Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Help me make a vocab list (Hebrew academic)

seeker

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 1:47 pm
Not sure how to title this category, but I want to teach a list of those words that are often necessary in order to understand the rest of the topic - if you blanked out for the 2 seconds they were explained, then you could be lost for the rest of your life. For example, if you never got what "kal vachomer" means then a whole lot of future lessons will make a lot less sense. I'll start with what I have so you see what I mean. I want to keep it to the most necessary basics because if it becomes a long list then it will be a much more daunting task to learn, but I don't want to skip anything too important either.

Kal vachomer
Mashal/nimshal
Bidieved/Lechatchila
Deoraisa/Derabanan
Machmir (chumra) and meikil
Assur/mutar
Chazal
Churban
Midrash vs Mishna

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 2:04 pm
In what context are you trying to teach this?

Kal vachomer
Mashal/nimshal
Bidieved/Lechatchila
Deoraisa/Derabanan
Assur/mutar
Chazal
Churban
Midrash vs Mishna

Some of these are concepts rather than translations.

Churban, would be translated as destruction, but is normally used in the context of the first and second Batei Mikdash. But you sometimes hear references to the holocaust as the churban of European Jewry.

Mishna is obviously a reference to the six orders of the Mishna - but needs an explanation of what that is, and it's context in Oral Law (תורה שבעל פה).
Midrash is also part of the Oral tradition, but got codified much later, and spread over a much longer period of history. The was no central redactor as there was with the Mishna.

Chazal - חכמינו זיכרונם לברכה - our wise ones of blessed memory. But again, you need the historical context.

D'Oraita means Torah law.
D'Rababan means Rabbinic law.
Again, the translation isn't much help unless you also teach the difference between them and how that is used in terms if halacha.

NechaMom

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 2:16 pm
seeker wrote:
Not sure how to title this category, but I want to teach a list of those words that are often necessary in order to understand the rest of the topic - if you blanked out for the 2 seconds they were explained, then you could be lost for the rest of your life. For example, if you never got what "kal vachomer" means then a whole lot of future lessons will make a lot less sense. I'll start with what I have so you see what I mean. I want to keep it to the most necessary basics because if it becomes a long list then it will be a much more daunting task to learn, but I don't want to skip anything too important either.

Kal vachomer
Mashal/nimshal
Bidieved/Lechatchila
Deoraisa/Derabanan
Assur/mutar
Chazal
Churban
Midrash vs Mishna

Meizid/shogeg
Nafka Mina
Bekitzer
Davka
Bderech klal

seeker

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 2:18 pm
I don't need definitions, I know what these items mean, I'm looking for ideas of what I need to target to make sure the students can follow a lesson at, say, junior high type of level. I think people take it for granted that the students understand these things, but some kids take more time and energy to pick it up and if you take it for granted then they're lost.

seeker

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 2:19 pm
NechaMom wrote:
Meizid/shogeg
Nafka Mina
Bekitzer
Davka
Bderech klal

Ooh davka is an important one I missed, thank you so much! People say it ALL the time.

theoneandonly

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 2:44 pm
Pshat
Pashut
Torah shebiksav
Torah shebaal peh
Baal peh (as in, to memorize)
Lifnim mishuras hadin
Anshei knesses hagdola
Malchus beis dovid

salt

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:28 am
To be 'motzi' someone.

The joke goes like this (but it sounds better in Hebrew)
A man asked his guest:
אתה רוצה לברך בעצמך או שאני אוציא אותך

The guest quickly made a bracha because he didn't want his host to remove him from the house.

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 12:53 pm
shakla v'tarya if you're working with boys (not sure if you're working with boys or girls).

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 1:03 pm
B’dieved
Lecatchila

You’d be surprised how many people don’t really know what these two mean.

amother
Glitter

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 1:16 pm
v'chulei
v'gomer
yotzei

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 1:30 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
shakla v'tarya if you're working with boys (not sure if you're working with boys or girls).

Girls, thanks! Boys and gemara is a whole other issue but I think there are already resources out there.

Adding yotzei and motzi to the list.
Also noticing that most of the terms coming up are halacha related which makes it even more important not to mix them up.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 1:49 pm
Bichlal
Zehu
Al achas kama v'kama
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics