Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Wwyd- Traveling overseas and taking kids along
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 7:03 pm
I'm confused and don't know what to do, please share what you think.

I'm having a simcha overseas and can't decide if I should take along my kids or not.
From one side I can really use a nice vacation only with my husband, some couples time.
While from the other side my kids (all under age of 10) would enjoy it very much, the vacation part and the part of meeting with family members they rarely get to see. I also don't like to divide my kids between other families while I'm going away.
Would you take or not?

amother
Dustypink

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 7:12 pm
I would not take them. The jetlag is really hard with little kids and chances are you could end up not even enjoying the simcha because you’re busy taking care of them. Do it when their teens.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 7:21 pm
I say take them. How often do they see the relatives? You and dh can always go out when they’re sleeping or visiting.

amother
cornflower

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 7:32 pm
Absolutely yes. Family simcha is for families

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 10:50 pm
Thanks, bumping for more

amother
cornflower

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 11:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks, bumping for more

Tell us more. Who’s simcha is it?how old are the kids? What’s the travel exactly?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 11:16 pm
amother cornflower wrote:
Tell us more. Who’s simcha is it?how old are the kids? What’s the travel exactly?

Husbands sibling getting married, last time my kids saw them was a year ago. 3 kids between 3 and 10. I don't know yet for how long we'll be going, it depends on if we take the kids along.
I we don't take them then it will be a week, but if we do then I want to stay for 2 weeks.
My husband and I rarely go on vacation without the kids, I feel like I would want to take them but maybe it's an opportunity for ourselves.

PS I forgot to mention- We don't have to pay for the tickets as someone is sponsoring it, so money is not an issue at all

amother
cornflower

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 11:17 pm
amother OP wrote:
Husbands sibling getting married, last time my kids saw them was a year ago. 3 kids between 3 and 10. I don't know yet for how long we'll be going, it depends on if we take the kids along.
I we don't take them then it will be a week, but if we do then I want to stay for 2 weeks.
My husband and I rarely go on vacation without the kids, I feel like I would want to take them but maybe it's an opportunity for ourselves.

PS I forgot to mention- We don't have to pay for the tickets as someone is sponsoring it, so money is not an issue at all

You didn’t say how long the flight is

Eta: I wouldn’t consider leaving my kids for 2 weeks. I’m sorry. That’s a really long time. Between that and the sponsored tickets it’s a no brainer

ynms

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 11:18 pm
Take them. Especially, that it's for a close wedding

amother
Dustypink

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 11:22 pm
amother OP wrote:

Now that you have more information, I would definitely take them! I would probably try to arrange some babysitting so I can go out with dh alone.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 11:22 pm
amother cornflower wrote:
You didn’t say how long the flight is

Eta: I wouldn’t consider leaving my kids for 2 weeks. I’m sorry. That’s a really long time. Between that and the sponsored tickets it’s a no brainer

Flight is close to 12 hours. I'm not leaving them for 2 weeks. I said if I take them along with me then I want to stay for 2 weeks, if not with them then it's a week

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 11:25 pm
Take them. It's a close family wedding. If money isn't an issue I would feel terrible for my kids to miss such a simcha. Make some time to go out alone if you want while there.

amother
Quince

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 11:32 pm
I vote take with. It will be a memorable family trip.

Sunflower11

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 11:36 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
Take them. It's a close family wedding. If money isn't an issue I would feel terrible for my kid sto miss such a simcha. Make some time to go out alone if you want while there.

I second this

amother
Crocus

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 11:44 pm
I also say take them.
In and case, when going somewhere for a Simcha, especially a wedding, it's not really a vacation in the true sense of the word. Its happy , busy , intense and exhausting. If you take your kids you will be creating amazing , lifelong memories.
I hope you get to take real vacation elsewhere soon.

amother
Petunia

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 11:50 pm
I'd take. It's a real close simcha. I thought you'd say a niece is getting married.
Also the ages of your kids work to have them there for the evening sheva b. You probably won't hire an evening sitter and at those ages, especially the 2 older ones, can sit at a meal and not wreck the place.

If you need a vaca, to a 2 night, 3 day trip driving distance or domestic flight.

amother
Charcoal

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 12:05 am
I would take them in a heart beat. I have similiar age kids, one with intense ADHD. We went on a similiar trip recently and had a blast. The trip was 10 times more fun living through my kids eyes. Its gonna be a family experience, a change of scenery but not a vacation.

snooper86

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 12:20 am
If I understand correctly it’s an Uncle/Aunts wedding then of course take them! Also if you have family nearby and going for 2 weeks can you maybe have someone babysit for a night so you and DH can go on a mini vacation? My parents did this years ago and it was so fun for us to sleep at cousins and my parents really enjoyed!!

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 12:23 am
I would for sure take them in this situation.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 1:14 am
Given the info you've shared so far, I say take them.

Who would take care of them while you're gone if you don't take them?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics