Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Help! Crayon melted on white shirts in dryer!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 1:58 am
Just washed a load of white shirts and put them in the dryer for 15 minutes and came back to find pink crayon melted all over the shirts!!! How do I go about getting it out?!

SuperWify

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 2:32 am
Omg I had that. Nightmare to clean the machine plus I lost most of the load.

lucky14

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 3:46 am
I doubt you can. 😕

Rabbit613

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 4:26 am
Happened to me once😪

WhatFor

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 4:47 am
Carbona stain devils makes one for ink, marker, or crayon. I don't know if it will work once they've been melted in, but their bottles are usually like 5 dollars, so I'd definitely try it before throwing the shirts away.

myname1

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 5:39 am
How frustrating and annoying!! I have no experience with this, but I Googled "clean crayon melted onto shirt":

Crayola said (I guess the company of the crayons might matter- I think Crayola make them especially "washable"):
How to remove Regular Crayons from fabric - fresh, heat-set, or melted. Scrape off as much crayon as possible. Apply liquid dish soap and work into the stained area. Let stand a few minutes, rub fabric under warm water to remove the stain.

Maytag said:
Mix a drop of liquid dish soap with a few cups of warm water in a plastic bowl or bucket and let the stained garment soak. The longer you let the crayon stain soak, the better your chances are for stain removal success. You can soak the stain for a minimum of one hour, but overnight is ideal.

tru.earth said:
Are crayon stains permanent?
Crayon stains are not permanent, and with the right techniques and a little bit of patience, you can effectively remove them from your child's clothes. In this guide, we'll explore various methods for tackling crayon stains based on the fabric type and provide you with essential tips to ensure successful stain removal.

mollymaid said:
Can you wash out melted crayon?
Apply dish soap or laundry detergent to the stain and rub it in with your fingers or an old toothbrush. Let the soap or detergent sit for 15 minutes. Then, launder the clothing with oxygen-based bleach on the heavy soil setting with the hottest water the fabric will allow.

Looks like enough people think it should wash out that it's worth a try. The ones that re-melt the crayon while washing out the stain seem like your best bet to me. Good luck!!

jflower

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 8:37 am
myname1 wrote:
How frustrating and annoying!! I have no experience with this, but I Googled "clean crayon melted onto shirt":

Crayola said (I guess the company of the crayons might matter- I think Crayola make them especially "washable"):
How to remove Regular Crayons from fabric - fresh, heat-set, or melted. Scrape off as much crayon as possible. Apply liquid dish soap and work into the stained area. Let stand a few minutes, rub fabric under warm water to remove the stain.

Maytag said:
Mix a drop of liquid dish soap with a few cups of warm water in a plastic bowl or bucket and let the stained garment soak. The longer you let the crayon stain soak, the better your chances are for stain removal success. You can soak the stain for a minimum of one hour, but overnight is ideal.

tru.earth said:
Are crayon stains permanent?
Crayon stains are not permanent, and with the right techniques and a little bit of patience, you can effectively remove them from your child's clothes. In this guide, we'll explore various methods for tackling crayon stains based on the fabric type and provide you with essential tips to ensure successful stain removal.

mollymaid said:
Can you wash out melted crayon?
Apply dish soap or laundry detergent to the stain and rub it in with your fingers or an old toothbrush. Let the soap or detergent sit for 15 minutes. Then, launder the clothing with oxygen-based bleach on the heavy soil setting with the hottest water the fabric will allow.

Looks like enough people think it should wash out that it's worth a try. The ones that re-melt the crayon while washing out the stain seem like your best bet to me. Good luck!!

Myname, you're amazing to have done all this research. Kol hakavod to you!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 7:35 pm
Thank you whatfor and myname1 for your help!
You won’t believe it but I was bh able to salvage the shirts! I am still working on 2 that have faint stains remaining. Incase anyone runs into this situation I’ll post what I did! I made a solution of one cup vinegar and about 10 tablespoons of liquid dish soap and poured it into the washing machine. Also put some boiled water directly into the machine. Used regular detergent as well and rewashed on hot cycle with pre wash. Miraculously, this took off most of the stains! For The few shirts that had remaining residue I applied that solution of vinegar and dish soap directly to the stains and also sprayed with shout. I let them soak in hot water with remainder of the solution and then washed again on hot.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry