Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Speaking to pediatrician without child hearing

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 9:22 pm
I'm going to the pediatrician with my nine year old. He's an anxious personality and I want to speak to the doctor without him there first, but practically how do you do that? Do you go in alone first and call him in when it's time to be checked out? He might ask me why and I don't want to worry him.

amother
Mayflower

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 9:35 pm
Can you call the MD’s office the week before, tell the receptionist that you have an appointment on the ninth and that you would like to speak with the MD as you have some concerns that you would like to discuss not in the presence of DD. Ask if the MD could please call a day or 2 in advance to discuss.

amother
Clear

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 9:37 pm
You call the office before u go in and let the secretary know. Then you have the front desk call you out of the room to "verify your insurance" or something like that and then you speak to the doctor in a place your son can't hear.
I worked in pediatrics for years and this usually worked very well.

amother
Snowflake

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 9:37 pm
amother Mayflower wrote:
Can you call the MD’s office the week before, tell the receptionist that you have an appointment on the ninth and that you would like to speak with the MD as you have some concerns that you would like to discuss not in the presence of DD. Ask if the MD could please call a day or 2 in advance to discuss.

This exactly. when I want to discuss things about my kids that I don't want them to hear, I schedule a separate phone appointment with the pediatrician

amother
Pansy

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 6:28 am
I asked the doctor if we could speak privately after my daughter's appointment. We spoke quietly outside the room in the hallway.

rose613

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 6:44 am
I’ve had several private appointments with my pediatrician to discuss sensitive things regarding my kids. You just make sure the office knows ahead of time, but it’s completely normal to do that

Lkwdmom4

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 6:59 am
Another thing that worked for me was typing up a letter explaining why we were at the office, my concerns, what we had done so far, etc. and giving it to the doctor to read when we got into the room. I also explained in the letter that I didn't want any of these concerns discussed in front of the child. The doctor really appreciated it and even asked if it would be ok for him to keep the letter in the file so that he could refer to it for future appointments.

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 7:28 am
I send a message in the portal before the visit saying as such
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics