Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Poll: Save $$ Hire a Simcha photographer at half the cost
1  2  3  Next

Would you hire a wedding or Simcha photographer for half the price without editing the pictures?
Yes. I trust the photographer to take great pictures and multiples so I can choose.  
 40%  [ 47 ]
No. I want the editing.  
 54%  [ 63 ]
Other. I’ll explain below.  
 4%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 115

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 7:38 pm
Many years ago hiring a photographer would offer you more then just a flash drive with all your wedding pictures on it. Today you pay a fortune why? I know your all going to say what about the editing…

They would offer you a large print and photo album for both side of the family and a larger album for the new couple and more. Back then they used film camera no digital camera and we trusted the photographer knew what they were doing and that was it. There was very little room for bad poses.

Today the price for hiring a wedding photographer or any Simcha photographer has skyrocketed. The options that we used to take for granted that were included are now options that cost much more $$. For what?

I don’t need edited pictures just provide me with good shots and I’ll choose what I want. The way it used to be. Todays digital cameras come with spectacular software that automatically adjust for lighting and much more.

My question is in the poll.

amother
Calendula

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 7:42 pm
Part of being a photographer is editing. Just snapping on auto you can hire the kid down the block and tell them which button to press. Most photographers take shots with specific editing in mind. So no I would not do this because the pictures won’t be worth it and it will be money in the garbage. Pictures is one thing I go all out on it’s your memories forever. I’d sooner cut costs on music and food which last a short while.

amother
Mayflower

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 7:46 pm
But an edited picture is not memories.

It’s enhanced and a make believe lens of reality

amother
Clear

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 7:47 pm
At my wedding (20 years ago) the wedding photographers all edited. They were a lot cheaper than now a days but I never heard of a photographer that doesn’t edit wedding photos.
They would give you a real album (not flash drive) of low quality proofs and you would choose the ones you wanted them to edit and put into the final album.

I don’t get what the point would be. I could hire someone to take iPhone pictures for less expensive than a photographer that doesn’t edit.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 7:47 pm
amother Calendula wrote:
Part of being a photographer is editing. Just snapping on auto you can hire the kid down the block and tell them which button to press. Most photographers take shots with specific editing in mind. So no I would not do this because the pictures won’t be worth it and it will be money in the garbage. Pictures is one thing I go all out on it’s your memories forever. I’d sooner cut costs on music and food which last a short while.

I believe being a photographer is all about creativity taking great shots. The way it always was. The editing and saying these are you memories to guilt trip families in paying a fortune is rediculous. Todays cameras are unbelievable. I would not hire a kid but I would a professional photographer that takes great shots and know what he or she is doing.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 7:50 pm
amother Clear wrote:
At my wedding (20 years ago) the wedding photographers all edited. They were a lot cheaper than now a days but I never heard of a photographer that doesn’t edit wedding photos.

I don’t get what the point would be. I could hire someone to take iPhone pictures for less expensive than a photographer that doesn’t edit.

I know it’s hard to believe that photographers can take great pictures and not have them edited. That’s the point that people have lost. A great photographer is all about creativity not editing.

amother
Calendula

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 7:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
I believe being a photographer is all about creativity taking great shots. The way it always was. The editing and saying these are you memories to guilt trip families in paying a fortune is rediculous. Todays cameras are unbelievable. I would not hire a kid but I would a professional photographer that takes great shots and know what he or she is doing.

No professional is using auto. They just aren’t leaving their picture up to chance. And as good as a camara is it still guesses and doesn’t always get it right. You hire the person for their skill. If you think it’s the machine then you can hire anyone to press the button. But there is a reason you want a professional and part of that is THEIR vision and editing.

Just to clarify every picture requires editing. By that I mean basic adjustments like color, light, sharpness etc.. when you set the camera on auto the camera chooses which random editing to do. There is no such thing as no editing. You are asking for the camera random edits instead of a professionals choice of editing. No professional is going to be interested in doing that.

amother
Calendula

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 7:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
I know it’s hard to believe that photographers can take great pictures and not have them edited. That’s the point that people have lost. A great photographer is all about creativity not editing.

This is just ignorance. You know in the old days they used dark rooms to hand edit every film? Now it’s digital. But editing always existed and will always exist. When you put your camera on auto it edits too.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 7:57 pm
amother Calendula wrote:
No professional is using auto. They just aren’t leaving their picture up to chance. And as good as a camara is it still guesses and doesn’t always get it right. You hire the person for their skill. If you think it’s the machine then you can hire anyone to press the button. But there is a reason you want a professional and part of that is THEIR vision and editing.

Just to clarify every picture requires editing. By that I mean basic adjustments like color, light, sharpness etc.. when you set the camera on auto the camera chooses which random editing to do. There is no such thing as no editing. You are asking for the camera random edits instead of a professionals choice of editing. No professional is going to be interested in doing that.

