Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Pls help a new plus size mate

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 1:49 pm
was always skinny
extra 50+ lbs in two years
so sad and depressing to be fat and judged and not fitting and looking good...
I don't know the basics of losing weight
no experience refraining from eating. sounds impossible!!!
looking for tips like fasting hours of the day, what to eat first thing in the morning....
hate doing exercise and skip it most days. what's the minimum per day but still affective?
will jumping on trampoline with my kids do anything?
what's a better choice for lunch; yogurt and salted peanuts or salad with nish nosh crackers?
how bad is lots of potato, sour pickles and fried cutlets?! my only choice for a healthy supper !
picky eater so don't necessarily want to follow any specific diet. just trying to eat healthy with my food choices I am okay with.
any easy tips and tricks that can make a big difference?
pls help and share what works for you!

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 1:52 pm
Do you know the reason behind your weight gain? Pregnancy, thyroid, stress?

If you don't, consider getting bloodwork done.

If there are limited foods that you like, a nutritionist or dietician can work with you to figure out a plan based on your preferred foods.

(Nish nosh crackers and fried cutlets are not foods I would consider if you are trying to lose weight. Peanuts and potatoes may be ok in moderation.)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 2:00 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:

If there are limited foods that you like, a nutritionist or dietician can work with you to figure out a plan based on your preferred foods.

(Nish nosh crackers and fried cutlets are not foods I would consider if you are trying to lose weight. Peanuts and potatoes may be ok in moderation.)

not pregnant. made an appointment with endo. but if it's just stress, what does the knowledge help me?

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 2:12 pm
Trampoline with your kids is great!

Sour pickles have almost no calories so they're great for losing weight. Can you pan fry or bake the cutlets to cut the fat? That could make a huge difference. I don't know what you mean by 'lots' of potatoes. Maybe learn portion size and sub something less carb-y for the extra potato.

I think you would benefit from learning a bit about nutrition, calories, etc. You might realize that certain swaps that wouldn't bother you would make a big difference. Or, as the above poster said, a nutritionist could be a big help.

My dh told me that he dieted as a bochur and did not know that water is no calories - he thought he needed to limit it! He had a friend who was also 'watching himself' and thought orange juice was a more 'dietetic' choice, you know, because it's from a fruit! Dh also didn't realize how many calories and fat grams regular mayo added to a simple meal, while mustard has almost none, and he would have been totally fine with it.

Anonymous because lots of people have heard about my husband's dieting misconceptions. He shares them to help other guys who are trying to lose weight (to encourage them to learn about nutrition and calories so they know what they're doing), and I've told a few people because it's funny (and I know dh does not mind).

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 2:12 pm
Start by reading food labels. Look at the calories, carbs, sugar, protein, etc. Just start getting an idea of what different foods are all about.
Drink lots of water.
Any extra movement you can fit into your day is helpful.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 4:38 pm
after you see your dr to rule out what the other posters have suggested, get a nutritionist. see if your health insurance will pay for it. that's really helpful. andfind an exercise you really like! maybe zumba? swimming? pilates?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:34 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:

when you say no crackers and fried cutlets, is that permanent lifestyle change? as long as I want to lose weight ? or once I reach my goal can I go back to eating food somewhat the way I like? or will I gain everything back?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise