Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Anyone else think it's gotten out of hand?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 3:04 pm
All these fundraisers left and right, people sending me links to donate to their fund, to help them reach their goal...

smss

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 3:04 pm
Yes!!!

smss

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 3:05 pm
Especially when it's someone you haven't spoken to in years...

amother
Feverfew

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 3:06 pm
yes, also if you don't support my cause, why are you asking me to support yours?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 3:08 pm
That's how fundraising works. I don't think it's out of hand. I ignore most and give to the ones I want to give to. People are able to raise a lot of money this way and it's successful. Why can't you choose what to give to and what not to give to?

amother
Obsidian

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 3:09 pm
amother Feverfew wrote:
yes, also if you don't support my cause, why are you asking me to support yours?

I agree that the sending links business is out of hand, however I disagree with not contributing to someone's cause because they didn't contribute to yours. That's very petty. Do what works for you without thinking about everyone else.

amother
Feverfew

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 3:12 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
I agree that the sending links business is out of hand, however I disagree with not contributing to someone's cause because they didn't contribute to yours. That's very petty.

I did the opposite. I sent a link to a good friend for a close relative that was struggling. she ignored it. a few months later she sent me a link for a huge organization that she collects for every year and I gave her a very generous donation. I'm not petty and I didnt think of it till this thread popped up. but yea, it feels out of hand.

justforfun87

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 3:13 pm
It's very annoying. At first it was one or two schools now it's for every single organization. The policy is if we haven't spoken in 6 months, don't send me a link.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 3:15 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:
That's how fundraising works. I don't think it's out of hand. I ignore most and give to the ones I want to give to. People are able to raise a lot of money this way and it's successful. Why can't you choose what to give to and what not to give to?

It's pretty recent that everyone raising for their kids schools etc... a few years ago, people still felt like shnorers doing that, now there no shame! And people post rude posts on their status like " I see you looking at my status, come on what are you waiting for?" or the people that what's app you, then text, then send reminders?!?

amother
Obsidian

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 3:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
It's pretty recent that everyone raising for their kids schools etc... a few years ago, people still felt like shnorers doing that, now there no shame! And people post rude posts on their status like " I see you looking at my status, come on what are you waiting for?" or the people that what's app you, then text, then send reminders?!?

Welcome to 2024 where busha in general has long flown out the window and has been replaced by chutzpah.

amother
Moonstone

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 3:59 pm
Goodness!

I warned 2 friends of mine that I will be sending them campaign requests next week, Im doing my duty but they should feel free to ignore.

You think everyone enjoys doing these fundraisers?
No one likes to schnorrer

They have to, because they are connected to these mosdos or organisations.

Most times they arent given a choice!

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 4:03 pm
If you can't or don't want to give just ignore.

amother
Celeste

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 4:05 pm
What about when it's on every single family group, and the person doesn't stop?

amother
Garnet

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 4:05 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
Welcome to 2024 where busha in general has long flown out the window and has been replaced by chutzpah.

The money I raise for my kids school is not coming off my tuition. I pay full tuition. I’m in a school where most of the parents are simple and of little means. Whatever you donate goes toward the most devoted sincere selfless rebbeim you ever met. They don’t get paid well, it’s not a fancy school.

amother
Daylily

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 4:06 pm
Also I think someone called recently from a organization which I never heard of and said “can you match last years $50”

Rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe I have terrible memory but I really never heard of it. There a a few that I know I donate to yearly.

pause

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 4:07 pm
What I think is the concept of tzedaka for aniyim has been replaced with money for organizations. Those two are not the same thing!

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 4:11 pm
Having just been involved in an unsuccessful fundraiser, I hear both sides.

Yes it can get annoying and overwhelming, but on the other side, people who are harassed give. I wish it wasn't true. The small organization I was working with did not want to harass people, and that's probably a good part of why they did not reach anywhere near their goal.

You can say no. You can give them a bracha to do well. You don't HAVE to give money.

But they are honestly just doing what works...

amother
Obsidian

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 4:12 pm
amother Garnet wrote:
The money I raise for my kids school is not coming off my tuition. I pay full tuition. I’m in a school where most of the parents are simple and of little means. Whatever you donate goes toward the most devoted sincere selfless rebbeim you ever met. They don’t get paid well, it’s not a fancy school.

You have every right to fundraise. I'm just commenting on the excessive nudging some people do. Really, I saw your link! It's my right to choose not to give and I don't need to defend myself.

amother
Brass

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 4:17 pm
My relative is in the business of these fundraisers-matching campaigns. I sometimes wonder how it feels to be in a line that people hate.
(I wonder the same about robocall companies.)

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 4:19 pm
It's 1,000% out of hand. Every other second. That's another link to another organization or school. It turned us all into shnorrors. I hate it.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette