Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Can I leave crock pot on keep warm

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 11:44 am
I make chicken soup in the crock pot that we eat at sholosh seudos, I made it last night because I have crazy day today and it's already fully cooked, I don't want it to get too dark.
Is it safe to put it on keep warm at this point for 24 hours+? (will it spoil?)
when I put it on low it still cooks it a lot.

mha3484

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 11:46 am
You can only use keep warm for 2-3 hours at the most. Its not hot enough and your food will spoil.

amother
Electricblue

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 11:47 am
Food wil definitely spoil

amother
Firethorn

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 11:48 am
It depends on the device. Test it out during the week with a vegetable soup after it's been fully cooked and keep it overnight on warm and taste next day at noon. Also make sure to seal seal the cover (put crockpot liner under lid so no bubbles escape/temperature doesn't lower).

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 11:52 am
What about moving it to my hotplate?
I don't want it to cook too much more but def dont want food poisoning

tichellady

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 12:32 pm
It works for mine but each crockpot is different

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 1:19 pm
tichellady wrote:
It works for mine but each crockpot is different

I guess the only way to know for sure is to try and hope for the best (and have pepto bismol on hand)

amother
Amaranthus

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 1:29 pm
Try it during the week and check if the temperature is at least 165 for chicken and 135 for meat

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 1:32 pm
amother Amaranthus wrote:
Try it during the week and check if the temperature is at least 165 for chicken and 135 for meat

That's a good idea, I don't have a meat thermometer though

mha3484

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 1:34 pm
Honestly, if its already cooked and you let it stay warm for 20 plus hours it may not taste how you want. I would have a second option to serve in case its too strong of flavor.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 1:36 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Honestly, if its already cooked and you let it stay warm for 20 plus hours it may not taste how you want. I would have a second option to serve in case its too strong of flavor.

We have other food also but we like having chicken soup, I usually put it on low and its a very strong flavor, I prefer it less strong that is why I wanted to try keep warm, I'm not worried about not liking it I'm just worried about vomiting for the next 24 hours.

amother
Firethorn

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 2:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
We have other food also but we like having chicken soup, I usually put it on low and its a very strong flavor, I prefer it less strong that is why I wanted to try keep warm, I'm not worried about not liking it I'm just worried about vomiting for the next 24 hours.

Put plastic around the lid to make sure it's sealed especially for chicken soup I have experience.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 2:50 pm
We always use the keep warm setting on our crockpot for chulent shabbos day. We put it in basically fully cooked and it is fine and still hot at shabbos lunch.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 3:15 pm
I also often use keep warm for chulent shabbos day. I guess depends on your crock pot. you're only eating it a few hours later.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 4:24 pm
Isn't the point of keep warm to keep it warm at a safe temp? I use it for my cholent.

amother
Charcoal

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 4:30 pm
I leave my cholent on warm over shabbos. I cover it with a towel which keeps it hotter.

amother
Leaf

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 8:21 pm
I also leave my fully cooked cholent on keep warm over shabbos otherwise it burns. Is that a problem??

amother
Clear

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 10:30 pm
Keep warm is not a safe setting for so long

amother
Seashell

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 10:47 pm
amother OP wrote:

How's everyone feeling?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note