Camera are getting better at adjust for lighting sharpness etc. They can use auto and just take many pictures so I can choose.

A smart professional photographer will realise that there is a market for it and will take advantage of it and do very well for themselves. As time passes people will realise how we were taken advantage of.

amother
Clear

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 7:57 pm
amother OP wrote:

A great photographer is about both.
A photographer is like a artist. Instead of painting their art is done by a camera, lighting and editing.

You can hire anyone to snap pictures especially now a days where cameras are so inexpensive and so good. And that person can use editing apps to auto edit or use presets.

A good photographer gets great shots and does a great job on edits. They don’t just use presets.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 8:02 pm
If it was reasonable priced I would not have an issue. It’s the price gauging that I find amongst most photographers that offer no more then a flash drive. $6000 for a flash drive???? It’s rediculous.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 8:02 pm
amother OP wrote:

I think that you seem to think that editing means something different than it really is. Editing doesn't really change the picture.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 8:07 pm
amother Snapdragon wrote:
I think that you seem to think that editing means something different than it really is. Editing doesn't really change the picture.

Charging me thousands of dollars for adjusting for lighting sharpness etc. Just take thousand of pictures and I’ll choose. I trust your shots and creativity and if I want you to edit any of the pictures then charge me.

amother
NeonPink

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 8:12 pm
There's editing and there's editing...

Happens to be if I could afford it I think I'd rather get the full service package.

But if I was trying to save money, I'd take the cheaper option if:

1) there would be an option to edit some (like let's say the 20 that would go in an album)

2) I was able to see a portfolio of non edited pictures so I could see what quality they would be.

Simple1

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 8:16 pm
amother Calendula wrote:

A good photographer doesn’t snap on auto. If he uses the manual settings properly s/he should be able to get good shots straight out of the camera. I don’t know enough about simcha photography to vote or chime in. But it involves a ton more pictures than a simple family shoot so I can’t see how they can sit and edit all. I’m guessing they probably do some batch editing meaning doing a bunch at once the same edit.

amother
Mint

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 8:30 pm
OP I hear you, when I make simchos I do it on a dime budget so you are trying to figure out how to save $ and have a nice simcha it's very hard but it is doable.

Why not hire a friend to be the photographer? Spend $1,000 buy a good camera give it to a good friend or a relative to take the pictures and then you will have it for all of your simchos.

Maybe take a course yourself and then you can charge others chessed prices?

Is there a way to cut the cost on something else so that you can get a good photographer?

Nobody says you need to hire a professional to do anything for a simcha. You can have someone download music and play a playlist with a good speaker system, for makeup ask a friend that is good with makeup to do it for you, for hair do the same.

try dollar tree for table cloths and center pieces or I guess you could get from a gemach.

I don't believe in over spending for a simcha either and I do everything low budget and low key and do most of the things myself.

you can design your own invitations and send them out via email/whatsapp.

Just a few ideas to help you budget.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 8:42 pm
amother Mint wrote:
OP I hear you, when I make simchos I do it on a dime budget so you are trying to figure out how to save $ and have a nice simcha it's very hard but it is doable.

Why not hire a friend to be the photographer? Spend $1,000 buy a good camera give it to a good friend or a relative to take the pictures and then you will have it for all of your simchos.

Maybe take a course yourself and then you can charge others chessed prices?

Is there a way to cut the cost on something else so that you can get a good photographer?

Nobody says you need to hire a professional to do anything for a simcha. You can have someone download music and play a playlist with a good speaker system, for makeup ask a friend that is good with makeup to do it for you, for hair do the same.

try dollar tree for table cloths and center pieces or I guess you could get from a gemach.

I don't believe in over spending for a simcha either and I do everything low budget and low key and do most of the things myself.

you can design your own invitations and send them out via email/whatsapp.

Just a few ideas to help you budget.

This is coming off as very condescending.

Im speaking of the photographer offering more for the same price or cut the price. My logic is not off. People have to wake up.

HonesttoGod

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 8:47 pm
So she’s condescending but your not?
My gosh some women on here.

Op if you just want pics with no edits hire a cheap new photographer who wants practice and ta da you’ll have what you want.
There are many many photographers out there. The better ones charge more and you get more. Just like any other industry.

amother
Mint

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 8:51 pm
amother OP wrote:

Im speaking of the photographer offering more for the same price or cut the price. My logic is not off. People have to wake up.

I am the one that posted this trying to be helpful not condescending I have helped many people make simchos on a dime budget that used my advice. Not meant to be hurtful in anyway.

People can charge what they want it's up to us if we want to pay for it. Lawyers, Surgeons, Therapists all charge what they feel is the going rate if you don't like it you don't have to "buy" it.

There are ways to make a simcha and not pay so much for a photographer. It's your choice. That's all.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 8:54 pm
amother OP wrote:

How in the world was that post condescending? I think you owe that amother an apology. She spent time writing out ways to save money on a simcha and you threw it in her face.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics