Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Washing Tzitzis
Previous  1  2

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 8:00 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:
Yes I wash it in a regular load.
I use this so the strings stay nice and straight. (I got this from another imamother and have been using it every since). Then I hang dry.
Magen Tzitzit - Fringe Guard Laundry Protector https://a.co/d/9W46a6d

I use this too. I think it might be less expensive in judaica stores.

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 8:02 pm
YounginBP wrote:
No. I have heard from friends and family that they use it for months and then throw it out. Personally, I do wash it as I can't justify throwing out a $50 item every time a coffee splatters.

I wash it in cold water in a pail. Warm will make it thick and yellow.
Pretreat it with shout/oxi or whatever you usually use.
I put white bright and laundry detergent. If you have wool light or iron out at home you can add a bit of that too. White bright is a must. Dilute it in the pail with a bit of warm water and then add cold water and dunk the tzitzis. Let it soak about 20 min, longer may make the black lines run. Spill the water and add new water and let it soak 20-30 minutes more. I usually rinse it at this point squeeze/wash under running water or inserting it back in pail until it runs clear. Don't wring it. I find this part a bit labor intensive.
I then roll it in a large towel and then iron it slowly, while wet. It can sit that way for a few hours until you find time
I like ironing it wet, but it is not a must. Some companies actually iron better when dry.

Good luck!

I hope you don’t mean that literally. Confused
Tzitzis are shaimos.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 9:59 pm
Wow thank you everyone! I'm becoming more and more grateful that DH wears his under his shirt Very Happy LOL
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry