Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Difficult toddler

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 8:42 pm
My two year old is the light of my life. I truly believe she was a tremendous gift from HaShem and I’m not just saying that. Every day I feel greatful to have her.

But she’s two. She can be difficult. She has sensory integration issues and anxiety, the anxiety hasn’t been clinically diagnosed but I’m willing to put money on it turning into a full blown disorder .

She is a lot to deal with.
At the same time she is sweet and funny and strong and brilliant.

I just feel so overwhelmed.

Should add that im a full time working mom with other kids, no support, and my own mental health struggles, so things kind of compound themselves.

On one level, I am really good with the toddler stage. I’ve taught toddlers for many years.
On the other level, I feel so continually exhausted by my child

She really is just me in two year old form and it’s a lot to deal with.

amother
Crystal

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 8:48 pm
Can you start OT, or at least sensory routines at home to work on the sensory piece? My kids are way more manageable now that we turned my house into a sensory gym. If they start to lose it I tell them they need to pick x or y to help them calm down. Most of the time they recognize on their own what they need though

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 8:58 pm
Thanks for your advie!
I was told insurance won’t cover OT for her .

What is a sensory gym? Is sounds very interesting

amother
Crystal

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 9:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for your advie!
I was told insurance won’t cover OT for her .

What is a sensory gym? Is sounds very interesting

Try to get your hands on the “out of sync child” and “out of sync child has fun” books.

We have a hanging bar in the doorway between our dining room and living room, some huge body pillows the kids like to use to sit on and squish each other. A sit n spin, and wobble board. And a trampoline outside

Cookin4days

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 9:33 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
Try to get your hands on the “out of sync child” and “out of sync child has fun” books.

We have a hanging bar in the doorway between our dining room and living room, some huge body pillows the kids like to use to sit on and squish each other. A sit n spin, and wobble board. And a trampoline outside

Can you please link the wobble board and sit n spin?

amother
Celeste

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 9:41 pm
Addressing gut health will help with both sensory issues and also anxiety.

amother
Crystal

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 9:46 pm
Cookin4days wrote:
Can you please link the wobble board and sit n spin?

Wobble board- Glintoper 27.5-Inch Wooden Wobble Balance Board - Kid-Friendly Yoga and Body Training Toy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08S.....ss_tl
Sit and spin -Playskool Sit ‘n Spin Classic Spinning Activity Toy for Toddlers Ages Over 18 Months (Amazon Exclusive) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y.....ss_tl

Cookin4days

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 10:00 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
Wobble board- Glintoper 27.5-Inch Wooden Wobble Balance Board - Kid-Friendly Yoga and Body Training Toy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08S.....ss_tl
Sit and spin -Playskool Sit ‘n Spin Classic Spinning Activity Toy for Toddlers Ages Over 18 Months (Amazon Exclusive) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y.....ss_tl

Thank you!

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 8:23 pm
Hi, relate a lot to what you wrote and I will add for my daughter I am very mindful of eating nutrient dense foods, proteins fats at each meal, frequent drinks, lots of bonding time and positive reinforcement.
When she gets into challenging mode working on grounding myself and reminding myself-I’m the mom now. I’m the mom now. She may have some similarities to me but she has a different mom than I did and I can show up as her mom.

Also sensory piece is definitely helpful as explained above.

amother
Iris

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 9:36 pm
amother Cerise wrote:
Hi, relate a lot to what you wrote and I will add for my daughter I am very mindful of eating nutrient dense foods, proteins fats at each meal, frequent drinks, lots of bonding time and positive reinforcement.

I would love to focus on the food aspect for my 2yo son who is also highly sensory & challenging but he is so picky and is obsessed with cookies & lollies & cheese & pasta Banging head. I used to be more careful with his intake but then I got pregnant with HG & everything went to the wayside.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics