load.
I use this so the strings stay nice and straight. (I got this from another imamother and have been using it every since). Then I hang dry.
Magen Tzitzit - Fringe Guard Laundry Protector https://a.co/d/9W46a6d

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 11:50 am
Thanks for your help!! Do you wash it on cold? Would it need to be alone in the wall or can I was other things with it too?

YounginBP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 12:19 pm
I assume you are asking about a cotton or cotton/poly? That goes in a regular white load. Usually warm/hot.

A woolen tzitzis is totally different and needs to be washed by hand.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 12:20 pm
I'm asking about woolen. If there's any way to machine wash and not ruin it

InnerPrincess

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 12:21 pm
my DH complains that when washes, his woolen tzitsis get scratchy/not as comfortable.

I guess they are disposable.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 12:29 pm
InnerPrincess wrote:
my DH complains that when washes, his woolen tzitsis get scratchy/not as comfortable.

I guess they are disposable.

Is this the only issue? Does it seem like doesn't last as long?
If it's the only issue I want to know how you wash it (my dh wears it over an undershirt)

InnerPrincess

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 12:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is this the only issue? Does it seem like doesn't last as long?
If it's the only issue I want to know how you wash it (my dh wears it over an undershirt)

Sorry, I'm not sure if it affects longevity, because I haven't done it in a while and don't remember.
I would wash it on cold.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 12:35 pm
Thank you!
Does anyone know if I can/should use the device linked above to wash it?

amother
Wandflower

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 12:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you!
Does anyone know if I can/should use the device linked above to wash it?
that device didn't work for me. The strings came out so crumpled. Unless you're up to ironing the strings. And the machine didn't wash the stains too well.

I place into a nagel vasser bowl laundry detergent and oxi clean and a little bit of murphy oil and warm water. apray oxi clean on stains. put in a few tzitzis and let it soak for about 12 hours. Then rinse it and hang to dry.
Tzitzis will need to be ironed but not the strings.

YounginBP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 1:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm asking about woolen. If there's any way to machine wash and not ruin it

No. I have heard from friends and family that they use it for months and then throw it out. Personally, I do wash it as I can't justify throwing out a $50 item every time a coffee splatters.

I wash it in cold water in a pail. Warm will make it thick and yellow.
Pretreat it with shout/oxi or whatever you usually use.
I put white bright and laundry detergent. If you have wool light or iron out at home you can add a bit of that too. White bright is a must. Dilute it in the pail with a bit of warm water and then add cold water and dunk the tzitzis. Let it soak about 20 min, longer may make the black lines run. Spill the water and add new water and let it soak 20-30 minutes more. I usually rinse it at this point squeeze/wash under running water or inserting it back in pail until it runs clear. Don't wring it. I find this part a bit labor intensive.
I then roll it in a large towel and then iron it slowly, while wet. It can sit that way for a few hours until you find time
I like ironing it wet, but it is not a must. Some companies actually iron better when dry.

Good luck!

YounginBP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 1:59 pm
Link to white bright

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Out.....w_wcB

Cheiny

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 2:03 pm
amother Wandflower wrote:
that device didn't work for me. The strings came out so crumpled. Unless you're up to ironing the strings. And the machine didn't wash the stains too well.

I place into a nagel vasser bowl laundry detergent and oxi clean and a little bit of murphy oil and warm water. apray oxi clean on stains. put in a few tzitzis and let it soak for about 12 hours. Then rinse it and hang to dry.
Tzitzis will need to be ironed but not the strings.

Why Murphy oil?

amother
Dandelion

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 2:05 pm
YounginBP wrote:
No. I have heard from friends and family that they use it for months and then throw it out. Personally, I do wash it as I can't justify throwing out a $50 item every time a coffee splatters.

I wash it in cold water in a pail. Warm will make it thick and yellow.
Pretreat it with shout/oxi or whatever you usually use.
I put white bright and laundry detergent. If you have wool light or iron out at home you can add a bit of that too. White bright is a must. Dilute it in the pail with a bit of warm water and then add cold water and dunk the tzitzis. Let it soak about 20 min, longer may make the black lines run. Spill the water and add new water and let it soak 20-30 minutes more. I usually rinse it at this point squeeze/wash under running water or inserting it back in pail until it runs clear. Don't wring it. I find this part a bit labor intensive.
I then roll it in a large towel and then iron it slowly, while wet. It can sit that way for a few hours until you find time
I like ironing it wet, but it is not a must. Some companies actually iron better when dry.

Good luck!

Aside from washing being a whole schlepp, it doesn't come out bright white . Personally, I don't wash it and replace every 6 months or so. DH wears it over his shirt and doesn't wear a vest on it so it gets dirty and I don't se a point in driving myself insane over something that will never be 100% clean no matter how much you wash it.

YounginBP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 2:12 pm
amother Dandelion wrote:
Aside from washing being a whole schlepp, it doesn't come out bright white . Personally, I don't wash it and replace every 6 months or so. DH wears it over his shirt and doesn't wear a vest on it so it gets dirty and I don't se a point in driving myself insane over something that will never be 100% clean no matter how much you wash it.

I know, I always delay doing it. It is not a fun job at all. That's why I mentioned that some just throw it out. I can't justify it. I also think dh doesn't last 6 months. More like 2-3.

amother
Wandflower

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 6:29 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Why Murphy oil?
I think for the (oil) stains

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 6:47 pm
teachkids wrote:
We put the strings in the thin mesh made for that and then the whole begged in another mesh bag and wash on delicate and hang

This is my method for wool...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry