Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Is there a camp with nice girls?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 3:46 pm
My daughter went to camp last year for the first time as an 11 yr old. The camp was smallish and I thought it be an advantage to making friends. She had a miserable time. The girls were outright mean to her and it seems like to each other as well at times. They purposely made her feel left out and made fun of her. She gave me some examples and I was shocked that frum girls could act so cruel. So hard to believe that girls would act this way. My daughter is BH interesting, fun, and careful with hygiene etc. She can be somewhat shy around new people. Now, she has super low self confidence and doesn't want to go to camp at all. I would love to find a nice place for her. Not sure if there is one...? And if there is one....is there any way to get in?

amother
Carnation

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 4:26 pm
We are thrilled in menucha, friendly, simple, but it's real yeshivesh. What kind of crowd are you looking for?

mitzva

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 4:30 pm
I dont think you should send your daughter to camp unless she comes with a group of good friend who safe in the social hierarchy.
the scenario you explained can unfortunately repeat itself in another camp...
its better your daughter does not go to camp than she be subject to mean girls...

amother
Hydrangea

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 4:43 pm
My daughter went to camp bais yaakov alone and had a great time. But it's not easy to get in, especially as girls get older

amother
Nasturtium

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 4:57 pm
Sternberg is amazing everyone is accepted all kinds of girls from all different backgrounds. My daughters confidence grew so much and I attribute a huge part of it to camp.

Sternberg has such a huge mix and everyone has their own talents which really shine through! they give opportunities to grow like no other camp.

My oldest dd went to a different camp and it was a typical type of day/camp Sternberg is way better get's kids to come out of their shadows.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 5:00 pm
amother Nasturtium wrote:
Sternberg is amazing everyone is accepted all kinds of girls from all different backgrounds. My daughters confidence grew so much and I attribute a huge part of it to camp.

Sternberg has such a huge mix and everyone has their own talents which really shine through! they give opportunities to grow like no other camp.

My oldest dd went to a different camp and it was a typical type of day/camp Sternberg is way better get's kids to come out of their shadows.

Similar experience

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 5:14 pm
amother Nasturtium wrote:

This was my experience too, but as a kid back in the 90s. Glad to hear it's still like that.

I was on the more modern end of the spectrum, kind of nerdy, and not all that socially successful before that year. I went to an MO camp the summer before and was bullied all summer. It was awful. When I came back I decided I was never going to go to camp again...until my neighbor convinced me to give Sternberg a try.

Let's just say...one of my best friends my first year there was chassidish. Another was a jappy girl who had gotten a whole new wardrobe just for camp (unheard of in those days). I loved pioneering and found that I had strengths I never knew existed. And I found that I could be friends with girls who weren't "like me." Went back there for a few years and then as staff too. It was a really great place, and I'm glad to hear that it still is.

(My older kids are boys, so I don't have experience with sending a girl to sleepover camp yet, but I'd definitely look into Sternberg.)

ETA: I went to Sternberg without any good friends in my bunk. I sort of knew one or two girls, but they weren't the ones I ended up being good friends with. I can't believe I took that leap, but I'm really glad I did.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps